• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streaming Non Remastered CDs

Soundstage

Hello,
Where can I stream original CDs before remastering?
Currently on Tidal and Spotify, I found them sometimes in the old compilations which are not remastered. Have you got any tip? Or should I buy the CDs...
Thanks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
Where can I stream original CDs before remastering?
Currently on Tidal and Spotify, I found them sometimes in the old compilations which are not remastered. Have you got any tip? Or should I buy the CDs...
Thanks

I think if you have to know the version you have access to and want specific ones, you need to buy the CD. Im far from convinced any streaming service is clear which version they have - some just say (remastered) whereas others specify which remaster . I would bet my bank account there are remastered albums on all streaming services that are not labelled as such too.

Reactions: Tks
OP
S

Soundstage

I think if you have to know the version you have access to and want specific ones, you need to buy the CD. Im far from convinced any streaming service is clear which version they have - some just say (remastered) whereas others specify which remaster . I would bet my bank account there are remastered albums on all streaming services that are not labelled as such too.
But would not it make sense for a streaming service to offer all versions?
There must be some pressure from CD labels against it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Storage costs
User confusion
Not many users want to be presented with multiple options. Some of the classic 60s and 70s records might have had 5 versions even in the CD age

OP
S

Soundstage

Storage costs
User confusion
Not many users want to be presented with multiple options. Some of the classic 60s and 70s records might have had 5 versions even in the CD age
I don’t feel like these are good reasons. If you want to offer a good catalog, specially when you are Qobuz for audiophiles, then make sure you offer versions with sone dynamic range.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t feel like these are good reasons. If you want to offer a good catalog, specially when you are Qobuz for audiophiles, then make sure you offer versions with sone dynamic range.

Then I think you know where you need to direct your complaint then. But I cant see anyone changing to a multi version model.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Ok.

Let's see!

Discogs.com

The Wall - Pink Floyd

(Random guess. My Criteria: a very popular recording)

1592857118447.png

1592857264174.png

1592857316171.png

(that's not all of them, maybe another 100)

1592857414256.png

OP
S

Soundstage

Strawman. I am not asking for ALL versions. Of course they don’t have access to all thsee versions. All we need is a recent one and an historical one from before the loudness war.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
They won't really know what they have , the labels are often clueless too.

A general lack of competence prevents what you are wanting.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you see that changing in the near future or are we doomed?
Spotify can't even be bothered to go lossless. I think that speaks volumes about how they perceive the bulk of consumers.

Even qobuz aren't going to bite the bullet on additional storage costs for a very small portion of the customer base.

OP
S

Soundstage

Spotify can't even be bothered to go lossless. I think that speaks volumes about how they perceive the bulk of consumers.

Even qobuz aren't going to bite the bullet on additional storage costs for a very small portion of the customer base.
What about vendors like HD Audio?
Instead of selling the oversample HD BS can’t they provide a decent version of the recording?
I am happy to pay for a good version, the problem is that I struggle to find it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about vendors like HD Audio?
Instead of selling the oversample HD BS can’t they provide a decent version of the recording?
I am happy to pay for a good version, the problem is that I struggle to find it.
I fear that you are, therefore, buggered.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Don’t you think most of these versions are the same?

I would generally expect them to be casually indistinguishable.

"What's playing?"

"The Wall"

"Which version?"

"Pink Floyd's"

Reactions: ENG
Top Bottom