• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streaming device with lip sync adjustment

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I'm trying to find a streaming device (supports Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, et al) that has a lip sync adjustment setting. No matter what I try--Game mode, default settings, you name it--the audio is always slightly behind the video on my TV. It's close enough that others may not notice, but it pulls me right out of the moment because it looks like bad ADR. When I plug in my laptop and play files, I use Media Player Classic to adjust the "audio time shift" to be in sync (-20ms). Is there a streaming device that allows this adjustment? I would like to avoid having to purchase and set up a HDMI home theater receiver and speakers for this location, which I realize is going to be the solution for most people who have this issue.

Devices I have tried include my laptop, a PS3, and a Roku Streaming Stick. The TV has a built-in Netflix app that is not capable of streaming at the full 1080p bitrate because the TV is somewhat old (2011), however audio appeared to be in sync from what I recall. The Roku Streaming Stick seems to have the most consistent output and is the most watchable for me. Any ideas would be appreciated.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Maybe your ears are slow?

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you want full 1080P, look into Nvidia Shield. I bought it as it was the only android device I could find that supported 1080 Amazon and Netflix, along with clean integrated VPN support. It also has lipsynch. Its sweet. There aren't many android devices supporting Netflix in 1080. My research:
Chromecasts: no Prime support, have to cast from a PC
Roku: can't install VPN directly, has to be on router (will slow down rest of house)
Amazon Fire TV with ethernet adapter (but these aren't available in Amazon Canada, they only work in US)
Amazon Fire Tv stick with ethernet adapter. No youtube and it won't connect up a hard drive
Chinese boxes: none support both Amazon Prime and Netflix in HD. A couple support netflix in HD but don't have ethernet hard connection (wifi only)

I have an iphone but my home is google or Android based so I didn't investigate i-stuff

OP
infinitesymphony

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
If you want full 1080P, look into Nvidia Shield.
Interesting. The lip sync setting is at the device level and successfully applies to content delivered over the mini-HDMI output?

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes and yes over the hdmi

OP
infinitesymphony

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Bumping for posterity because I solved my problem with software:

Kodi for Windows allows audio offsets in both directions +/-. Netflix and other streaming service plug-ins are available for Kodi. Combine the two and you can speed up or delay the audio by any amount you want.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Interesting. The lip sync setting is at the device level and successfully applies to content delivered over the mini-HDMI output?
0321201446_HDR.jpg

1584816192001198103687217380641.jpg

Shield adjustment screen.

OP
infinitesymphony

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Just to confirm what @DDF said earlier, does it allow adjustments in both directions? Most solutions allow audio delay, but what I needed was video delay (i.e. audio is already too late, need to delay video to match).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Just to confirm what @DDF said earlier, does it allow adjustments in both directions? Most solutions allow audio delay, but what I needed was video delay (i.e. audio is already too late, need to delay video to match).

Ahhh... It doesn't look like it. If so, I don't see it.

OP
infinitesymphony

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Thanks for checking. That was the kicker. It's a 9-year-old TV but it was large and fancy at the time and I still think it looks great, so it was nice to solve the problem using a few different approaches: MPC-HC or VLC for playing back standalone files because both allow negative audio delay settings (ex. -20 ms), Kodi for streaming content.

I tried every video mode, every setting, factory reset, you name it, and I could never get the audio to sync or get ahead of the video. Seems like its own internal audio processing adds too much delay.

OP
infinitesymphony

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
NVIDIA's site says the following about the Shield's AV Sync:

"Use of an AV Receiver with HDMI for video may result in audio lagging behind video. First try using the receiver AV sync settings to calibrate. If this does not work, use the AV sync slider utility in Settings > Device Preferences > Display & sound > Advanced settings > Audio video sync to calibrate for audio delay. The AV sync slider allows you to advance audio by 1 second (in small increments of 10ms) to synchronize the audio and video."

This seems like exactly what I want -- video delay / audio advance. I may give it a try, though I wish there was a solution for less than $200.

Kodi was not a long-term solution. Streaming content providers do everything they can to prevent 1080p or higher streams from reaching unqualified players.

OP
infinitesymphony

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I found the perfect solution for my lip sync problem:

Apple TV's Wireless Audio Sync

It successfully matched lip sync in one try, presumably by adding video delay to correct the fact that my TV has late audio even without any delay or processing applied. An iPhone is required to use this feature, and I suppose one could buy an old iPhone without a cell plan to accomplish this inexpensively.

Mostly I am excited to use this TV more frequently after almost 5 years of experimenting with streaming devices. :)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want full 1080P, look into Nvidia Shield. I bought it as it was the only android device I could find that supported 1080 Amazon and Netflix, along with clean integrated VPN support. It also has lipsynch. Its sweet. There aren't many android devices supporting Netflix in 1080. My research:
Chromecasts: no Prime support, have to cast from a PC
Roku: can't install VPN directly, has to be on router (will slow down rest of house)
Amazon Fire TV with ethernet adapter (but these aren't available in Amazon Canada, they only work in US)
Amazon Fire Tv stick with ethernet adapter. No youtube and it won't connect up a hard drive
Chinese boxes: none support both Amazon Prime and Netflix in HD. A couple support netflix in HD but don't have ethernet hard connection (wifi only)

I have an iphone but my home is google or Android based so I didn't investigate i-stuff
Acttually the NVidia Shield will do 4k with either HDR or Dolbyvision with full support for Atmos bitstreams. I use it exclusively as my source for my Smyth A16 Realizer. The only other possible contender is the ATV, but I have heard it has had issues with Atmos support in the past. My only nit to pick is there is no native app for Qobuz on the NVidia which sent me back to Tidal.

Top Bottom