• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio monitors for multiple uses

TBsq

Hi, I'm looking for a pair of monitors for both near-field listening and home-cinema, I will move them depending on the use. My budget is 800€/monitor and I'm not looking for something too powerful.

Last edited:

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What country? If you're around Europe I can recommend Nubert NuPro X4000 RC. They have pretty much every I/O you can think of and sound great. They have a bass extension as low as 30 Hz @ -3dB, bass calibration, wireless, etc, etc.

Edit: Oh, I just saw that they even have a cash back offer currently going on.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Hi, I'm looking for a pair of monitors for both near-field listening and home-cinema, I will move them depending on the use. My budget is 800€ for a monitor and I'm not looking for something too powerful.
When you say move, do mean detach the cables, move them, replug the cables? And you're looking for active monitors? So at least 1x power + 1x singal for each speaker?

OP
T

TBsq

What country? If you're around Europe I can recommend Nubert NuPro X4000 RC. They have pretty much every I/O you can think of and sound great. They have a bass extension as low as 30 Hz @ -3dB, bass calibration, wireless, etc, etc.

Edit: Oh, I just saw that they even have a cash back offer currently going on.
I don't know, I don't think I need the integrated DAC and it's a little too expensive.
When you say move, do mean detach the cables, move them, replug the cables? And you're looking for active monitors? So at least 1x power + 1x singal for each speaker?
Yes exactly!

OP
T

TBsq

That looks nice. Do you think more expensive monitors would be better?

anphex

Forum Donor
I have the Kali IN-5 and can wholeheartedly recommend the company. Price is unbeatable. The IN-5 already have plenty and clean bass, the IN-8 should be even better.

But I/O wise you have the absolute minimum. Meaning plugging cables around or using a passive audio switcher.

audio2920

IN8 is good (I'm a huge fan) and I don't want to put you off, but just be aware that it's a very well designed speaker, cheaply assembled.

I've owned several and have so far found QC to be somewhat lacking. One of mine had an electronics issue, one had an MF unit with an odd looking surround (didn't look circular, couldn't measure or hear any problem, but I'm sure that's not great) and another one developed a nasty mechanical buzz from somewhere behind the plastic front panel. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but Amir's first sample also had a problem with the LF driver.

So, they are really really good value (like, better than some speakers costing 3x as much) but the compromise here is on general build quiality and QC at the factory. I would say even the cheaper ADAM T-series is better, but nowhere near the Kali in raw performance. My advice is, go for it because the IN8 sounds *that* good for it's price point that I easily forgive it, but ideally buy from a dealer with decent after-sales so you can swap them in the event of an issue. Kali themselves seem like a great company and have always been very responsive on customer support. (Doesn't affect the product, but they also win points with me for how open they are on the Internet about their speakers, design philosophy etc)

OP
T

TBsq

IN8 is good (I'm a huge fan) and I don't want to put you off, but just be aware that it's a very well designed speaker, cheaply assembled.

I've owned several and have so far found QC to be somewhat lacking. One of mine had an electronics issue, one had an MF unit with an odd looking surround (didn't look circular, couldn't measure or hear any problem, but I'm sure that's not great) and another one developed a nasty mechanical buzz from somewhere behind the plastic front panel. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but Amir's first sample also had a problem with the LF driver.

So, they are really really good value (like, better than some speakers costing 3x as much) but the compromise here is on general build quiality and QC at the factory. I would say even the cheaper ADAM T-series is better, but nowhere near the Kali in raw performance. My advice is, go for it because the IN8 sounds *that* good for it's price point that I easily forgive it, but ideally buy from a dealer with decent after-sales so you can swap them in the event of an issue. Kali themselves seem like a great company and have always been very responsive on customer support. (Doesn't affect the product, but they also win points with me for how open they are on the Internet about their speakers, design philosophy etc)
Is the THD at a good value?

OP
T

TBsq

Also what about a solution where I get Neumanns or Genelecs and pair them with 2 cheap subwoofers like Presonus?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Also what about a solution where I get Neumanns or Genelecs and pair them with 2 cheap subwoofers like Presonus?
One reason to get a Neumann or Genelec setup is the integrated correction, but that requires the use of products all from the same manufacturer. If you want to mix them, you could use a MiniDSP device to do crossover and correction or you could do it "in the box" with EqualizerAPO.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have iLoud MTMs paired with a Presonus Sub8 for nearfield, it's a very compact setup and is great for my requirements, however, the iLoud's may not be loud enough for an HT setup (depending on your volume preferences). The MTMs do integrate easily with a sub after iLoud added an 80Hz LF filter in a recent firmware update.

tktran303

Forum Donor
Also recommend Kali IN-8 V2.

Best Speaker under $400 USD IMHO.

Wireless Bluetooth speakers, eat your heart out!

My EQ settings:

Last edited:
Top Bottom