• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub for Kali Audio IN-8 V2

King_Pin

I am in Canada and the Kali's aren't available here for another month or so.
I am more than likely ordering the speakers from Sweetwater or ZzSounds and having them shipped here.
I would rather not do that with a sub so I am thinking about using the JBL LSR310s or the Adam SubT10.
Leaning more towards the JBL for the reason that it has a lot more power and is closer in max spl to the Kali's and is available locally.
Is there anything in that price range with xlr in/out that I should be considering?

Kali IN-8 - 117db
JBL - 200 watts - max spl 113db 27hz -120hz
Adam - 130 watts - max spl 104db 28hz-120hz

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since you are going with sub anyway, why not choose the Kali IN-5 and a SVS 3000 Micro for example? Makes more sense to me.

io53

Don't get any of those for 8-inch monitors. The specs (at least the Adam) is at -6db, not -3. They will not add any significant value aside from being able to place it in a more optimal position.
Rather looks at SVS, Monolith, HSU.. Save a bit if you have to, it really is worth it.

dangandres

Room issues/nulls can make a small sub help with extension down to 25ish even with my in-8v2.

Case in point. I have a small sealed 8inch 110w episode subwoofer that I strategically placed in the room where it excites around 25hz the most. My setup is definitely better off because of it in the sub 30hz region. I will caveat that I use sonarworks DSP to even out response.

OP
King_Pin

King_Pin

I should have put this in my first post but this is a computer setup for listening to music, watching movies etc. Not a professional application.
I have 2-21" subs for my main movie watching.

Sub is going to be placed under my desk and I want more extension down in the mid 20's. But being under a desk size is of importance and I'd rather not spend more than $500-600 CAD for it.

OP
King_Pin

King_Pin

Don't get any of those for 8-inch monitors. The specs (at least the Adam) is at -6db, not -3. They will not add any significant value aside from being able to place it in a more optimal position.
Rather looks at SVS, Monolith, HSU.. Save a bit if you have to, it really is worth it.
I was looking at the PB1000 or SB1000 but I lose my balanced connections.

io53

I was looking at the PB1000 or SB1000 but I lose my balanced connections.

I get that, it's actually the reason I have the Adam T10s in the office. I've just gotten spoiled by my HT sub since I got the Adam.
After looking at Erin's measurement of the Kali, they go down to 44Hz, the Adam and JBL are both 32Hz at -3db. So you would still get a bit of extension.
I was looking at both of them at the time and, it's really hard to find data.. What I've scalped on the internet is:
Code:
        T10s     LSR310
-3db    32hz     32hz
-6db    28hz     --
-10db   --       27hz

And yeah, the JBL looks to get louder by the rated power.

OP
King_Pin

King_Pin

I get that, it's actually the reason I have the Adam T10s in the office. I've just gotten spoiled by my HT sub since I got the Adam.
After looking at Erin's measurement of the Kali, they go down to 44Hz, the Adam and JBL are both 32Hz at -3db. So you would still get a bit of extension.
I was looking at both of them at the time and, it's really hard to find data.. What I've scalped on the internet is:
Code:
        T10s     LSR310
-3db    32hz     32hz
-6db    28hz     --
-10db   --       27hz

And yeah, the JBL looks to get louder by the rated power.
Really what I should do is just build one. I could build a sealed 10-12" with amp and driver for probably $250-300. I'll have to see if there's any premade plans already on AVSguide. I can live without the sub for a while.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why bother with a subwoofer for the 8" kali's? They go down to 35 hz... Isn't that enough?

the need for a subwoofer is not just to have low frequency extension, it's to reduce harmonic distortion and intermodulation distortion allowing you to listen at a much higher level without the speakers sounding like crap.

it's not really optional imo.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the perfect choice in my opinion, nothing beats the SVS pro 1000 for the price.

Maybe I'm missing it in the manual, but is there a HPF for the outputs on the Pro 1000?

OP
King_Pin

King_Pin

I just checked out the PRESONUS TEMBLOR T10 sub and wow it has the specs of the SVS stuff but not as powerful. :cool:
And it's available right away in Canada unlike the JBL.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-temblor-t10-10-inch-powered-studio-subwoofer
  • 10" Composite Low Frequency Driver
  • 110dB Continuous SPL
  • Maximum Peak SPL: 113dB
  • 250 watts of Class AB Amplification
  • Variable 50Hz to 130Hz Low Pass Filter
  • 1/4" TRS Bypass Footswitch Jack
  • Continuously Variable Input Gain
  • Phase Switch
  • Pass-Through For Additional Connections
  • Reinforced MDF Cabinet with Bracing
  • 20Hz to 200Hz Frequency Response

Top Bottom