• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio Monitors in HI-Fi Systems @ 7ft

digicidal

Major Contributor
OMG those Taipuu 3-ways seem absolutely incredible... they have some impressive looking graphs as well. Although they're way too big for my current space... I'd have to guess the dynamics are incredible and you definitely shouldn't need a sub. With an 18" woofer powered by a 1kW amp I should think that 20Hz-20kHz FR is probably accurate. I had to laugh at the description of a 15" driver as a "mid" but I guess comparatively it makes sense. o_O

I have to assume that the shipping from Finland would likely eclipse my budget - even if the speakers were free (and I'm sure they're ~15K at least).

Attachments

• taipuu27_1100px.jpg
    taipuu27_1100px.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OMG those Taipuu 3-ways seem absolutely incredible... they have some impressive looking graphs as well. Although they're way too big for my current space... I'd have to guess the dynamics are incredible and you definitely shouldn't need a sub. With an 18" woofer powered by a 1kW amp I should think that 20Hz-20kHz FR is probably accurate. I had to laugh at the description of a 15" driver as a "mid" but I guess comparatively it makes sense. o_O

I have to assume that the shipping from Finland would likely eclipse my budget - even if the speakers were free (I'm sure they're ~15K at least).

Yeah, Taipuu is probably in the DD/Kii range or higher. Abacus is well within your budget but I haven't seen any graphs. Canton and Nubert have some graphs - Nubert isn't as pretty but their stuff tend to measure better. FWIW I found the passive Canton Vento line really enjoyable when I heard them at demo, but not sure how much better or worse the active is. Problem is with finding all these brands in the US.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Genelec speakers are of an unusual construction. The enclosure is made from cast metal.

The Taipuu speakers are on the large size for most rooms and in the price territory of Kii 3's and D&D 8c's.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also like the fact that it's using the minidsp plate amp - although I'd love a step above that in noise specs... I like the idea that I could grab a couple of spares and be prepared if anything happened with the electronics years down the road.

I agree. Serviceability is the downside of actives. I think Rick uses the new Hypex Fusion amps too. It looks like AJ (soundfieldaudio.net) is ramping up a whole new line as well. I have had his original Monitor 1’s - passive KEF coax, powered 8” woofer - for about 7 years and they’re excellent.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been using a pair of good old Genelec 1032A in my previous appartment for some time.
Distance was in that range, probably higher (3 meters or so)

Last edited:

LDKTA

I'm using JBL 708Ps from a bit over 8ft and they've far exceeded my expectations. Each and every time I listen to my setup I am stunned.. I can't get used to it.. Excellent is an understatement. I've converted from "Hi-Fi" (Consumer Audio) to Pro Audio and I will never look back. I just need to get my DAC3 HGC back.. Or maybe a RME-ADI 2? For half the price, I don't see how I could go wrong. Or a Trinnov ST2 Pro? I don't know but at the moment this is by far the best my room has ever sounded and it is of the best systems I've ever heard in my life regardless of price.

Last edited:

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What I would love to see more of in the active speaker arena is something around $3000/ea for an attractive tower, furniture-grade finish, with a nearly silent amp (not Benchmark silent... but maybe nCore) and built in DSP management features similar to the D&D 8C or Kii Three. Essentially a more 'middle class' version of those two.

With the relative affordability of my main passives (Aperion GVT) this seems like it shouldn't be a big deal at all. However, it seems like all the options are either on the JBL 305 side of things (cheap boxes with plastic baffles) or on the high-end side like the two 'darlings' mentioned above.

I keep hoping Jim Salk will make my dreams come true (he's getting there) - but there are some admittedly very subjective requirements that are lacking: namhttps://www.me-geithain.de/en/aktiv-lautsprecher-1.htmlely no LED's or inputs visible on the front and I love curved cabinets over boxes. I'd be fine with a subtly backlit logo in brushed aluminum at the bottom. I had great hopes for the ELAC ARF-51's but I'm not a fan of concentric driver solutions... at least not those I've heard or could afford (the TAD's don't count). Admittedly I haven't gotten a chance to hear them in person, so it might not matter that much - but the KEF's (LS50) didn't impress me when I heard them. Not sure if it's more related to dispersion or driver interactions caused by the music itself - jazz was fine, metal was definitely not (even at low volume they seemed to struggle to me).

Does anyone know of any other attractive but great-measuring floorstanding actives in the $4-6K/pair range?

PSI has (A215) I don’t remember the price but more on the right side of your bracket.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I wonder if speakers with a passive crossover ahead of the amplifiers will play at full volume when fed by a typical 2V DAC output, or do they need a preamp.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm using JBL 708Ps from a bit over 8ft and they've far exceeded my expectations.
(...)
I just need to get my DAC3 HGC back.. Or maybe a RME-ADI 2? For half the price, I don't see how I could go wrong.

