• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio Monitors in HI-Fi Systems @ 7ft

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thought it worth adding a grid measurement from when the LP was 9 ft from the LSR305. I mapped a 1 meter square. Took measurements at the front and rear of that 1 meter square at center and each edge. This result is the average of those responses from 6 positions. Still 1/12th octave smoothing though you can see the grid measurement did some smoothing of the average response. BTW, for such an inexpensive speaker this is a very nice result.

1566540440682.png

digicidal

Major Contributor
Looks like some of the same things in the 800Hz-1.1kHz region - just different amounts depending on position. Either way I'm totally satisfied with the 305's especially now that they're in a smaller space than I originally planned for them. However, I agree with others that at >7ft the 308's would be preferrable in most rooms.

Hypnotoad

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just bought such a setup. Yamaha HS8 through a Steinberg UR22C. AmA!

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I just bought such a setup. Yamaha HS8 through a Steinberg UR22C. AmA!
Welcome to the club, then. As a fellow HS7 user, I can only laud these. I particularly like the lack of hiss and the quite punchy mids (reflected in the examplary CSD measurements by soundandrecording.de); probably courtesy of a quite high port tuning allowing for more woofer LF relief in exchange of bass extension.
The white cone and glowing Yamaha logo are also very sexy.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to the club, then. As a fellow HS7 user, I can only laud these. I particularly like the lack of hiss and the quite punchy mids (reflected in the examplary CSD measurements by soundandrecording.de); probably courtesy of a quite high port tuning allowing for more woofer LF relief in exchange of bass extension.
The white cone and glowing Yamaha logo are also very sexy.

HS7 speaker user here too. I turn it up to 90+ dB nearfield listening without ever showing any hiss whatsoever even if I put my ears 10cm from the tweeter. It sounds incredibly realistic (zero weird timbre whatsoever unlike other speakers to my subjective ears) for its price as well.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I got JBL LSR305's for use with my retro system. Sega Genesis never sounded so good. I was playing Streets of Rage 2 and the bass notes were really crunchy and nice to listen to. Literally nothing hifi about their use in this system I suppose, though. Some of my custom cables don't have the best shielding on the audio jacks so there's buzzing on the speakers. :)

Just some advice for anyone using them with CRT's... they are not magnetically shielded. Or if they are, they are very minimally shielded... you need them a good 14 inches away from the tube to avoid purity issues.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor
Historically, Cathode Ray Tube.

Top Bottom