• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub connections & Ethernet connections on modern equipment

Old Hi-Fi Guy

Forum Donor
I think these are two very simple questions so I'll bundle them together in one thread...

First, my old AVR had a single sub output which I connected to a Behringer 2-channel amp. I used the amp in bridged mono to supply my sub. My sub is actually a pair of identical drivers, so I ran a pair of speaker cables from the single bridged output on the amp - one cable to each driver.

Now I have an AVR with two sub outs. Should I just use one of them and continue as previously? I assume the same signal is available at each outlet.

Second question: all my HDMI cables are supposed to do "HDMI with Ethernet". As I understand it, this is supposed to enable Ethernet connections to multiple devices from a single wall outlet without the need for an Ethernet switch. Is there a secret to making this work or should it all just "happen"? This is with a new Ultra HD player, TV, and receiver.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Now I have an AVR with two sub outs. Should I just use one of them and continue as previously? I assume the same signal is available at each outlet.
Generally, they get the same signal but, if you use room eq, some of them can set level and delays individually for each output.

OP
O

Old Hi-Fi Guy

Forum Donor
Generally, they get the same signal but, if you use room eq, some of them can set level and delays individually for each output.

Thanks, that makes sense. Different levels and delays won't be necessary in this case, because my sub is an infinite baffle with the pair of drivers facing each other in a box suspended in our living room floor (surprised my wife let me get away with that one).

Top Bottom