• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio Rock Recordings and Soundstage

Wombat

Master Contributor
You should watch this: https://www.amazon.com/Sympathy-Devil-Sean-Lynch/dp/B0000DC13U

Can you find a definable soundstage?
"
Exile On Mainstreet. Andy Johns: "Under the stairs and in separate rooms".

http://www.goldminemag.com/articles...ng-of-the-rolling-stones-exile-on-main-street

Don't get too serious about soundstage unless you can reference it back to performance in a particular space and your space is compatible - another audiophile noodle exercise. Such perceptions, including validity of home reproduction of classical music performances from a wide variety of venues, have not been proved. Just subjective audio forum filler.

o_O

Last edited:

bobhol

Exile on Main Street. I have an early CD of that album. After hunting down and buying a pair of used speakers I decided to use that album as the first test of my new equipment. Of course I was listening very carefully and OMG it all sounded like crap. Very disappointed. I did not know the backstory to that album but I soon did some research and realized this was one of the worst albums I had to do any careful listening.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't get too serious about soundstage unless you can reference it back to performance in a particular space
With some mulittracked recordings I can sometimes hear more than one acoustic going on at once, it's rare though. More often I can only hear the acoustic the lead vocal was recorded in. I don't delude myself any of them are accurate to the space they were really recorded in, but it can be a pleasant trick.

TBone

Major Contributor
Machine Head, depending on which song, much the same. How some tracks on this album were recorded is very interesting.

It should be noted that MH was recorded using the (borrowed) Rolling Stones mobile truck.

Top Bottom