• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

zerberk

Dear ASR Members,
This is my first time posting in the forums so a bit nervous. I have a small room (12x11x10) and want to get a decent pair or 2.1 system studio monitors for it. I have been using the Rokit 6 G3s for 7 years now and feel like it’s time for an upgrade. I have treated the room with basics such as 1st reflection absorption, diffusion behind me, bass traps and absorption behind the speakers as well. I will be using the room for producing and mixing music. My budget range is fixed till 1500USD and not a single penny more than that. Please give me some suggestions that will be a great upgrade for me after 7 years of using my KRKs. Your advice/opinions are appreciated!

Regards,
Zerberk

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Welcome to ASR.

Active Speakers Under US$1500/pair:
RecommendationPSLFXAmplifiers
#1Neumann KH 120A6.7*42*80 & 50
#2Genelec 8030C (Amir)6.34650 & 50
#3Neumann KH 80 (Amir)6.248150 & 55
WorthyKali IN-5 (Erin)
Kali IN-8v2 (Erin)
80 & 40 & 40 (Erin)
60 & 40 & 40 (Erin)
WorthyAdam T5V (Amir)4.34850 & 20

LEGEND:
ValueDescription
#1Best rated-speaker in terms of preference score. Update: I set the threshold at 3.0, ignoring speakers below it.
#22nd best-rated speaker in terms of preference score.
#33rd best-rated speaker in terms of preference score.
WorthyWorthy picks that either Erin or Amir measured and recommended. Plus a few models that weren't measured but still for consideration, since we can predict will be good, based on similar model's measurements.
PSPreference Score (with no subwoofer added). Value can be negative (for really badly designed speakers) and goes up to a 10 (theoretical limit). Higher is better.
LFXLow Frequency Extension (in hz). This is the bass output at -6db point. This was computed, not estimated. Lower is better.
AmplifiersAmount of amplifier (amp) power (in watts). If 1 value, it's a single amp. If 2 values, first is woofer amp, and then tweeter amp. If 3 values, first is woofer amp, then midrange amp, then tweeter amp. Amp is per speaker. Didn't make a distinction between peak or RMS power, so not 100% consistent between vendors. Higher is better.
Amplifiers (Link)"Response Linearity" Test that Erin performs. Also called "Dynamic Range (Instantaneous Compression Test)". Link to his website.
*We have quasi-anechoic spinorama or similar. However, this speaker wasn't measured using Klippel NFS (that Amir and Erin have), so it's resolution is less accurate. Warning: This will artificially boost the preference score higher than if the same speaker was measured using NFS.
From my post.

OP
Z

zerberk

Welcome to ASR.

Active Speakers Under US$1500/pair:
RecommendationPSLFXAmplifiers
#1Neumann KH 120A6.7*42*80 & 50
#2Genelec 8030C (Amir)6.34650 & 50
#3Neumann KH 80 (Amir)6.248150 & 55
WorthyKali IN-5 (Erin)
Kali IN-8v2 (Erin)
80 & 40 & 40 (Erin)
60 & 40 & 40 (Erin)
WorthyAdam T5V (Amir)4.34850 & 20

LEGEND:
ValueDescription
#1Best rated-speaker in terms of preference score. Update: I set the threshold at 3.0, ignoring speakers below it.
#22nd best-rated speaker in terms of preference score.
#33rd best-rated speaker in terms of preference score.
WorthyWorthy picks that either Erin or Amir measured and recommended. Plus a few models that weren't measured but still for consideration, since we can predict will be good, based on similar model's measurements.
PSPreference Score (with no subwoofer added). Value can be negative (for really badly designed speakers) and goes up to a 10 (theoretical limit). Higher is better.
LFXLow Frequency Extension (in hz). This is the bass output at -6db point. This was computed, not estimated. Lower is better.
AmplifiersAmount of amplifier (amp) power (in watts). If 1 value, it's a single amp. If 2 values, first is woofer amp, and then tweeter amp. If 3 values, first is woofer amp, then midrange amp, then tweeter amp. Amp is per speaker. Didn't make a distinction between peak or RMS power, so not 100% consistent between vendors. Higher is better.
Amplifiers (Link)"Response Linearity" Test that Erin performs. Also called "Dynamic Range (Instantaneous Compression Test)". Link to his website.
*We have quasi-anechoic spinorama or similar. However, this speaker wasn't measured using Klippel NFS (that Amir and Erin have), so it's resolution is less accurate. Warning: This will artificially boost the preference score higher than if the same speaker was measured using NFS.
From my post.
thank you for such a fast response. The local pro audio stores have also been recommending the 8030c regardless of the other brands they have like focal etc. They said I should get the 8030c and not worry about speakers anymore. I am going to ask a very dumb question and I am requesting you to educate me on this please. The genelecs have the lowest amount of wattage. Is that bad or “less loud” or something like that? Should I be concerned about watts? I’m only asking as the info is there on the table and I’ve always kinda ignored the whole “watts” or “amp” situation.

Regards,
Zerberk

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Like everything else, it’s a guideline. You can use it how you see fit.
Until we come up with a metric to classify power capabilities of speakers…and we haven’t come up with a metric yet. The closest being Erin’s Response Linearity test.
Other metrics include dimensions, weight, etc, which I’m not including here.

OP
Z

zerberk

Oh I see, well thank you so much for the suggestions! :D

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
2x 8030c will leave enough in your budget to pick up a UMIK1 calibration mic as well. This would really pull your setup to the next level, since you can use the free REW software to measure your room. Would come in handy, since it'll allow you to check if your acoustic treatments are up to snuff. :)

OP
Z

zerberk

2x 8030c will leave enough in your budget to pick up a UMIK1 calibration mic as well. This would really pull your setup to the next level, since you can use the free REW software to measure your room. Would come in handy, since it'll allow you to check if your acoustic treatments are up to snuff. :)
Oh yess, measuring rt60 and all that stuff? Heck yeah! Thanks for the suggestion. Everybody is pointing towards 8030c, I guess that’s what I’ll go for then. Can’t wait to demo them!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR. I suppose you cannot go wrong with any option listed on the table above. If you can demo them, even better. And also REW + UMIK-1 definitely. That is all there is to it, to get it right from the beginning. Good luck!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Oh yess, measuring rt60 and all that stuff? Heck yeah! Thanks for the suggestion. Everybody is pointing towards 8030c, I guess that’s what I’ll go for then. Can’t wait to demo them!

Welcome!

I haven't heard many complaints from Genelec owners, so you are on what looks like a good track.

OP
Z

zerberk

Hey everyone! I had one more question, should I get a sub with the 8030cs? (im getting the 8030cs) if so, what sub would be good? Yes my room is small but I feel like understanding the bass better is very important for what I'm planning to do. Please share your opinions with me :D

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Hey everyone! I had one more question, should I get a sub with the 8030cs? (im getting the 8030cs) if so, what sub would be good? Yes my room is small but I feel like understanding the bass better is very important for what I'm planning to do. Please share your opinions with me :D
No, don’t get a sub. Get two or more.

Top Bottom