• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Study: Is I²S interface better for DACs than S/PDIF or USB?

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thx for review, Amir! The quote below will cause a schiit storm :)
As if you entered into a pub and declared:
- Gentlemen! Do you know that you are as a matter of science fact, nothing but pigs, animals.

Bottom line, please don't rely on fantasies like I²S improving audio performance. Insist on measurements being provided to demonstrate audible change in the output of the DAC -- the thing you hear. Don't accept hand gestures as evidence. And certainly not any appeal to a lay person's intuition as a replacement for proper data providing proof.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
The separate clock is conceptually simpler but why should it offer improved performance relative to a scheme that combines clock and data on one wire? It will still need 'clock recovery' based on edges that have been contaminated with jitter by sending it over an external cable, just like any other synchronous system. The only difference is that with the one-wire scheme it takes a little thought to design the system that separates the clock and data.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The only difference is that with the one-wire scheme it takes a little thought to design the system that separates the clock and data.
There is one difference: embedded clock in S/PDIF can be impacted by the actual data being transmitted. A separate clock won't be affected that way since it is data independent. As you say though, you still need to capture that "analog clock" and convert it to good digital clock.

mansr

Major Contributor
There is one difference: embedded clock in S/PDIF can be impacted by the actual data being transmitted. A separate clock won't be affected that way since it is data independent. As you say though, you still need to capture that "analog clock" and convert it to good digital clock.
Every S/PDIF sample (subframe) has a fixed preamble that can be used for clock recovery without any data dependence.

5th element

A comparison of S/PDIF to I2S is just fine, but a comparison to USB doesn't really make much sense. S/PDIF and I2S are both protocols for transmitting audio, USB is not.

I2S is a very basic communication protocol for transmitting audio data from one chip to another but it's also unedited, untouched and completely free from any processing. It is actually a three wire data protocol that includes the bit clock, the data stream and LR clock. The LR clock indicates which channel the incoming data is for and runs at the sample frequency. The data stream carries data and runs at the bit clock frequency (usually 64x fs these days). The bit clock is used in combination with the data line to tell the receiver when it needs to sample the data stream.

With audio transmission the stability of all three of the above clocks is absolutely paramount to achieving low jitter. These days a forth line is added, typically called the master clock, it isn't needed for data transmission and most devices don't even require the master clocks leading edges to be synchronised with the others, just that it runs at an exact multiple of them. Once upon a time, with R2R multi-bit DACs you didn't need anything other than the bit clock, data stream and LR clock as those were what carried the data. These days though, with DS DACs and ADCs the master clock is required to run the over sampling circuitry that operates at much higher frequencies. The master clock isn't really a part of what I2S was originally about but almost everyone includes one as it's necessary for DS device operation. Just like the other three clocks though clock stability is absolutely necessary for the master clock too if you want low jitter.

Whatever format your audio is in you need some way to turn it into an I2S data stream, this could be standard I2S, left justified or some form of TDM. They all use the same wires it's just the protocol is different. This is why the DAC-X26 has dip-switches on the bottom and is reason enough to show that I2S wasn't designed to be used over wires. It's not standardised in the same way that S/PDIF is, ie for faultless plug and play communication between any connected devices, but I digress. You need some way to turn your stored data into an I2S stream.

Back in the day we used CDs and had the associated silicon required to control and read the data from the CD and convert it into an I2S stream. This was all controlled by referencing the data extraction to the rate at which a master clock ran. *Note here I'm using master to describe a clock that must be obeyed, not today's usage which usually means the one that runs the fastest* Back then the data extraction was timed and delivered by the rate at which the master clock ran, if the master clock ran fast, so did your CD and people would sound like chip-munks. Obviously no one actually installed a 48kHz base oscillator into a 44.1kHz redbook system, but if you did so Alvin, Simon and Theodore would greet you.

