• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub placement and connection dilemma

RPG

Forum Donor
I have a somewhat unique situation and sort of posited this in another thread, but wanted to get a wider number of opinions. I am replacing old and failing subs with new ones. Listening is two-channel, music, only (no HT). Listening area is basically an open plan living room/dining room/kitchen but with some difficult angles and nooks and crannies. I listen from fixed, very carefully positioned chair, equidistant (laser-measured) from speakers.

Equipment:

2 Revel F-208
1 Benchmark AHB2 amplifier (does not have any built-in room correction ability such as Audyssey, etc.)
1 RME ADI-2 Dac (has 5 band PEQ and can EQ each channel separately or together)
2 SVS PC-2000 Pro subs (have internal DSP, including 3 band PEQ)
2 speaker level to line level converters
2 wireless sub adapters

For purposes of this discussion, no additional equipment will be considered and, due to wiring, physical layout, and aesthetic considerations, no other options can be considered other than those listed below. I have a calibrated mic and room measurement software and have some experience doing room correction in the context integrating my old subs w/the speakers. Here are the options for dual sub positioning:

1. Behind speakers position. Both subs about 20" behind each speaker, equidistant from MLP.

2. Diagonal position. One sub behind one speaker, close to a corner, the other in the opposite corner behind the MLP. Sub in front would approx. 9 feet from MLP, the one behind approx. 7 feet behind MLP. From what I read, this positioning---at least theoretically---might be better than option (1).

Options for connections:

1. Both subs fed wirelessly (for purposes of this discussion, let's assume no dropouts or interferences)
2. Both subs fed via a speaker level to line level converter (standard rca cable)
3. One sub fed from a line level converter, the other fed directly (via standard rca) from dac to sub

Combining all these into my real world choices, below are my only options. Which one of these do you think would most likely give the best result?

1. Running both subs wirelessly in the diagonal corner sub position configuration.

1. Running both subs fed off the line level converter/speaker terminals in the behind the speakers position configuration.

1. Having the subs in the diagonal corner position and running one sub fed off the line level/speaker terminals and the other fed off the dac via RCA.
I have posed these same options to both Benchmark and SVS. I have read the ASR thread on group delay audibility and it is wayyy over my head. Thanks to all who respond for your input!

Last edited:

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I guess I would try it both ways, since it is essentially two options. Deal with the wiring part after you have the placement part done.

I think I would start with the diagonal position and start wirelessly for simplicity. This will allow you some freedom to move things around to the "best" spot (to the extent that you can adjust them a little bit).

OP
R

RPG

Forum Donor
I guess I would try it both ways, since it is essentially two options. Deal with the wiring part after you have the placement part done.

I think I would start with the diagonal position and start wirelessly for simplicity. This will allow you some freedom to move things around to the "best" spot (to the extent that you can adjust them a little bit).

Thanks! There's a little wrinkle I hadn't considered. In one of the corners, I'd have maybe a 2 foot or so radius in which to move that sub. The other corner, not more than an inch or two, laterally only. But, I'd have those options with either the wireless or the "one on RCA direct to RME, the other on line-level converter" option. So, then we're back to whether that hybrid wired option would offer any advantage to the 100% wireless option (assuming the wireless works flawlessly---which it may or may not).

Top Bottom