• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub choice: Neumann KH 750 or Genelec 7050?

OP
Instrugramm

Instrugramm

The Monolith Sub 12 looks interesting as the THD and linearity seem on par with the Neumann for 400 Euros less but as far as I can tell it doesn't have a switchable bypass mode and I don't really know how I would wire them with my Amphion 100 amp (usually I'd need 2 balanced XLR ins and 2 balanced XLR outs). I'll have to think things through.o_O

The Neumann annoys me by having the A-D-D-A conversion that introduces some sounding and 1.5ms of latency, which is something I don't want when recording with my Apollo Audio interface. Guess with this option I'd have to get a hardware controller and connect amp and sub seperately.

The Genelec 7060B would be great, too bad it's no longer made... /:

Any opinions on the Kali Audio WS-12?

Last edited:

hyperplanar

The Monolith Sub 12 looks interesting as the THD and linearity seem on par with the Neumann for 400 Euros less but as far as I can tell it doesn't have a switchable bypass mode and I don't really know how I would wire them with my Amphion 100 amp (usually I'd need 2 balanced XLR ins and 2 balanced XLR outs). I'll have to think things through.o_O

The Neumann annoys me by having the A-D-D-A conversion that introduces some sounding and 1.5ms of latency, which is something I don't want when recording with my Apollo Audio interface. Guess with this option I'd have to get a hardware controller and connect amp and sub seperately.

The Genelec 7060B would be great, too bad it's no longer made... /:

For what it's worth, 1.5ms of latency is nothing. If you sit 0.5m further from your speakers that causes the same amount of delay.

The KH750 does have a HF rolloff, and obviously it'd be nice if it didn't, but it's so slight that it's hardly noticeable:
16.png

If you're not gonna use the DSP in the KH750 (which is a shame IMO, it's fantastic for room correction) then why not get the KH805?

Last edited:
OP
Instrugramm

Instrugramm

For what it's worth, 1.5ms of latency is nothing. If you sit 0.5m further from your speakers that causes the same amount of delay.

The KH750 does have a HF rolloff, and obviously it'd be nice if it didn't, but it's so slight that it's hardly noticeable:
View attachment 110836

If you're not gonna use the DSP in the KH750 (which is a shame IMO, it's fantastic for room correction) then why not get the KH805?
The KH805 unfortunately doesn't fit in my room, the problem with the 1.5ms becomes apparent if you do direct monitoring via the Audio Interface for example when using a Universal Audio guitar amp plugin to record directly into a daw but using the Apollo's processing power. The other problem with the A-D-D-A conversion is that it can't really be transparent (as seen by the roll-off) and I would hate to lose the slightest amount of purity when it comes to the Amphions (the sub is really jsut there to be used rarely, so having slight alterations even when not in use is a bit of a bummer.

I'm not discarding the KH750 in any way, it's just such a shame that there are so many compromises If I decide to go that route.

Last edited:
OP
Instrugramm

Instrugramm

I'm likely going for an SVS PB-1000 and will use the speaker line inputs (or SB-2000 Pro + L.C.O.) in order to avoid any added colouration or degradation in the audio signal of my Amphions.

Last edited:
OP
Instrugramm

Instrugramm

Pretty set on going L.C.O. with single SB-2000 Pro and upgrading to dual SB-2000 Pros if I'm satisfied with the results of the single one.

Top Bottom