The data extracted would be timed precisely to the ticks of the master clock and the CD player silicon would generate the bit clock, LR clock and data stream based off of it, your I2S data stream. This would then be input directly to a DAC chip, conversion would happen and you'd get audio. If your master clock oscillator was of high quality then you'd get low jitter performance. It's as simple as that. Change the clock to something better and you'd get lower jitter performance. Everything was timed and communicated from the master clock oscillator and everything was synchronous. This is literally the holy grail for audio quality, what you get off the CD goes straight into the DAC, the literal definition of bit perfect & low jitter. If you placed a DSP directly before the DAC then this would process the data, the output wouldn't be bit perfect any more because you've changed it by whatever you told the DSP to do, but it would still all be timed/referenced to the master clock (the one that must be obeyed) so you'd still have very low jitter performance. This would be the holy grail of how to do a DSP active loudspeaker, put the DSP between whatever gives you your I2S data stream and DAC and reference it all to the master clock.

So if this was perfect why fix what wasn't broken? Because it became necessary to transmit audio data from one box to another in a simple and reliable way. This is essentially what S/PDIF is and as nothing is as simple as one wire, one wire was chosen. There isn't any problem with doing this from the transmitter end either because the transmitter is still referenced to the master clock. The problem is at the other end, with the receiver. This is where things go horribly pear shaped.

Above I said this.

The bit clock is used in combination with the data line to tell the receiver when it needs to sample the data stream.

The trouble with S/PDIF is that there is no clock to tell the receiver when data needs to be sampled. The data and the clock are all baked into one line. Protocols are used to extract the clock and data but the extraction process uses an adaptive, ever changing process, usually based on PLLs. This results in the opposite of clock stability, what's required for low jitter. Essentially the S/PDIF receiver doesn't know when what's coming next is actually going to come next, it knows roughly when this is going to occur but there's nothing it can rely on, so they use a tunable PLL that can vary its frequency accordingly to match the rate at which the data is output as closely to the rate at which the data is input. Obviously there are buffers involved, so if the buffer starts to run empty, or starts to fill up too quickly the output data rate is adjusted to there isn't any break in the data stream, but PLLs don't have the same kind of clock stability required for ultra low jitter performance as oscillators do. I make it sound far worse than it is, it's not like you can perceive the changes in the PLL shifting as changes in pitch (like Alvin, Simon and Theodore up above), everything runs in a stable fashion, but the quality of the clock that the PLL can create is limited by the inherent limitations of PLLs so although the data gets there it does so with additional jitter versus what came out of the original box.

Effectively, with S/PDIF we've broken the link back to our ultra high quality master clock oscillator in our CD player and are now forced to do some nifty tricks to create something similar again. It's not just less than ideal it's a shambles in terms of what you don't want to be doing but it's simple and works. As an aside jitter is only an anomaly that crops up during data playback in real time. If you were a sound/recording engineer and used S/PDIF to transmit digital audio from one device into a PC for some post processing then it would be absolutely fine. All the data would get there intact. All the ones and zeros are in the right place, it's just that during immediate play-back, from the clocks generated by the S/PDIF receiver, you end up with subtle timing errors and those are what create jitter.

So what do you do? Why can't we just introduce another ultra low jitter master clock at the receiver end. You can do if you want but you still need the PLL. The trouble is that even if you use another of the same ultra low jitter oscillator used in your CD player the two wont run at exactly the same speed. They aren't synchronised, they are close, but not identical. This is where the asynchronous sample rate converter (ASRC) comes into play, in other words the 'jitter removal' part of what's included in ESS DACs. These take the bit clock, LR clock and data line that is generated by your S/PDIF receiver and process it. In doing so they (in basic terms) essentially generate a software based version of what the analogue waveform would look like for the signal input into it. You then attach your ultra low jitter master clock to the output side of the ASRC. The output side then samples the software waveform and creates a new set of data. This is then output from the ASRC, you get a new bit clock, LR clock and data line timed to a new master clock of ultra low jitter and Santa comes down your chimney. Jitter be gone. So it's perfect right? No. First of all it's not bit perfect because the output side of the ASRC generated a brand new set of samples. Second is that (apparently) the jitter present on the input of the ASRC is simply shifted to the output in a different form. ASRCs weren't actually invented to remove jitter, they were invented in order for two systems using dissimilar sampling frequencies to interface with one another. You might have an ADC and DSP that you want to link together. The obvious way to do this is to run one as a master and the other as a slave, but the world happens and they might both be masters, or both in entirely different boxes from one another, so the ASRC is used to allow them to talk to one another. It just so happens that ASRCs also attenuate jitter so they found themselves being incorporated inside DACs.

