• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SUB + Stereo System

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Keep forgetting SVS has distribution there....PSA now does too?
I was just informed on here yesterday. I hadn't heard until then, but being in the US I'm not always up...

OP
G

Georgeadv

A sub with bass management is a sub with dsp? Something like the kef kc62 for example?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A sub with bass management is a sub with dsp? Something like the kef kc62 for example?

Bass management would include a crossover to high pass the speakers with, and the KEF does appear to have that feature in the form of a high-passed line-out. Does your integrated amp have the ability to use such?

OP
G

Georgeadv

Bass management would include a crossover to high pass the speakers with, and the KEF does appear to have that feature in the form of a high-passed line-out. Does your integrated amp have the ability to use such?

Have literally no idea..

This is the back of the amp if it helps

Attachments

• 97730FF2-C045-44CD-8C34-3E19A2B4E014.jpeg
    97730FF2-C045-44CD-8C34-3E19A2B4E014.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 101

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have literally no idea..

This is the back of the amp if it helps

Not as much as the manual would, but perhaps the variable line level outputs to the sub, and the sub's high passed line outs back to the integrated to one of the line level inputs....but I'd check your manual.

(Ideally it would be thru a pre-out/main-in or tape loop)

OP
G

Georgeadv

Not as much as the manual would, but perhaps the variable line level outputs to the sub, and the sub's high passed line outs back to the integrated to one of the line level inputs....but I'd check your manual.

(Ideally it would be thru a pre-out/main-in or tape loop)

I will check

How would that work? The sub would send the signal back to amp?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since the Amp doesn't have a built in crossover/bass management, you want the subwoofer you purchase to have a built in crossover/DSP to manage the crossover. SVS "pro" line units have a DSP that will handle the cross over as well as room correction. So I would recommend you get a Subwoofer that can perform both of those functions. You can hook it up either to the pre-amp output RCA or the speaker outputs. Both will work depending on your subwoofers inputs.

use @sweetchaos subwoofer selection spreadsheet to find the best one in your budget that handles room correction and low pass filtering duties and you are set.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will check

How would that work? The sub would send the signal back to amp?

Yes, the high-passed signal from the sub is in the form of rca line-outs so you need a way to route that back to your amp section. Don't know if or which of the line inputs would function well (assuming they're both available too).

OP
G

Georgeadv

My manual only says this

Attachments

• 5538628B-D021-453A-A6A4-C16156995314.jpeg
    5538628B-D021-453A-A6A4-C16156995314.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 78

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
G

Georgeadv

Thats good!

So the line would be Streamer>dac>analogue signal>Sub>high pass>higher analogue signal>amp>amplification>speakers?

If this is correct, my speakers would not play the lower frequencies which will be handled by sub?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thats good!

So the line would be Streamer>dac>analogue signal>Sub>high pass>higher analogue signal>amp>amplification>speakers?

If this is correct, my speakers would not play the lower frequencies which will be handled by sub?
That will work. If it doesn't for some reason, or becomes a hassle, you could run your front speakers full range and match the subwoofer phase to them. You play a test tone at the crossover frequency and adjust the phase until it sounds like one single source playing the tone.

Oh I just remembered. I think This little dsp dongle can do what you need for the diagram you described. Watch the video and check see if that will work.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thats good!

Well that bit in the manual doesn't account for feeding a high-passed signal back to the integrated amp. I took a look at your manual, I doubt the analog inputs will be suitable for a loop. You have the two rca inputs, but it doesn't appear either will work for passing the high-passed signal back to the integrated amp as you'll have the input set for the source (say optical input for example) and using the analog rca inputs will be separate from processing of the input source. Once upon a time a tape loop or processor loop would take care of such. You really don't have a good option for even inserting external bass management (like via minidsp) that I can see. Might ask Hegel....

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So just run the fronts full range and run the sub via preouts and manage the bass and crossover, delay, and phase on the sub to match the fronts. It's a very common setup that will work just fine.

Here's a great article on how to do that manually.
https://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So just run the fronts full range and run the sub via preouts and manage the bass and crossover, delay, and phase on the sub to match the fronts. It's a very common setup that will work just fine.

Not much choice. Like a lot of 2ch gear, just not good at integrating subs.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah. Hopefully more 2ch gear will start including that optionality as the flexibility and performance/price benefits of a 2.1 are really nice. Honestly with the wide recognition that room correction and DSP are the next biggest improvements in sound quality, the integrated products should start accommodating that possibility if it's not offered in the product itself.

Newman

Major Contributor
the wide recognition that room correction and DSP are the next biggest improvements in sound quality

By 'next big improvements', you mean 15 years old AV tech is about to breach the battlements of hifi-world? I'm not holding my breath.

For too many enthusiasts, the definition of hifi is 2 channels and direct signal paths.

cheers

OP
G

Georgeadv

Well that bit in the manual doesn't account for feeding a high-passed signal back to the integrated amp. I took a look at your manual, I doubt the analog inputs will be suitable for a loop. You have the two rca inputs, but it doesn't appear either will work for passing the high-passed signal back to the integrated amp as you'll have the input set for the source (say optical input for example) and using the analog rca inputs will be separate from processing of the input source. Once upon a time a tape loop or processor loop would take care of such. You really don't have a good option for even inserting external bass management (like via minidsp) that I can see. Might ask Hegel....

I will talk to Hegel about this and post back here

Hotwetrat

By 'next big improvements', you mean 15 years old AV tech is about to breach the battlements of hifi-world? I'm not holding my breath.

For too many enthusiasts, the definition of hifi is 2 channels and direct signal paths.

cheers

I feel you - it's ridiculous

SVS have a nice subwoofer matching tool where they tell you the LPF and slope to match with, I'd say near all popular speakers.

For mine it was 60hz 24db Slope.

In the end it's 'to taste' IMO.

Top Bottom