• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streaming device with digital output?

locoliberty

Ive been on the hunt to replace my Nvidia shield TV ever since the botched 8.0 upgrade. Thoughts on a "streaming" video/audio device that still has digital audio output(usb, coax, optical) and is good while supporting the major apps out there(plex, emby, youtube, tidal ect)

It seems all the normal suspects(roku, apple tv, fire *) have dropped digital outputs. Thoughts? Audio system is strictly 2.2 stereo(streaming device > DAC > preamp > amps)

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Ive been on the hunt to replace my Nvidia shield TV ever since the botched 8.0 upgrade. Thoughts on a "streaming" video/audio device that still has digital audio output(usb, coax, optical) and is good while supporting the major apps out there(plex, emby, youtube, tidal ect)

It seems all the normal suspects(roku, apple tv, fire *) have dropped digital outputs. Thoughts? Audio system is strictly 2.2 stereo(streaming device > DAC > preamp > amps)
A Raspberry Pi can give you USB audio out, plus HDMI. You could add S/PDIF with an inexpensive add-on board if you really need it. There's a wide choice of OSes and streaming SW.

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
I am running Plex Server/Homerun Extend on one of these:

U2C Android 7.1 TV Box, 2GB RAM 16GB ROM Amlogic S912 Octa Core 64 Bits 3D/4K/H.265 Smart TV Box Dual Band WiFi 2.4GHz/5GHz/BT 4.1 X Plus with Mini Wireless Keyboard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779NZ73H/

This particular one is oos, but 'any' 8 core S912 will likely work. The 4 core do not.

I do not watch anything however on this box . So no experience with toslink etc.

Best to consider you might want to return it, so I would buy thru Amazon.

Figure support 1 client..

Top Bottom