A very obvious way to circumvent all these jitter issues is to simply remove the S/PDIF receiver and transmit the I2S stream directly from box 1 to box 2. This isn't simple (like S/PDIF), for a number of reasons, but if you do it correctly then it does work very well. We can see this in the measurements above with the ESS chips jitter reduction switched off. The direct I2S stream is much cleaner. It should also be bit perfect because the on-board ASRC has been disabled. I've done I2S over network cables myself using LVDS no problems there and you can also get transformer based LVDS systems that offer isolation between one end and the other, a bit like TOSLINK optical cable only not using the S/PDIF standard.

I've watched a number of Paul McGowan's video's and can't stand them with his obvious pedalling of audio nonsense, but in this case he isn't exactly wrong. A direct I2S connection between two boxes is better. If the system your connecting together via I2S over cables has a data flow like the holy grail CD player described above, only with I2S over cables before the DAC, then you are literally still in holy grail CD player territory. Where I2S over cables makes very little sense is if you do have ASRCs, that you cannot turn off, being used. Or if your DAC has a USB interface...

Which then brings us on to the USB interface itself. This is just like the CD player transport above and isn't akin, at all, to S/PDIF/I2S. USB doesn't transmit audio data and even when used with a USB>Audio interface it doesn't transmit audio data. It transmits USB protocol packets of data. The USB silicon chip decodes the USB data packets and then creates an audio bit clock, LR clock and data stream based off of the data it receives. We're back in holy grail territory because we can, theoretically, connect an ultra low jitter master clock to the USB chip to which the I2S output is timed to.

I say theoretically because USBs protocol for data transmission isn't inherently suited to the kind of timing that audio wants for low jitter. Remember how the CD player spun at the rate dictated by the oscillator you had connected to it and everything else had to obey?...Yeah not quite the same with USB, it's more like S/PDIF. With basic USB the data transmission is not dictated by the clock that you've got connected to your USB>Audio chip. Apple had this sussed with firewire, which slaved the computer to the device it was connected to. Sadly USB dances to the tune of the computer, which is less than ideal. Basic USB>audio interfaces, like TIs PCM2902/2702 operate in crap mode with the computer timing everything and as as result they aren't particularly low jitter. For these you need an ASRC.

Modern USB>Audio devices, such as the XMOS products and the correctly configured Cmedia stuff operate in a different mode where the clock on board the USB device dictates the rate of data transmission. As far as I know the data is still sent down the USB cable using the same basic USB transmission protocol it's just that the USB>Audio device tells the PC when it needs more data, rather than the PC just sending it out whevever.

So basically speaking if you have a modern, high quality USB>Audio device as your source inside a stand alone DAC then there is absolutely no reason to use anything else to get your data into the DAC. Using I2S over wires is better than S/PDIF if everything at both ends is configured correctly to allow it to work and configured correctly to allow you to bypass any on board ASRC. It also requires the thing sending out I2S to be very low jitter in the first place. If it's not definitely use modern USB or S/PDIF + any on board jitter reduction. It's all just a huge bunch of ifs and buts and isn't particularly useful.

Because ESS are used so regularly in products it almost makes a lot of this redundant because their on board ASRCs aren't usually defeatable. If used with a decent quality oscillator you'll get excellent jitter performance whatever the source. It does kind of irritate me a bit because what I want to see is a modern USB input DAC using very low jitter oscillators at the USB>Audio converter, followed by DACs that aren't using ASRCs for bit perfect data going into and out of the DAC. It doesn't matter a jot if your USB>Audio converter is conveying bit perfect data from the PC if there's an ASRC somewhere in the chain after it. Yes ESS I'm looking at you!

gvl

Major Contributor
Because ESS are used so regularly in products it almost makes a lot of this redundant because their on board ASRCs aren't usually defeatable. If used with a decent quality oscillator you'll get excellent jitter performance whatever the source. It does kind of irritate me a bit because what I want to see is a modern USB input DAC using very low jitter oscillators at the USB>Audio converter, followed by DACs that aren't using ASRCs for bit perfect data going into and out of the DAC. It doesn't matter a jot if your USB>Audio converter is conveying bit perfect data from the PC if there's an ASRC somewhere in the chain after it. Yes ESS I'm looking at you!

