• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub €400 closed-back

MENTOS

Hi,

I am looking for a new pair of headphones.
Currently I have the BLAM audio H1, but they are starting to wear out.
I am on the fence of buying a pair of AKG K371 or EMU Teak, but I don't want to have a missed opportunity of models i haven't noticed.

I do like the sound signature of slightly elevated bass as long as it doesn't bleed into mids.
I think the K371 might just be good for me, but the build quality issues concern me.
Austrian Audio Hi-X60 is better in build quality for example but I haven't found any reviews with actual frequency respons.

Any alternatives below €400, or just go for AKG K371?

staticV3

Master Contributor
OP
M

MENTOS

Thanks for the frequency response! I've been looking for it.
DCA should be easy to drive as well, thanks!

I will make my decision next week to place an order where I can.

OP
M

MENTOS

The Denons are interesting maybe I can even find 7200 slightly used.
DCA price is apparantly up thereyeah.
Focal Elegia is also one that is priced down to just 400.

RoA

I just bought a Beyer DT 700 ProX. Fantastic and very musical imho but it needs EQ.

If you have that possibility I'd warmly recommend it.

Dazerdoreal

DCA should be easy to drive as well, thanks!
  • Efficiency: 91dB/mW
  • Impedance: 12.5 ohms
Source: https://drop.com/buy/drop-dan-clark-audio-aeon-closed-x-headphones

Dont be fooled by the low impedance. The other part of the equation is the efficiency. (I once misunderstood this myself.)
I am not saying this is the hardest phone to drive ever, but I would guess it is harder than you might think.
I expect the 700 Pro X or the 5200 to go way louder from a weak source.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'm a fan of the K361/K371 series, so no alternate recommendation from me! Great headphones at the right price.

I've had my K361 for nearly 3 years, no issues. I am gentle with them, but if you are thinking of primarily for in-home use, no problem. If you will be carrying around a lot, well, could be an issue.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What do you use to power your headphones? DCA is probably the best bet if you have enough power on hand, otherwise you'd have to factor in the cost of an additional amp.

Metronomy

Hi,

I am looking for a new pair of headphones.
Currently I have the BLAM audio H1, but they are starting to wear out.
I am on the fence of buying a pair of AKG K371 or EMU Teak, but I don't want to have a missed opportunity of models i haven't noticed.

I do like the sound signature of slightly elevated bass as long as it doesn't bleed into mids.
I think the K371 might just be good for me, but the build quality issues concern me.
Austrian Audio Hi-X60 is better in build quality for example but I haven't found any reviews with actual frequency respons.

Any alternatives below €400, or just go for AKG K371?
I have the Austrian x60, headphones that isolate very well, very pleasant timbre but if you are looking for a lot of bass I don't feel like recommending this model. The noses are there but they are not so present in the sub bass. They go very well to me, I use them in mobility coupled with a blue ifi go blu you don't need so much power to make them sound good.

OP
M

MENTOS

I'm a fan of the K361/K371 series, so no alternate recommendation from me! Great headphones at the right price.

I've had my K361 for nearly 3 years, no issues. I am gentle with them, but if you are thinking of primarily for in-home use, no problem. If you will be carrying around a lot, well, could be an issue.
What do you use to power your headphones? DCA is probably the best bet if you have enough power on hand, otherwise you'd have to factor in the cost of an additional amp.
It is for in house use and i have an amp, the only thing holding me back for DCA is the price point.
I do take good care of my headphones, on the road I take IEMs with me instead of headphones anyway.
So either I find a deal on DCA, or I will go for AKG K371/Denon AH D5200.

buxtehude

If you are going to try 371, try 361 as well. When I was researching, I read people like 361 but not 371 and vice versa. So I ordered both and returned 371. For my taste, 371 had too much bass and made everything muddy. I really love 361's perfect neutral tone. So glad to see such an excellent headphones available at a sensible price.

Top Bottom