• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio Monitor Calibration

KikoKentaurus

Hello there, I have a question.

I'm going to calibrate my Kali-Audio LP6 in an acoustically treated room. I will use -20 dB rms pink noise. How I imagine this process - I will place SPL-meter on a "sweet-spot", and then calibrate every monitor individually to -83 dB.

My audio-interface is Audient EVO 4, it has digital controls. So when I turn up the volume on my interface, it automatically turns up on my computer.

So, the question is: how loud should I set the volume in my interface before I start calibrating volume on my speakers? 50%? 80%? How much headroom do I need?

Thanks in advance.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

OP
KikoKentaurus

KikoKentaurus

I know him. Thank you. I don't think he's answering exactly my question. My question is about how loud should I set my audio-interface. He's discussing some general techinques which I already know.

p.s. Also, I'm not going to use REW, I like sonarworks muchm more for its simple and easy process.

p.s.s. The problem is that I cannot find any objective degreeing for the volume controls of EVO 4... My knowledge are vast but segmental. This piece of mosaic is hiding somewhere :D

Last edited:

AurekV

I have a pair of Kali LP-8s and I would imagine your main concern would be the self noise of your LP-6s. I would try and set the LP-6s to the lowest gain possible (that gives them the lowest self noise) while still being able to get them loud enough with your audio interface. Then set your reference level with the audio interface volume control.

Practically this should net you the best distortion and S/N possible as your audio interface is almost certainly lower distortion at higher output levels.

AurekV

I have a pair of Kali LP-8s and I would imagine your main concern would be the self noise of your LP-6s. I would try and set the LP-6s to the lowest gain possible (that gives them the lowest self noise) while still being able to get them loud enough with your audio interface. Then set your reference level with the audio interface volume control.

Practically this should net you the best distortion and S/N possible as your audio interface is almost certainly is lower distortion at higher output levels.

OP
KikoKentaurus

KikoKentaurus

Practically this should net you the best distortion and S/N possible as your audio interface is almost certainly is lower distortion at higher output levels.
Sounds good to me, thank you ;)

Top Bottom