9038PRO can be programmed to operate in sync mode with ASRC off, unsure if this is exposed in the X26 firmware but some other DACs allow to chose between sync and async modes. Hence my earlier request to test I2S with ASRC on and off, if technically possible.

tom.chen

Audio Company
Said a lot of useful information.
SU1 had some DIP to setting the I2S,X26 using software to setting.
thanks

Cosmik

Major Contributor
The trouble with S/PDIF is that there is no clock to tell the receiver when data needs to be sampled.
But there is: it's just that it's not as obvious if you look at it with an oscilloscope. Feed it through a little synchronous logic circuit and you can extract a separate clock and data stream.
A very obvious way to circumvent all these jitter issues is to simply remove the S/PDIF receiver and transmit the I2S stream directly from box 1 to box 2. This isn't simple (like S/PDIF), for a number of reasons, but if you do it correctly then it does work very well.
I see no fundamental difference, because I could do the same thing with S/PDIF (or an S/PDIF variant I could invent) and the little synchronous logic circuit. (I accept Amir's point that the data may itself influence the timing of the clock edges in a poor hardware configuration, but I see this as a secondary implementation-specific issue, not a fundamental one).

The issue isn't the frequency of the clock - S/PDIF includes a sample clock; it's the fact that by being passed over a long external cable, the clock has become contaminated with noise and its edges can no longer be used directly to time the sampling (even if you imagine filters and Schmitt triggers are 'cleaning' it, they're not eliminating the jitter).

The solution is a variant of a phase locked loop that can be implemented in a variety of ways: a clock that is a smoothed average of the incoming sample clock rate can be generated and used to clock the DAC (no sample values are changed but their timing is, now and again), or a locally-clocked DAC can resample and consume the incoming data at a rate that adapts (sample timing at the output is not changed but the sample values are). Either way, there's adaptation and there's some latency.

If you are saying that I2S over wires is clean enough to clock the DAC directly, then I see no reason why a one-wire system could not also do that. However, I am sceptical: a PLL of some kind is always going to be necessary to achieve the best jitter performance.

As you say, the 'holy grail' is the packet-based system with feedback controlling the data rate. I see no fundamental difference between the traditional CD player, CD-ROM, ethernet, USB etc. when used in such an asynchronous configuration. They're all equivalent when it comes to delivering data in loosely-coupled dollops at the request of a DAC clocked by a high quality oscillator placed right next to it.

Edit: My own active crossover system does it correctly - everything is slaved to the DAC (via asynchronous USB) and no sample conversion is necessary. However, I have implemented a contingency plan for when this is no longer possible, i.e. where MQA or similar becomes the default and the digital audio stream is no longer available to my software. In this case, I am prepared with my own high quality software-based asynchronous sample converter that will allow me to use S/PDIF as the source - I am assuming that S/PDIF outputs from PCs and streaming devices will always be available even if there is no access to the data prior to that. If this turns out to be a false hope, I will have to resort to an ADC..!

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Every S/PDIF sample (subframe) has a fixed preamble that can be used for clock recovery without any data dependence.

Just curious... Do you happen to know which receiver chip(s) make use of this method ?
Needs a 'big flywheel' that doesn't gets sync'd most of the time and logic to determine the subframe so it knows where to sync to.

Also is this recovery method superior in the end result (concerning jitter) and documented ?

chris719

Just curious... Do you happen to know which receiver chip(s) make use of this method ?
Needs a 'big flywheel' that doesn't gets sync'd most of the time and logic to determine the subframe so it knows where to sync to.

Also is this recovery method superior in the end result (concerning jitter) and documented ?

I am pretty sure Crystal had a patent on this a long time ago. I want to say that CS8416 and anything later do this.

chris719

I2S would be fine if sent over, say, twisted pair via LVDS. There is no point, though, unless you're adding a wire to send the MCLK back to the source so that you can clock the converter locally from it and avoid the use of a PLL completely.

The whole idea is predicated on the assumptions that:

1. SPDIF recovered clock is not low enough in jitter
2. ASRCs or other external PLL / VCO do not exist to further improve the situation in 1

I would guess that the MCLK out of a good reciever like the WM880x or TI DIX4192 is actually good enough.

Of course, we have asynchronous USB to solve the issue for any PC source. No need for I2S to go more than a couple inches.

mansr

Major Contributor
Cirrus Logic CS8416 does, according to the datasheet. I would guess (some) other Cirrus chips do as well.

