• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio monitors vs bookshelf speakers

celroid

Are studio monitors just more accurate bookshelf speakers? What is a typical distance that studio monitors should be listened at when compared to bookshelf speakers?

Why isn't it recommend to just use studio monitors instead of bookshelf speakers since they objectively measure better?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are studio monitors just more accurate bookshelf speakers? What is a typical distance that studio monitors should be listened at when compared to bookshelf speakers?

Why isn't it recommend to just use studio monitors instead of bookshelf speakers since they objectively measure better?
Over the years it seems many brands offered, "Studio monitors." I'm of the impression that in many cases they are loosely throwing the term around. That makes it difficult for the actual studio monitors.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Mainly, they tend towards ugly...

How far depends on the room. I have smaller 'monitor speakers' on my desk with 5" woofers that would not work well in my living room at 14'... So I use a version with 8" woofers.

There are some excellent non-monitor speakers out there. It isn't a clear distinction in terms of performance, it's mostly about a lack of living room appeal. Not everyone wants handles.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is also the matter of creature comforts, monitors require individual power connections and have independent power switches, and its recommended to use an interface to control them (Or use a splitter) while HiFi speakers do not require any of this.

Simply put, if your mixing get monitors, if your listening get either or, but Id recommend HiFi speakers for general music listening. Checkout Edifier or Swan (Which are active) just like monitors, I am using Swan M200MKIII+.

Last edited:

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I honestly recommend just using active studio monitors over passive bookshelf speakers when performance and price are held constant.

I can think of a few legitimate reasons that favor passive bookshelf speakers, such as,
1. When one prefers wooden or piano black finishes. Studio monitors barely offer those options.
2. When one has to place the speakers on the desk and listen in an ultra nearfield. Many studio monitors have audible tweeter hiss at this distance.
3. When one needs a pair of TV speakers. Studio monitors usually have a bright power indicator light on the front, which could be distracting when watching movies in dim light.

On the other hand, going for studio monitors usually means one would end up spending less on the entire system, specifically on these areas,
1. No external power amplifier needed.
2. Pro audio interfaces are by default balanced, meaning they have a higher output level than unbalanced HiFi DACs while costing less than balanced HiFi DACs.
3. Multichannel audio interfaces are also cheaper than multichannel AVRs and HiFi DACs.

Notice the above reasons all have nothing to do with performance or price but practicability. Studio monitors are actually more convenient and economical.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve been using Focal Solo 6 for listening for years. I really enjoy them and having bought so much audio gear in my life I don’t think I have heard anything sound that good at that price.

Now there are some valid points regarding convenience for listening use. You need a dac with volume out or some form of volume control. You could rely on digital volume control but that is dangerous imho. Getting a dac with variable output and remote control is not easy. At least back then.

Top Bottom