• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub output question

LouB

I've got a Marantz Model 40n on the way I'm swapping it out from a Marantz PM8006 no sub used with 8006. My question is on the model 40 sub output will it cancel out the low freq. going to the left & right speakers ? I've read manual & googled it but can't seem to find an answer. My speakers are Paradigm SE 3's and with PM8006 there is plenty of bass for music. With the Model 40 I'm going to use it for music & TV & would like a sub to handle the movie soundtracks.
It seems with a sub the lows would get cancled out at the mains but I may be completely wrong.
The SE 3 crossover seems to get pretty low at 40HZ if I'm looking at this right. Not sure what (din) means
Thanks

freq.png

Lednek

It sound like you're refering to a high pass filter. I can't think of any reason you wouldn't want the sub woofer to handle all frequencies below 80hz.(they do it better) More to the point. If you want your mains to handle low frequencies, don't get a subwoofer. If you get a sibwoofer, use the high pass filter to integrate the sub with the mains.

OP
L

LouB

It sound like you're refering to a high pass filter. I can't think of any reason you wouldn't want the sub woofer to handle all frequencies below 80hz.(they do it better) More to the point. If you want your mains to handle low frequencies, don't get a subwoofer. If you get a sibwoofer, use the high pass filter to integrate the sub with the mains.
I guess I wasn't clear in my post. My question is, when a sub is plugged does the amp automatically cut the low freq. to the mains ? I don't believe the Marantz Model 40 has a high pass filter. I don't want the low freq. going to the mains.
I was assuming the low pas filter on the amp affected the sub output but if affects the main output than that answers my question.
Thanks

Last edited:

Lednek

It depends on the reciever. The manual for the Marantz only shows a loww pass filter. You would need a high pass filter to meet your needs. Not many stereo recievers are configured this was. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Outlaw audio. The low frequencies won't get canceled out. It just makes integration a bit tricky to keep the lows from the sub and mains from overlapping. You can use partial port plugs on your mains to tame the base a bit.
20230415_112910.jpg
I've found a section of pool noodle works really well.

OP
L

LouB

It depends on the reciever. The manual for the Marantz only shows a loww pass filter. You would need a high pass filter to meet your needs. Not many stereo recievers are configured this was. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Outlaw audio. The low frequencies won't get canceled out. It just makes integration a bit tricky to keep the lows from the sub and mains from overlapping. You can use partial port plugs on your mains to tame the base a bit.View attachment 279473 I've found a section of pool noodle works really well.
Thanks for the tip, I wondered why guys were plugging ports. Anyway got definitive answer to my question here, on post 800 NTK responded to my questions.

Top Bottom