That's unclear. It seems to me, it should be possible to avoid data dependence in other ways as well. Each bit always starts with a transition, which is followed by a second transition for 1 bits. Looking at only the first of these will yield a constant edge rate equal to the bit rate (except during the preamble).

Texas Instruments don't say how they do it, but their DIX9211 claims 50 ps RMS period jitter in the recovered clock, much better than the CS8416 (200 ps). Same for Wolfson WM8804.

mansr

Major Contributor
I2S would be fine if sent over, say, twisted pair via LVDS. There is no point, though, unless you're adding a wire to send the MCLK back to the source so that you can clock the converter locally from it and avoid the use of a PLL completely.
The MCLK isn't part of the I2S spec. Most DAC chips do require an MCLK signal, typically 64-256x fs, to drive oversampling logic. Generally, this clock needs to be synchronous with the I2S signals (though no particular phase relationship is required), so they must be derived from the same oscillator. The mistake in the interfaces from PS Audio and others is placing this oscillator at the source and transmitting the MCLK down the wire. A better solution would be to run the source in I2S slave mode with the master clock at the receiver. In this mode, the receiver sends the bit and LR clocks to the source which returns the data as dictated.

The one potential issue here concerns signal delays. A random TI datasheet specifies an I2S data setup time of 10 ns. At 192 kHz, 32 bits, the bit clock period is a little over 80 ns. If, as is typical, the receiver drives the data line on the falling BCLK edge, and the receiver samples on the rising edge, this gives a maximum round-trip delay of 30 ns. A randomly chosen LVDS driver/receiver pair from TI have a maximum specified propagation delay of 1.7 ns and 2.7 ns, respectively. One of each in each direction yields a total delay of 9 ns. This leaves roughly 20 ns for cable propagation time and latency in the source. The absolute maximum cable length is thus 2 m with a zero-latency source. More realistically, the cable should probably not exceed 1.5 m in length. I don't know how people normally deploy these devices, but 1.5 m is certainly enough for a typical hifi rack.

Last edited:

GPx86

What firmware did you use on the SU-1? The USA distributor, Kitsune Hifi, has an image on their website that says the Gustard I2S requires V202 on the SU-1. Did you confirm you have the correct firmware? It also shows that dip switch 3 and 6 need to be ON. This is information that is, and has been readily available for quite some time. I'm concerned that you did not ensure you had proper settings on your equipment before taking these measurements. Instead, you made presumptions against the notion that I2S could be beneficial in any way, and you instituted confirmation bias by allowing your setup to dictate and support your own presumptions.

GUSTARDi2s.jpg

This data is erroneous and should be throne out. The way you kept the bad data in the post and only made a single line Edit is also very misleading. It seems to me this forum and your thorough contributions to it have become an important part of some audio enthusiasts decision making process, so it's going to exacerbate an already heated debate among the crowd if this data is not vetted.

I thank you for taking what must be your personal free time to make these measurements and run the forum. However, this may also lead to inaccurate measurements when we stretch ourselves too thin!

gvl

Major Contributor
Huh? Didn't Amir admit the error and said he was going to re-measure? I kind of doubt the overall conclusion will change, but yes, the channels may end up being in sync.

GPx86

The information I posted above is not new... this has been available since the Singxer SU-1 came to market. It doesn't inspire confidence that the system was not properly setup before measurements were taken and conclusions were presented. This is how the populace ends up thinking vaccines cause autism.

We will investigate this further but for now, notice that there is no performance improvement with I²S.

Despite the admission of further investigation being required, a conclusion has already been made and published! Now everyone here thinks that DDC outputting I2S are the root cause of the audio version of autism.

gvl

Major Contributor
The conclusion is that a DDC doesn't improve anything when used with a properly implemented DAC. If that is a surprise you are on a wrong forum.

GPx86

The only thing proven is that the experiment was flawed and needs to be rerun.

D

Deleted member 65

I sort of agree that the groundwork of this review was somewhat lacking, however not close to what's implied by Gpx.

mansr

Major Contributor
The LR inversion has no effect whatsoever on jitter, so those measurements are still valid. This error does, however, highlight another aspect of these devices. Due to lack of standardisation, slight incompatibilities can easily creep up with no obvious malfunction yet objectively degrade the performance.

Top Bottom