• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streaming ignorant in need of help

Odradek

Hello!

I have been lurking on these forums for more than a year now and made only a couple of posts. Knowledgeable members have provided many interesting reads!

Anyway, I am pondering on whether to get a nad m33 to serve as a new protagonist of my music and occasional movie experience, substituting an 356BEE I have since 2013, but I have zero experience with networks and streaming.

I currently use my pc as the source, connected to an usb dac which feeds the integrated amp, and was planning to get the HDMI MDC module for the M33 as it has 3 inputs which would allow me to connect 2 different pc's (the USB MDC module has only 1 input and costs 500 vs 350 usd, and that way I can use a TV as a second screen exactly as I do now). As another member kindly confirmed in the M33 thread, this setup would allow me to operate essentially the same as I currently do, but I would also like to explore the world of streaming, so this is what I am not sure of:

I have wifi at home using a router fed by an optical signal, this router has many free ethernet ports. If I understand correctly, I could either run an ethernet cable between the m33 and the router, or connect via wifi without cables. Are there any differences between the two I should be aware of?
As I understand, I already have a network, and connecting the M33 either way would make it a part of this network. If that is correct, could the M33 play files stored in my pc via the network?

I hope someone can educate me a bit on this, I am opening a new thread as I already have many other questions regarding the M33 more specifically and I don't want to clog that thread.

Thanks!!

Madeintooting

There may be a slight advantage in using a wired connection as you would only be using wifi from pc to router rather than pc to router then router to streamer.

Yes with the right playback software you will be able to play files on your pc over the network to the NAD, on windows Foobar with the Upnp plugin for example.

OP
O

Odradek

Thank you for your reply! So specific software is required on the computer, any ideas of what could that be in linux?

FooYatChong

The M33 comes with BluOS so it can find and play music shared on a computer or NAS and everything is controlled on the M33 via the BluOS-app. More info on https://bluos.net/

It's essentially a Bluesound Node integrated in the amplifier.

Last edited:
OP
O

Odradek

That is great, thank you both! Seems like I have some reading to do on the Bluos page

Top Bottom