• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamers recommendation

richie60

I was looking for a streamer with a balanced AES digital output for use with Genelec actives; the least expensive option i found was the Cambridge Azur 851N. $1500 for a transport seems a lot to pay however :(
How about the pi2AES or the new Mercury streamer from the same company?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looks like a viable option at $600 but you'd have to deal with Volumio as an interface. I have not used it but others have said it's sketchy. I prefer the plug and play convenience of the BlueSound (Node) or having Spotify Connect built in. Unfortunately the Node does not have an AES output :(

Wino

Looks like a viable option at $600 but you'd have to deal with Volumio as an interface. I have not used it but others have said it's sketchy. I prefer the plug and play convenience of the BlueSound (Node) or having Spotify Connect built in. Unfortunately the Node does not have an AES output :(
I don't think you have to run Volumio, it is just what it ships with. Put whatever you want on the SD card is my understanding, but I could be wrong. I think you can run Picoreplayer, Ropiee, etc.. Or just run a Raspberry Pi with a Pi2Aes hat. Much cheaper.

linuxfan

JeremyFife

Hi again! after some research, I found that the Bluesound Node that was released might tick all boxes. This newer version has an HDMIeARC input, which can be used to connect the TV. It also has a miniTOSLINK that I can use to connect the CD player. It also supports roon. Seems ill give it ago. Any opinion on this device?
I had one (The 2021 Node 130) and found it excellent. The DAC was just ok, but you're bypassing that anyway. It was stable and hassle-free and I liked it a lot. Swapped it for a WiiM Mini because I just didn't need its features - like the HDMI input that will be ideal for you.
Some people find the app 'clunky' but it didn't bother me

AndreaT

I have been transferring my roughly 9k CDs into SSDs for the past 5 years. A few recommendations, from painfully learned experience:

1) Metadata as offered by the CD are a mess. There is no standard for names, year of release, name of orchestras, and who is considered the album artist. So, you can never assume that transfer the metadata as they are will create a searchable archive. As an example, Ludwig Van Beethoven is often entered as “Beethoven”, “Beethoven, Ludwig van”, “Beethoven, L” and so on.

2) Choose the digital format carefully: any MP3 is too low in quality to consider. I chose FLAC: it occupies about 1/3 of the space of the 600 megabytes of the original CD, it is a compressed but lossless format. On my Weiss server it plays better than the original CD from my Esoteric X-05.

3) Strongly consider a RAID1 configuration for your music hard drive. It will cost 2x for the same storage, however it avoids a painful loss of the patiently transferred Music and meta data.

4) The joy of a good UI to access your music archive cannot be emphasized enough. My Weiss server has an excellent UI that requires an iPad. Clear, searchable, easy to create a queue of songs, informative. It allows you to play the album enlarging its cover to fill the screen of your iPad in full. The UI of my Cambridge Server is fair: less searchable, less convenient, not great graphics.

It is not even comparable to my past experience, when my CDs were mostly organized on a wall mount. There was always the problem of finding the physical disc: with four systems in different parts of the house, sometimes I was wasting time trying to locate the CD I wished to play. Some of the CD were stacked too high or too low on the shelves to be able to read the labels at eye level: this would influence my choice sometimes, as I would reach for the CD that did not require squatting or hyperextending.

A music server is the closest thing to a telepathic connection between ideation or desire and the playing reproduced music. As such, it shortens the gap between your wish and its fulfillment. We could discuss for hours if this is good or bad. Some “audiophiles” enjoy the ceremonial acts of searching the LP, cleaning the vinyl surface (an impossible task imo) and the stylus, checking its azimuth, warming up the tubes…I enjoy to spend my finite time listening.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 57

Pe8er

Forum Donor
I’m surprised nobody mentioned MiniDSP SHD Studio yet? It seems to fit all your needs.

It comes with Volumio, which is a little sketchy in terms of UX but it’s not a dealbreaker IMHO since it also does USB, AirPlay, Roon and Spotify. And it works very well with Genelecs!

Top Bottom