• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub in an apartment - what if I put it right next to me and turn it to lowest setting?

Katji

Major Contributor
"Sounds travels up" mother used to say. The taxi sub booming from outside, 10 floors below, overwhelms my music. And the tsk-ka-tsk sound. ...You know, t wouldn't stop me sleeping. What bothered me then was when, 7th floor apartment, one house next door had some pond or something, with..I dunno, a hundred frogs. It was shocking, how loud it was.

Katji

Major Contributor
Are you saying the sb1000 may be better at not annoying neighbors than the pb1000?
I think so. I'm not sure. But I don't need more SPL and a good 30 Hz would be good for me. Speakers I have now supposed to do 38, maybe it comes close to that, but i have EQ reducing dB below around 40-45 to reduce the room boom. But i'd like to high-pass so the main speakers only have to do above 50-60 /whatever. And see how it goes.
For me, definitely sealed subwoofer.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
What is usually most irritating are the booming bass peaks. So make sure you tame the room modes. The best way to do that is two (or more) small subwoofers and some dsp equalization. Measure the response.

Last edited:

nc535

Two things I haven't heard in this thread that are relevant:
1. the use of mechanical bass shakers in seating to give the feel of really deep bass without the penetrating sound
2. the magnitude in the reduction of required SPL when the sub is placed within a fraction of a meter of the listener. A normal listener to sub distance would be on the order of 3m. If instead the sub is behind or under the listener at a distance of .5 m, that is 2.5 halvings of distance for 15 db reduction in sub SPL output for the same sound level at the ear. Furthermore, at such a distance the room is less able to intrude; your ear functions somewhat like a close microphone used for quasi-anechoic in room measurements.

Katji

Major Contributor
the magnitude in the reduction of required SPL when the sub is placed within a fraction of a meter of the listener. A normal listener to sub distance would be on the order of 3m. If instead the sub is behind or under the listener at a distance of .5 m, that is 2.5 halvings of distance for 15 db reduction in sub SPL output for the same sound level at the ear. Furthermore, at such a distance the room is less able to intrude; your ear functions somewhat like a close microphone used for quasi-anechoic in room measurements.
Excellent! [At last!] That was OP question in the first place. Best news I've heard in a long time. Thanks to OP for asking about it - I'd never even thought of it before, because the focus is always on the room modes and what to do about it.

OP
T

theonline3333

Thanks everyone. I did look into bass shakers but every post I read about it said that it was not a good idea to use one without a sub. That it was not good as a replacement and without a sub it would feel weird. I am currently leaning toward trying a sub like the sb1000. From the recommendations that sealed is better than ported for this type of use. That is interesting about having to change stuff if you sit close to the sub. I do not understand much of what you were talking about. I hope I am not biting off more than I can chew. I was hoping that this would be pretty easy to set up without needing to know a lot of audio science.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
What is usually most irritating are the booming bass peaks. So make sure you tame the room modes. The best way to do that is two (o rmore) small subwoofers and some dsp equalization. Measure the response.
Sure. I do that. I do wonder, however, how the bass that is transmitted by the building structure affects my neighbors' apartments/rooms and their varying modes. :rolleyes:

I've not had any complaints but they probably do not know where the noise source is. :)

Willem

Major Contributor
Concrete structures transmit contact noise, as you will notice when someone is drilling. Air transmitted noise isn't really propagated very much by a concrete structure. Our detached house is built the modern Dutch way, i.e. with brick walls and concrete floors and ceilings. We can play the main system pretty loud in the living room, and if the interior doors are closed I will not hear much in my study one floor above.

MCH

Major Contributor
To be honest, most of the music I listen to don't give my subs much to do, only when I play music some might say I am not supposed to play at my age....
In any case, the only times the neighbor came down to complain was because of my wife playing violin, nothing to do with me, and I have been using this fact each and every time someone at home tells me the music is too loud.
(thank you neighbor, I will be grateful for ever)

Katji

Major Contributor
Concrete structures transmit contact noise, as you will notice when someone is drilling. Air transmitted noise isn't really propagated very much by a concrete structure. Our detached house is built the modern Dutch way, i.e. with brick walls and concrete floors and ceilings. We can play the main system pretty loud in the living room, and if the interior doors are closed I will not hear much in my study one floor above.
Drilling, yes :confused: I have had much of it in recent weeks. Impact drill of course, and for several months new building structures at ground level, wih jackhammers, but that relatively background.

But how modern?
Hempcrete...I watched a good tv program last night. Apparently very good heat insulation. Also, much less energy in manufacture. They said concrete is fired at 1500 degrees, and then there is the brick making. They said approximately 43% global effect is related to construction industry.
Also fire-retardant- especially relevant versus shack/informal structures.
Unfortunately, very, :( importing it from Europe, costing 3x more.
Anyway, I suppose it is also acoustically absorbent.

Nootmuskaatje

I use a pb1000 pro and never get complaints. I listen to music at -40/50, which bothers nobody and isn't on 24/7. I don't even like loud music, rather keep my ears long-term. For movies and series with good audio/video, I turn it up to -15/20. They do notice that, but movies are much less bothersome than having it boom continuously.

I've had one complaint though. That was for Tenet, the vases of the neighbour above me kept rinkling while she had to do some work requiring concentration. But Tenet is more bass than movie, so that I could understand. I watched Blade runner when she wasn't home. I also never watch stuff after 10pm. I sleep at 10, but even if I didn't sleep, the volume won't be high during that time.

YMMV ofcourse, you could have bitching neighbours that knock at every sound.

OP
T

theonline3333

Thanks again everyone. I have one last question on this.

I am currently trying to decide between the sb-1000 and the pb-1000. I can get either for the same price, $425. I had decided on sealed before because I thought it was cheaper and some people recommended it since I do not want to annoy neighbors. Just making sure that is still the same recommendation if they are the same price. Should I get the ported pb-1000 instead since same price?

Top Bottom