• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stuff that makes you go "hmmmm."

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Dumdum

That was standard practice when I was growing up for testing 9 volt batteries! You got used to what level of tingling you got for fresh or old batteries.
I’ve improvised holding ht leads at the side of the motorway to check a Vw campervan coil before... it worked unfortunately :D had plenty of 240v belts too from cables that were disconnected (alledgedly!)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
OK, I admit it. Even now I will do it if there is no multi-meter around.

I do it all the time for the boy's toys and battery operated stuff. Done it since I was a little boy. My 12 year old does it too! I agree with Amir, you can get pretty darn accurate with voltage +/-0.2V with practice- ouch!

Last time I changed all Dad's smoke detector 9V backup batteries, I tested them all with my tongue and ranked them in order. He of course got out the multimeter to confirm...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The world record holder for absorbing electricity became extremely strong and immortal.
frankenstein-monster-green-edit-andrew-read.jpg

Wombat

Master Contributor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Top Bottom