You don't feed your 708 at the AES inputs?

digicidal

Major Contributor
PSI has (A215) I don’t remember the price but more on the right side of your bracket.
Yeah they're definitely on the right side of it (and then some)... B&H has them listed for ~$4K/ea... Part of the reason my budget is set where it is - is because I find far too many compelling passives once the price eclipses $6K/pr. At $8K+ I'd probably just look for a deal on some Revel F228Be's and stay with passives for my main setup. I'm sure the PSI's sound fantastic however - they certainly measure so.

Might have to try these Blue Sky SAT 6D's - not the look nor the form factor I'd prefer... but they tick a lot of the 'wish list' boxes at least:
Full MDF construction, comes with plates for conversion to sealed cabinets if preferred. No LED's on the front, somewhat garish logo but at least it's not too large. Hypex UcD amplification with analog and digital inputs with built-in DSP. US manufacture and support (which isn't critical but why not). And best of all they're just a tad above $1500/ea.

Too bad they're in NY... and as a special order they're non-returnable at B&H (so little to no chance to audition). :confused:

https://vanatoo.com/
I spent some time at Vanatoo's room at Axpona and was impressed with what I heard. Active with class D amps and built in DSP. Founded by a couple of smart engineers.

Seems like those would make one heck of a nice desktop system.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
https://vanatoo.com/
I spent some time at Vanatoo's room at Axpona and was impressed with what I heard. Active with class D amps and built in DSP. Founded by a couple of smart engineers.

I reviewed the T0s very favorably last year in AudioXpress. I have the new versions of the T1s going right now- since they'll be reviewed, I can't say much in advance, other than to agree with you that these guys are smart and sell great products at great prices.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah they're definitely on the right side of it (and then some)... B&H has them listed for ~$4K/ea... Part of the reason my budget is set where it is - is because I find far too many compelling passives once the price eclipses $6K/pr. At $8K+ I'd probably just look for a deal on some Revel F228Be's and stay with passives for my main setup. I'm sure the PSI's sound fantastic however - they certainly measure so.

Might have to try these Blue Sky SAT 6D's - not the look nor the form factor I'd prefer... but they tick a lot of the 'wish list' boxes at least:
Full MDF construction, comes with plates for conversion to sealed cabinets if preferred. No LED's on the front, somewhat garish logo but at least it's not too large. Hypex UcD amplification with analog and digital inputs with built-in DSP. US manufacture and support (which isn't critical but why not). And best of all they're just a tad above $1500/ea.

Too bad they're in NY... and as a special order they're non-returnable at B&H (so little to no chance to audition). :confused:

Seems like those would make one heck of a nice desktop system.

I feel like if you want to go for the Blue Skys (which haven't even been tested and I can't find data for), you might as well get the Salk Powerplay (or an active version of their floorstanders) and try to work around the LEDs. For instance, you could spec a grill and stick some LED-dimming tape on the front so that it becomes at most a soft glow from the listening position.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using JBL 708Ps from a bit over 8ft and they've far exceeded my expectations. Each and every time I listen to my setup I am stunned.. I can't get used to it.. Excellent is an understatement.
In this price range I would prefer a 3 way system, it should have less IMD when driven hard. There are several rivals like the Neumann KH310 or similar models by Adam, Dynaudio, Hedd, ...

Maybe I should mention that I listen to K&H O300D (predecessor of the Neumann KH310) supported by a Genelec 7060B subwoofer. I haven't hear any speakers within a reasonable price range which are more neutral and have a better pin point location in the sound stage.
I've converted from "Hi-Fi" (Consumer Audio) to Pro Audio and I will never look back.
So did i.
I just need to get my DAC3 HGC back.. Or maybe a RME-ADI 2? For half the price, I don't see how I could go wrong.
You can't.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I feel like if you want to go for the Blue Skys (which haven't even been tested and I can't find data for), you might as well get the Salk Powerplay (or an active version of their floorstanders) and try to work around the LEDs. For instance, you could spec a grill and stick some LED-dimming tape on the front so that it becomes at most a soft glow from the listening position.

Yeah, Jim's a great guy, I remember when he only had a few models - now he's got a whole catalog! Honestly, considering the prices on some of the higher-end pro monitors, a pair of Veracity HT2's seem downright economical. Even if you added in a minidsp SHD and a pair of nCore mono kits... it would still about the same as the PSI A215's. Decisions, decision....

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
One thing I found about the 305's is they can be driven to comfortable volumes with an unbalanced DAC, (2V), but there isn't much headroom left. It's better to have a balanced DAC, or even an unbalanced DAC capable of 4V output.

Erik

In this price range I would prefer a 3 way system, it should have less IMD when driven hard. There are several rivals like the Neumann KH310 or similar models by Adam, Dynaudio, Hedd, ...
Such 3-way systems have uneven horizontal dispersion and I think Toole's research showed that this factor plays a bigger role in subjective sound quality evaluations than non-linear distortion.

Top Bottom