• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub 25K active speaker/system choice

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelecs are exceptionally reliable, as in known to last for decades under punishing studio use reliable. Moreso than any other brand save ATC. If you have the budget for 8351B+W371A the vanishingly tiny chance you might have to ship one one day is not really important IMO.

hege

Forum Donor
Obviously the W371A amp/dsp module is removable. Highly unlikely that anything else would break, so should be enough to ship it.

Digby

Major Contributor
Obviously the W371A amp/dsp module is removable. Highly unlikely that anything else would break, so should be enough to ship it.
A good point. What is the oldest equipment they still repair? If I was purchasing end game equipment, I think I'd like 30 years worth of support (taken as a given that the company and I am around for that length of time).

ethanchiu10

A good point. What is the oldest equipment they still repair? If I was purchasing end game equipment, I think I'd like 30 years worth of support (taken as a given that the company and I am around for that length of time).

"Today we still receive requests for repairs and spare parts for products manufactured in the early 1980s – and we are able to service most of them." - Warranty and Product Lifetime - Genelec

Its certainly one of the main reasons I choose to go with Genelec over other manufacturers of equivalent quality. The other main reason being expandability to surround sound setups.

Berlin

Candidates ruled out : passives (Salon2 could have been the exception, but certainly a challenge to find a mint pair and have it shipped from US to my island), other actives like ATC (I like their look, but they are quite expensive and not SOTA), Geithain (don't like the bulk size/look, no detailed measurements/spinorama),
After listening to Geithains I made the decision that they will be my next speakers. When comparing them to Genelecs (not the Ones) they sounded much more "natural" to me. Yes, they are bulky but with the right stands they can look really really nice in a living room imho....

https://www.liedtke-metalldesign.de/attachments/Image/922-GK.jpg?template=generic

https://pin.it/2aNRMyu

OP
L

lherrm

After listening to Geithains I made the decision that they will be my next speakers. When comparing them to Genelecs (not the Ones) they sounded much more "natural" to me. Yes, they are bulky but with the right stands they can look really really nice in a living room imho....

https://www.liedtke-metalldesign.de/attachments/Image/922-GK.jpg?template=generic

https://pin.it/2aNRMyu
I must say I'm lusting for the Geithain active floorstanders : https://www.me-geithain.de/en/aktiv-lautsprecher-1.html

Especially the ME800K : https://www.me-geithain.de/en/me-800k.html

1651819038093.png
ME800K-Freifeld-eng.png

And the ME802K : https://www.me-geithain.de/en/me-802k.html

1651819071446.png
ME802K-Freifeld-eng.png

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
It made it to my island (sorry @YSC). Not to my house yet.
Waiting for the customs to rip me off, then I'll receive it.
You still have chance to mis ship it to Hong Kong my friend

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If everything goes fine by the end of the year, I'll be in position to upgrade my current system.
I'm currently using Focal Solo 6, which I enjoy, and I would like to step up to something a bit outstanding.
My use case is mere music/movie enjoyment in an untreated living room of about 5.5m x 7m.
My criteria :
- full range active stereo (2.0 or 2.2)
- best possible sound quality : SOTA flatness/directivity control/distortion/younameit...
- no need for very loud (no idea about specific SPL requirement)
- listening distance is from 3m to 5m away (sofa or dining table used as desk)
- not too technical to setup (looking at you, JBL M2)
- rather an integrated system if 2.2
- good looking, however subjective that is
- max budget is 25k (new)
- buying in 2022

I narrowed it down to :
- Grimm Audio LS1v2 + subs LS1s (~24K)
PROS : Bruno Putzey's design, all reported experiences are dithyrambics, accuracy totally unscientifically confirmed by "Blind test part II" here, can be upgraded over the time to newer versions (when/if they make one)
CONS : no detailed measurements/spin, small (but growing) company
- Genelec 8351B+W371A (~24K?)
PROS : SOTA mains, nice combo with the W371A adaptative woofer and its different modes, GLM, genelec reputation, could be a start for a HT setup if willing to go there later
CONS : not so sure about that "narrow soundstage" (vs Salon2 for example) people talk about here
- The upcoming GGNTKT M3 as a challenger (and probably much cheaper), based on what existing Models do, and the measure glimpses.

Candidates ruled out : passives (Salon2 could have been the exception, but certainly a challenge to find a mint pair and have it shipped from US to my island), other actives like ATC (I like their look, but they are quite expensive and not SOTA), Geithain (don't like the bulk size/look, no detailed measurements/spinorama), Kii Three (SOTA measurements - thanks @hardisj , but don't like the look, BXT bass module expensive and ugly for me), Dutch&Dutch8C (looks very good for both SQ and esthetic, don't care about distortion, but believed by me to be inferior to the 2 top contenders), JBL M2 (too complicated setup for me), Linkwitz LX521 (complicated setup, ugly), Genelec 1237A/1238A & Neumann KH420 (expected to be inferior to the top contenders, but how certain is that ? by how much ? who knows), Genelec 8361A (ugly, inferior to 8351B+W371A).

I have a kind of crush for the LS1s, but 8351B+W371 is probably the best Genelec can offer for this use case, which says much. Although I'd want to, there is no way to listen to any of them here (Reunion Island, small french rock in the Indian Ocean).
Buying blind would be kinda crazy but I would be game, because any contenders here are, imho, f****** great.
I could have a clear preference for one or the other though, if I could listen to them.
Also, I have no idea how much better these may sound other the cheaper (and supposedly less good) alternatives.
I haven't planned on a trip to Europe soon, but if there was an opportunity of listening to a few of them altogether, would such an event be of interest to any of you (in France) ? It would probably be with buying something in mind.

The input will be an upcoming Topping EX5 through analog.
I later plan to go digital and add room correction with something like Trinnov Amethyst (or Illusonic or DEQX).

What would be your objective and subjective reasons to choose Genelec over Grimm over GGNTKT (writing that, I just realize they all start with Gs) ?
Do you have others candidates I would have forgotten ?
You might consider the 8361’s. Much bitter bass amp prince is similar.

al2002

Forum Donor

Madlop26

found this thread today , now I find myself among the waiting crowd........I hate to wait lol

OP
L

lherrm

Customs asked for 4896€ (22%), about what I was expecting. Total of 27k€.
Now I got to take days of listening to make the hourly rate acceptable.
Will post pictures on arrival.
Have a nice week-end.

Top Bottom