• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streaming speeds

TitaniumTroy

I was wondering what is the current thinking on music streaming from online services, regarding speed/bandwith and audio quality of sound?

I have not tried Tidal, right now I'm using SiriusXM, Slacker, Pandora, Streaming SoundTracks SST, itunes. Use it with my HiFiMan headphones and wifi it to my home theatre.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I tried Tidal, and it was fine, then I read some Jay-Z lyrics, and cancelled it at the end of the first month.

That's my thinking.

Try some here!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Tidal reliability is about 99%. I have had it pause to rebuffer once or twice in the last few months.

Sound quality for the HiFi service is CD and most excellent. Streaming is through transmission of lossless flac.

I have stopped 100% buying CDs. No ripping. No hassle. I will write a review on it soon. But for now, TIDAL is must-have.

Audio quality on XM/Sirius is atrocious in comparison. Their channel bandwidth is just 48 kbits/sec, so far cry from even 128 kbps MP3! Tidal lossless streaming is probably at 500 to 700 kbps.

There simply is no alternative to Tidal when it comes to fidelity. I wish one of the big boys launches CD-quality but until then we are stuck at lossy audio with them.

PaulyT

Huh, gonna have to check out roon (and tidal). I'm still doing things pretty old-school style: cd rips (flac) -> squeezebox.

Top Bottom