• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub for Kali Audio IN-8 V2

Doctors11

Looking forward to your thoughts on this. I'll be building a desktop system at some point and I'm leaning towards the Martin Logan Dynamo 800x. My thoughts are that sticking a sub under a desk is far from ideal so I was hoping the built in Anthem Room Correction would help in that regard. Any thoughts?

io53

Ordered the PRESONUS TEMBLOR T10 sub tonight.
I appreciate all the comments and help.

I was looking at that one too before getting the Adam sub, but didn't find any specs on what level it can play 20Hz. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it! You don't happen to have a UMIK-1? :)

OP
King_Pin

King_Pin

I was looking at that one too before getting the Adam sub, but didn't find any specs on what level it can play 20Hz. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it! You don't happen to have a UMIK-1? :)
No I don't. Honestly and I know people here will hate to hear this but 10 years ago I stopped taking audio so seriously and prefer to do things by ear. I've been very lucky that all the research I do before any purchases has led to me never being disappointed.

The last time I took measurements was only because I had a friend at my house who wanted to set up my subs I built. He brought his Umik and set up REW and my mini dsp and went to work. I told him let me know when he was done and I was upstairs and smoked some ribs. :D

He did a good job.
2-21" subs each in their own ported cabinet tuned to 13hz and each powered by their own amp on dedicated 20 amp circuits.

edit: The speakers in that pic were temporary. In my closet I have my dream speakers in parts waiting to be built. X0vers were designed and assembled for me, driver measured. Right now they are just $10k worth of parts sitting in 3 closets in the house cause I have no room to put them when I build them.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 236
OP
King_Pin

King_Pin

Nice to see that they did stand the torture of transport well.
Not sure if you saw the other thread I posted in but this was one of the Kali boxes.

Attachments

• IMG_20210706_151646.jpg
    IMG_20210706_151646.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20210706_151650.jpg
    IMG_20210706_151650.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 214
OP
King_Pin

King_Pin

@King_Pin happy with your Presonus/Kali combo?
Yes very happy. I know my setup is less than ideal but it's way more than I need and much more than I expected TBH.
The sub IMO is more then capable and from someone who likes things to go loud the Kali's seem to do that without any problem.
Would I suggest this setup for home theater or tv setup...no, but they aren't built for that purpose. Near/mid-field they are perfect and the sub does in fact go low enough and has enough impact for movie watching at a desk.
IMG_20210912_195311.jpg

Filio45

Glad it worked out! How are the Kali's on their own, without sub, in your set up, ?

Last edited:
OP
King_Pin

King_Pin

Glad it worked out! How are the Kali's on their own, without sub, in your set up, ?
That's how i use them 90% of the time.
I have no regrets.
I really thought the sound would be a bit thin without the sub but they work very well without it as long as you aren't expecting much impact.
Vocals are clean and smooth, the high end I love but I think may be a bit hot out of the box for some people. I tend to like it that way.
ALthough I am on a site where science is the key I am far from that. I gave up on perfect sound long ago after what I perceived as building the perfect speakers. Now I just enjoy what I have and what sounds good to my ear.

YSC

Major Contributor
Not sure if you saw the other thread I posted in but this was one of the Kali boxes.
with proper packing speakers are more likely to survive, after all the shock absorbing usually works well with rigid cabins, if you are mailing camera lens then another story, lens elements are sensitive to centering to the 0.01mm class...

jean-benoit

im thinking of getting a sub to. i have the IN-8 v2 as my main studio monitors and besides producing music, i also mix it myself, record vocalists etc..
as a lot of my work could be defined as oldschool rap, i tend to go for a deep 808ish kind of sub sound as my bass foundation. the IN-8 v2 are having really good bass response and i would say they go down to around 40 Hz (37Hz stated). however, if you have a filtered 808 kicksound, it's difficult to hear the extension.

i wonder if pairing the IN-8s with Kalis own WS-12 sub, that they would benefit much of the addition of the sub. i have a treatet studio that's more on the dry side when it comes to isolation. i don't produce or mix at huge volumes. but im looking for an almost perfect bass response. maybe the low mids could also benefit from this?

i have no previous experience with adding a subwoofer, so any input would be highly appreciated.

cheers

Top Bottom