• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub 25K active speaker/system choice

JRS

Major Contributor
My bad, I was thinking they were active. They should be. :cool: Maybe 750W for the 4 bass modules and 400 for the rest should do. Per side of course. Well thanks for pointing that out. I guess I'll retract the rec even though if I were looking at a dynamic driver system, that would be on my short list. Cost no object: YG Acoustics Sonja XVi. Think those are like a quarter million. Not that the OP has made anything but excellent choices, I would prefer a loudspeaker just bristling with high tech and looking the part.:D

CMB

Here's my late vote: https://www.perlistenaudio.com/products/s7t/
16 to 18K leaving $$ for room treatment and if it were me, some kind of beautiful carpet for the area of first reflections. Sub should you find it necessary. This thing just bleeds SOTA. (Your floor made me think of these, not as a reason).
View attachment 178371, w
Is it just me, to whom those drivers always reminds me fake copies of Louis Vuitton :) ?
Portefeuille-porte-cartes-Louis-Vuitton-damier-graphite-noir-gris-porte-monnaie.jpg

onion

First BAACH owner I have seen post here. Is it as good as it is touted--assuming one has narrow directivity speakers? I have even entertained making a trip to NYC just to hear it setup. Several reviewers who I respect say it gets no better when setup properly.
I think it is amazing. I know some prefer multi-channel but I have listened to multichannel audio in my home cinema setup and the 3d performance of Bacch is on another level. With Bacch, sounds from instruments and vocals emanate from a point in the 3d sound-field that is easy to localise and not confined to the speaker planes.
So maybe some advantages for the A16 emulation of multi-channel D&D's in a studio over a two channel Bacch emulation of 8341's taken in a home listening environment.
Just to clarify, the Bacch module I really like is where it uses real loudspeakers, and does not emulate them (Bacch-3d Sound). The headphone module (Bacch-hp) may be similar to the A16. I haven't heard the A16 - may have to arrange a demo for this...

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
I'm very interested in LX521 as well, and yes, linkwitz.store sells almost done setups. It's really the look of the "head" (which is purposely designed like that, I know) that makes it difficult to project it in my living room. If I could find a way around it, I might want to try this later. So you've had kii three and lx521 and kept the linkwitz. What made you take this decision ?
As for genelec look, it's really personal indeed. I love the W371A + 8351B combo.
Didn’t own the kii3, my friend is a dealer for them.

OP
L

lherrm

From my impression maybe worth wait Thomann for a quote, they usually are quite a bit cheaper than others, for this price range the 1-2% difference can be quite hefty
Here's Thomann quote :
8351B : 3360.50 € (excl VAT) x2
W371A : 8352 € (excl VAT) x2
So a total of 23425€ excl VAT
13.8% more expensive than my french dealer !
Ordering soon. W371A available in march, 8351B in May !

Last edited:
OP
L

lherrm

Here's my late vote: https://www.perlistenaudio.com/products/s7t/
16 to 18K leaving $$ for room treatment and if it were me, some kind of beautiful carpet for the area of first reflections. Sub should you find it necessary. This thing just bleeds SOTA. (Your floor made me think of these, not as a reason).
View attachment 178371
Thanks for you suggestion, but I don't like the look, don't know the brand much, and favor active speakers anyway (would have made an exception for Salon2), plus it would probably need subs to be full range flat.

Reactions: CMB
OP
L

lherrm

I think it is amazing. I know some prefer multi-channel but I have listened to multichannel audio in my home cinema setup and the 3d performance of Bacch is on another level. With Bacch, sounds from instruments and vocals emanate from a point in the 3d sound-field that is easy to localise and not confined to the speaker planes.

Just to clarify, the Bacch module I really like is where it uses real loudspeakers, and does not emulate them (Bacch-3d Sound). The headphone module (Bacch-hp) may be similar to the A16. I haven't heard the A16 - may have to arrange a demo for this...
Thanks to you, I'll be trying BACCH in the next few days, Intro version, with the Focal.
Will see with the results if I keep it and will also check with the Genelec when I get them.

CMB

Just curious, how do you get those delivered to the Réunion island?

Reactions: YSC
OP
L

lherrm

Just curious, how do you get those delivered to the Réunion island?
I think it'll be by plane. The french dealer is looking for a "transitaire". I guess it will be expensive.
W371A are heavy (61kg each).

YSC

Major Contributor
I think it'll be by plane. The french dealer is looking for a "transitaire". I guess it will be expensive.
W371A are heavy (61kg each).
wonders will it ended up like the Thomann quote if so.. but yea, plane transport such huge fragile stuffs is expensive

OP
L

lherrm

Thomann won't match the competitor's offer. Waiting for shipping quote (and Genelec announcement) to go further.

OP
L

lherrm

1500e for the shipping (170kg - 375lbs), by boat, 30 days.
So I'm looking at (20.5 + 1.5) * 1.23 (23% tax and customs fees) = 27k total delivered.
I can't help but having quite high expectations. Which should lead to delusion.

YSC

Major Contributor
1500e for the shipping (170kg - 375lbs), by boat, 30 days.
So I'm looking at (20.5 + 1.5) * 1.23 (23% tax and customs fees) = 27k total delivered.
I can't help but having quite high expectations. Which should lead to delusion.
well if you are biased to feel it sound like heaven, it's good delusion no?

CMB

I think to remember that you not even listend to the combo yet?

I didn’t dare to suggest, but wouldn’t you start with a pair of white 8361? You would save in terms purchase price and transport. I can’t complain about sound, bass, volume, looks. Our room sizes seem comparable.

Then if you shouldn’t be satisfied… you still could add the W971 in a second step based on onsight observation.

CMB

Maybe, a stupid question again, I don’t remember you having mentioned the costs for the GLM kit. Not that it is considerable, but just that you don’t forget to order it ;-).

OP
L

lherrm

I think to remember that you not even listend to the combo yet?

I didn’t dare to suggest, but wouldn’t you start with a pair of white 8361? You would save in terms purchase price and transport. I can’t complain about sound, bass, volume, looks. Our room sizes seem comparable.

Then if you shouldn’t be satisfied… you still could add the W971 in a second step based on onsight observation.
I would order 8351B instead of 8361A then (I think the first in horizontal position on top of the W371A looks perfect).
Yeah, it would probably be a smart move.
But I would like to go to another planet compared to what I already have.
Not sure the main could do that without the sub.

OP
L

lherrm

Maybe, a stupid question again, I don’t remember you having mentioned the costs for the GLM kit. Not that it is considerable, but just that you don’t forget to order it ;-).
Already ordered and at home :D (delivered in 3 days from Germany ! about 380e shipping & tax included).

CMB

Just seing that each W371 is supplied with GLM user kit.

OP
L

lherrm

Just seing that each W371 is supplied with GLM user kit.
Really ? I have 2 GLM sets to sell then, lol.
That's right :
1643293059985.png

I'll return the one I just got.

Top Bottom