• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio Monitors for room size

Rich90

Hi i have a room size 3m x 3m would A pair of Adam audio A5X be big enough with a Sub7 thats what i am thinking l am going to get some acoustic panels and treat the room a little better but for the size it is would them speakers or something similar be a good fit .. and yes that bowl on the desk was rice pudding with jam :)currently l have fostex monitors and a behringer sub its ok i guess but the monitors go into power save mode after 25 minutes drives me nuts.:facepalm: any input would be appreciated thanks.
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Room size is generally less important than seating distance for speakers. If that's your arrangement, almost anything will work in terms of sheer SPL/output.

The A5X+sub will be just fine for that space if it fits the rest of your requirements

Ziltoe

As long you're happy with the fostex monitors [and your present set-up], keep 'em. Get in touch with Fostex providing ya with a smart hint regards the power save mode. Pretty sure they will.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Before considering any new monitor purchases, I would highly recommend that you implement room correction. You will most likely find the improvement to be quite dramatic.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Before considering any new monitor purchases, I would highly recommend that you implement room correction. You will most likely find the improvement to be quite dramatic.

agreed here; also I'd be curious the minimum summation distacne on a 3 way like that. Typically 1m would be minimum, 1.5 is ideal, and unless you have 20/20 eyesight i'm guessing youre leaning into the monitor when you work putting you around 70-80cm. In the photo, on-axis would probably be behind you. toeing in further might help. lots of options before spending (much) more $. unfortunately all of them require time for trial & error, and I can certainly relate to finding it easier to try and buy your way out of a problem.

@Rich90 If you like that layout and still want to pursue a replacement, a coaxial would be a better choice. Kali on the cheap (but still good) side, Genelec on the cost-no-object side.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Adam A5X with sub will work nice, but first I'd invest into measurement gear and room treatment and correction.
It might improve your production results more than new monitors.

Digby

Major Contributor
I imagine you can turn the power saving off somehow (switch on the back or software). I've not seen small 3-way designs like this before, any benefits?

OP
R

Rich90

There isn't a switch to disable the auto power save at the back, even if i have it down low it still goes into power save when it drops down after a certain level, another issue i have is with the sub l have got, ( Behringer BD1200Pro) which i cant wait for when i remove it never ever will i purchase anymore behringer gear ..EVER to big for the room size l think smaller speakers possible with a smaller sub a few panels and job will be done for what it is. l tend to think and from experience cheap equipment will bring anything down, its kinda why premium stuff cost a little more as they have already factored in requirements for home studios etc.
Thanks for all your input guys.

OP
R

Rich90

I imagine you can turn the power saving off somehow (switch on the back or software). I've not seen small 3-way designs like this before, any benefits?
The Vocals come out really nice, look i think they are a good pair for using as desk top speakers and thats about all.

Rescue911

I have exactly this setup.
For listening to music only.
From the point of view of the delitant, I can only advise the planned project for cooling the room.
Adams get very hot!
Wrote so that this fact was not a surprise to you.
There is also a positive aspect.
In winter, you don't need to turn on the heating...

Top Bottom