• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stuck @Home project #48

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
This is a 3D printed pair of speakers. The design is from Akemake in 2014 (more info here). Akemake is no more here but a company, called deeptime is managing the commercial product.

In our case with use speakers are from Aliexpress. I like very much them, I use often these speakers in my DIY things, like how they sound / price (around 50€/pair). Codename is DQ40TZF. Really better than Tang Bang for the same price, in my opinion.

1588018853776.png

So we printed half one, in 23 hours, and repeated 3 times.

1588018788801.png

Time to glue...

1588018906153.png

Few years ago I installed a Raspberry Pi + X400 amp board in an Ikea Frame. Let's paste the amp and the speaker.

1588018983593.png

1588019089833.png
1588019107616.png

Few bars from Kari Bremnes.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Very nice.
But when I see a horn shape in combination with speakers, shouldn't the speaker be at the smaller end?

gfx_1

Do they need any form of crossover? The response graph on aliexpress looks pretty good.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice.
But when I see a horn shape in combination with speakers, shouldn't the speaker be at the smaller end?
A real transmission line loudspeaker has the 'horn' getting smaller away from the driver, as its purpose is to absorb fully the rear radiation so nothing gets reflected back. In practice, that requires an infinitely long line, but a good approximation can be made by using a cone or cochlea shape with some judiciously adjusted internal absorbance. IMF, Radford and currently PMC used TL loading, but it's fallen somewhat out of favour as it results in a big enclosure, and small TLs aren't really TLs, more a TL/BR hybrid.

That 3D printed enclosure is near perfect for a TL, as were the B&W Nautilus 'speakers above.

S

OP
R

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Ok, ok, I see some people liked the post. I would like you write something. Why do you like it, why did you read it, oh yes, please, explain !

yehuameng

I cant get thespirula speaker STL, can you post it on thingav er e.
Contact me via PM for my email.

Last edited by a moderator:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
These look really cool! Did you fill them with anything? What about vibrations, the material seems to be not very thick, you can almost look through it?

OP
R

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
The only thing i can think of watching this is making a similar one but using the Lil Audio F15

F-15-1.jpg

%E8%AF%B4%E6%98%8E%E4%B9%A6%E7%AE%B1%E4%BD%9311.jpg

Well now I am back in China.

I've lost the last nights reading a lot about the F15 builds. I am very very intersted.

The plan is to spend the next 3 years here. I bought with me a pair of Focal Evo Alpha 65 (I am french). But now I am here and I would like to build something funny and typically Chinese. i mean, with a Chinese Orange Pi 5 as a server and player (Docker Logitech Media Server and Docker Squeezelite), a Chinese DAC, a Chinese preamp and a Chinese Amp. I am currently hesitating between a Topping LA90 and a local 300B tube amplifier (more fun, more distortion).

Top Bottom