• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamers. I don’t get it. Am I missing something?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been meaning to put one up for a while. I don't want to chop and change, as that just gets confusing, but I may swap every now and then.

Saw them play the album on full on the 20th anniversary tour at the Manchester Apollo.
Seen them many times between 97 (I think) at Reading (that blew my mind). Stopped going around Songs in A&E.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, here's what I have.

- Kitchen - Sonos Play 5.
- Main Lounge - Amazon Fire TV Cube into Denon AVR into B&W speakers.
- Office (where I do my main, personal listening, and where the best quality is needed) - PC into FiiO K5 Pro, then various headphones.

So the Sonos is a speaker with built in streamer in the kitchen, and the Amazon Cube is the streamer in the Main Lounge.

I suppose my question is, would a streamer be of any benefit in the office, given my PC is in there anyway to start with.
I can't see how a stand-alone streamer would improve your life.

CMB

I have used for years a Mac mini with Audirvana (before I used Foobar/PC longtime).
I used my large TV as screen.
Most of the time I stream Tidal.
I could plug in Dirac in Audirvana which is great.
I can use my phone and iPad as Audirvana remote.
Perfect.

Well, I had to find the TV remote, launch my TV, choose HDMI, also often my Ipad/Iphone runs out of batterie, most often I had to walk to the MacMini/TV set, I had to use the mouse.
Sometimes, I have to relaunch Audirvana... or even the whole Mac mini...

Then I bought a Node 3 streamer recently and I don't regret it at all, I LOVE IT, even I can not use Dirac anymore.
It is plugged digital into my RME Adi DAC (using EQ).
The best thing being, I can control it from my Macbook (BlueOs) on my knees while browsing or reading ASR...
I don't have to turn my TV on anymore.
It is so convenient for the moment, I am very happy with it.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I suppose my question is, would a streamer be of any benefit in the office, given my PC is in there anyway to start with.

Considering your setup, I’d say no. If you were to add another listening area and wanted to control it from your PC or mobile device, then a streamer might be useful, otherwise it sounds like you’re covered.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How do you get AMHD to hand off between devices?
Well, it's not the hand off like Tidal Connect, I simply run multiple instances of the App's on different devices with the same playlists in both Tidal and AMHD so I can compare recordings, and playback devices while listening with various headphones and IEM's.

It's really not that hard to set up, I'm sure you can figure it out. :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Not really. The pure streamer is just the transport pre dac. The DAP is an all in one streamer, dac and headamp.

But "steamer" has a pretty broad definition so I'm not sure what definition OP is using.

Our dog sometimes leaves "steamers" on the back deck...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it's not the hand off like Tidal Connect, I simply run multiple instances of the App's on different devices with the same playlists in both Tidal and AMHD so I can compare recordings, and playback devices while listening with various headphones and IEM's.

It's really not that hard to set up, I'm sure you can figure it out. :)

Ah, thought you had figured out a Connect like way of moving the stream around between devices.

Jman

Wat advantage would a streamer bring? Is it purely so you don’t have to use a PC?
Apart from laptop I also used my cell phone as a streamer until over use of the socket (OTG cable to DAC) caused interrupted usb streams, constant fear for wiggling the wire, tested some wires
Now the phone is a wireless remote control for my Pro-ject Stream Box S2 ultra. Phone socket is merely used for charging now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom