• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streaming a turntable through roon

mash

Not sure the best place for this post but thought I'd pass this on......

I have been using roon several years now for whole house streaming. When I started getting back into vinyl last year it didn't take long before I ran accross situations where I wanted to stream my phono output to other rooms and roon seemed to have no real way to stream my turntable to the rest of my house. I could have fed my turntable output to my PC, created audio files and then loaded the files into roon for playback but this would have missed the whole point of providing a real time vinyl hands on experience.

Recently, I ran across the rooExtend/rooPlay extension (https://community.roonlabs.com/t/rooplay-from-lp-cd-and-iphone-to-roon/209110). This roon extension basically allows you to take a digital USB connection and turn it into a internet radio feed for roon. As such, you can use this extension to stream your turntable output but you need to convert your phono output to a USB digital signal that feeds a RPi streamer. The RPi streamer setup for this was easy. The phono USB conversion was more involved but a bit easier for me as I am using the Puffin with the optional digital output. For my Puffin setup, I had to go from COAX output to USB....so that involved 2 boxes with 1 handling COAX to optical and the second box handling optical to USB duties (I'm still looking for a 1 box option that would go straight from COAX to USB). The end result works well. Its fairly easy to control and any audio loss seems to be minimal (given how I am using it).

Net/net the setup might take a bit effort to configure but now I can easily stream my records throughout my house and back patio....definitely worth it IMHO.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
mash

mash

It all depends on why you are into Vinyl. For me, its about the physical album experience (not so much the pure analog audio). If I can provide a way for my friends/kids to pick out albums and then play them at a dinner/party for everyone its a big win.

I would guess that just the fact that I use a digital Puffin minimally makes me an analog deviant. This just moves me all the way to full blown heretic level....in for a penny, in for a pound.....

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Like my vinyl-oriented audiophile bud says:

“Once you’ve digitized vinyl, you’ve given up.”

:):)

I kid though. Glad you’ve found a good solution.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
1661178305043.png

Top Bottom