• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub in an apartment - what if I put it right next to me and turn it to lowest setting?

theonline3333

I just bought a Denon s760h avr with emotiva b1+ and c1+ for LCR and neumi bs5s for surrounds for my first real home theater setup. I am now trying to decide on how to handle the sub since I live in an apartment and do not want neighbors to hear any of my bass or sound system.

I have been searching for posts about this but the only ones I can find half the people say its ok and half say not to but I cannot find anyone that suggested moving the sub right next to the listening position and turning it on its lowest setting.
Is that something that could be done or is there a reason I was not able to find any other posts about it? I do not care about how stuff looks and I am the only person listening.

Thanks!

Mojo Warrior

Mojo Warrior

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quoting a Floyd Toole post in AVS Forum.
I had a near-field sub, inches behind my seat in my first "installed" system in about 1969 - before subwoofers were much talked about. It worked - for me.

It was an 18 lunch driver, installed through the wall of a split-level house, open in the rear to the basement. Free air resonance was 20 Hz, which was maintained after installation. Not for everyone, but in those days I was definitely in the DIY category. My wood shop in the basement had great bass, but nothing else :(
I don't know if turning the sub volume way down to avoid bothering your neighbors can still give you satisfactory bass. But nearfield sub should work (when they are cross-overed low enough).

MCH

Major Contributor
I have recently seen in the forum someone posting pictures of subs literally built in his chairs. I don't know how to find the post now, but if what you want is a bit of body moving without your neighbours noticing...

delta76

Major Contributor
Alternatively, for a down firing subwoofer you can make your own using a slab of granite or flooring tile and isolation pads / feet. Also anti-vibration feet for washing machines are useful.

Would this work for a tower speaker with too much bass?

DanielT

Major Contributor
I just bought a Denon s760h avr with emotiva b1+ and c1+ for LCR and neumi bs5s for surrounds for my first real home theater setup. I am now trying to decide on how to handle the sub since I live in an apartment and do not want neighbors to hear any of my bass or sound system.

I have been searching for posts about this but the only ones I can find half the people say its ok and half say not to but I cannot find anyone that suggested moving the sub right next to the listening position and turning it on its lowest setting.
Is that something that could be done or is there a reason I was not able to find any other posts about it? I do not care about how stuff looks and I am the only person listening.

Thanks!
Welcome newcomer!:)

1. Technically, how sound propagates in the apartment complex.

2. Tolerated, acceptance regarding (bass sound) and neighbors. Writing and unwritten rules.

No. 2 will be the deciding factor. Unfortunately, nothing we can advise.

Edit:
How the sub is mounted with woffers, placement sub and of course also size / power on the subwoffers and how loud and when on the day you play decides.
Plus construction building. Nr1.

Make a dB measurement. Show how much, how loud you want to listen.:)

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
T

theonline3333

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback and links. A little info if it helps. The apartment building was built in the last 6 years or so. I am on the second of three levels and the floors outside are concrete and the outer face of the building has a brick layer but not sure what the building is actually made of. I do know that every once in a while I can hear one of my neighbors sound system bass but I think that may be because they are just inconsiderate of the level. I do not really pump the volume up much when I watch movies or tv and I would very likely not listen to much if any music on them.

If I do get a sub I not only do not want complaints I do not want neighbors hearing or feeling it. Though I would be doing movies and tv not music so it would not be a steady stream of high bass just when something happens in a show. I do not want to be sitting there worried about turning the bass down a lot. I do not understand what you mean about turning the crossover low but if I do get a sub I will look into that. If I do get a sub I will also look into these sound reducing products.

I think maybe the best thing for me to do would be to set up the 5.0 system then see if I feel like I am missing anything. I would hate to buy a $500 or so sub to then not be able to use it at all or always be sitting with the remote in my hand worried about turning it down. Though most of my tv watching is during the day and not usually past 10 or 11 at night.

Katji

Major Contributor
It's the same with me, that's why I'm interested.
Maybe having the sub close to me, with lower SPL, would be better, regardless of room acoustics measurements.

If I do get a sub I not only do not want complaints I do not want neighbors hearing or feeling it.
Exactly. I stay beneath the radar here.
No neighbour problems is why I stay here. (But that's all another story.)

I do know that every once in a while I can hear one of my neighbors sound system bass but I think that may be because they are just inconsiderate of the level.
I get it sometimes, don't know if above/below. Less than once in a month, maybe once in 6 weeks, something like that. Horrible music, but note that what I listen to is 90% heavy bass music. But not loud. After 9-10pm, I make it very quiet, usually switch it off and go watch tv.
But I know this building, since 1980s. It's in the hood, put it that way. This time on the 10th floor. Sometimes minibus taxis with subs.

The apartment building was built in the last 6 years or so. I am on the second of three levels and the floors outside are concrete and the outer face of the building has a brick layer but not sure what the building is actually made of.
This one built 1970, with top fittings and so on. Brick walls between reinforced concrete columns, concrete floors. Bass goes through. Or is conducted by it. One thing that might influence it: The vertical channels or ducts [whatever they're called] for the pipes and cables.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks!
Something you may want to check out is the SVS Micro 3000. There are a few threads on it if you search.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Exactly. I stay beneath the radar here.
No neighbour problems is why I stay here. (But that's all another story.)
Here's the challenge, yes, stay under the radar. Do not over-irritate your neighbors BUT! neighbors must also accept that other neighbors do things! Such as Neighbors have neighbors and must agree to live together, in some way. That is the challenge of having neighbors close by. Compromises, tolerance, adaptation, acceptance are keywords.:)

Edit:
How it shall be done? Then we talk about different cultures and contexts. For example, there is a little difference in doorm when studying and ...:)

Last edited:
OP
T

theonline3333

Thanks everyone. I will check out that svs micro sub though it looks quite a bit over my budget. Someone else recommended I check out the emotiva s8 sub compared to the $400 - $500 svs subs. I will have to think about my options.

Haha this home theater started out as thinking I should upgrade my old 50" tv to a $500 4k tv but ended up getting a 77" oled instead then the tv speakers sounded bad and was wanting to spend a little on a soundbar which as soon as I started researching I saw that was not recommended so I built a 2.0 setup and now jumped clear over that to an 8k avr and 5 or 6 speakers. What a rabbit hole this is.

Chaconne

This question got me thinking; Instead of putting the subwoofer NEAR your listening position, how about putting it UNDER your listening position. Plant your tail on top of it and use it as a seat. I know it sounds funny or maybe a stupid idea, but I really kind of wonder what it would be like, assuming the sub is built sturdily enough. (There's a certain scene from "Blazing Saddles" that might be especially fun!)

Katji

Major Contributor
Well, that is what i am going to do - when i have the high-pass facility organised. 1 small subwoofer - "decent" quality - on a platform of 2 pieces of pine wood or Supawood (MDF) with those blue sandwich pads in between. Not slabs of marble, I want to be able to move it around easily.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How well do you know your neighbors and how quiet are they? You may find having some LFE firepower comes in handy now and then!

My circumstance is similar, but possibly worse. The building is a 100+ year old brownstone townhouse with dubious construction. So I went with an SVS SB1000 and spent a lot of time dialing it in. Its SPL is lower than the preferred curve around here but it keeps me from receiving any complaints or broomstick thuds from below.

If your AVR allows switching between EQ curves you could set one for daylight hours and the other for p.m. hours.

OP
T

theonline3333

How well do you know your neighbors and how quiet are they? You may find having some LFE firepower comes in handy now and then!

My circumstance is similar, but possibly worse. The building is a 100+ year old brownstone townhouse with dubious construction. So I went with an SVS SB1000 and spent a lot of time dialing it in. Its SPL is lower than the preferred curve around here but it keeps me from receiving any complaints or broomstick thuds from below.

If your AVR allows switching between EQ curves you could set one for daylight hours and the other for p.m. hours.
Thanks. I do not really want to have any of my bass heard or felt by neighbors. I am leaning toward a svs sub. What do you mean by your SPL is lower than the preferred curve? Are you saying the sb1000 may be better at not annoying neighbors than the pb1000?

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks. I do not really want to have any of my bass heard or felt by neighbors. I am leaning toward a svs sub. What do you mean by your SPL is lower than the preferred curve? Are you saying the sb1000 may be better at not annoying neighbors than the pb1000?
Oh no, nothing of the sort. I'll leave it to people far more knowledgeable than I (pretty much everyone on this site) to deal with the sealed vs. ported question. I simply meant that I have a sub but my SPL curve doesn't match the Harman curve that's the ASR default. Meaning, I'm getting LFE but they're less pronounced than most people would like. Because my downstairs neighbors would almost certainly disagree with 'most people'.

Edit: P.S. Why can conscientious people like OP never live above me?

Top Bottom