• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer with FIR support?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently I use an ITX mini PC running Win10 + JRiver and music files, and apply DSP room correction with FIR filters that I created (REW + UMIK-1).

I want to buy a streamer that:
- Runs Tidal Connect and allows me to switch songs on my phone.
- Accepts the wave files with the FIR filters that I created.
- Has digital output, ideally AES-EBU (XLR), but Toslink (optical) would also do.
- Stable and bug free.
- Small and affordable.

Are there options in the market, either a finished product or DIY (Raspberry Pi based + attachments)?

PS: PCM 24/192 would enough, no need for DSD and hell no MQA.

Thanks.

Edit: specifying Tidal Connect as plan A.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently I use an ITX mini PC running Win10 + JRiver and music files, and apply DSP room correction with FIR filters that I created (REW + UMIK-1).

I want to buy a streamer that:
- Runs Tidal or Qobuz and allows me to switch songs on my phone.
- Accepts the wave files with the FIR filters that I created.
- Has digital output, ideally AES-EBU (XLR), but Toslink (optical) would also do.
- Stable and bug free.
- Small and affordable.

Are there options in the market, either a finished product or DIY (Raspberry Pi based + attachments)?

PS: PCM 24/192 would enough, no need for DSD and hell no MQA.

Thanks.
Would Pi plus Moode work? (With Camilla DSP).

Used to work for me casting Quobuz via mconnect app (iPhone) or any UPNP app for android.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would Pi plus Moode work? (With Camilla DSP).

Used to work for me casting Quobuz via mconnect app (iPhone) or any UPNP app for android.
I see that Tidal Connect works with Volumio.

Not sure if Volumio accepts FIR filters. And what attachment to use for digital output on a Pi.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, and with an attachment such as below we get there:

Pi + Volumio + FusionDSP + AES-EBU.

This checks all the boxes. Will give a serious thought on buying all these. Thanks a lot!

Edit: another one.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, and with an attachment such as below we get there:

Pi + Volumio + FusionDSP + AES-EBU.

This checks all the boxes. Will give a serious thought on buying all these. Thanks a lot!
Btw. Mconnect and Moode also works with Tidal, not only Qubuz. At least you have options or try them both and see what suits you best as it isn’t much work to flash one or the other.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although I love SBCs, I think it would be a remiss to not also consider a fanless mini PC for the task. It starts from $125 with a coupon, so same a bit cheaper than RPi4 + a case at the moment, comes with W11 pro license, and you can continue running all the software you are familiar with with your current PC. I use a few of them for various tasks around home and work very well. I am not sure if it will tick all the boxes for you, but as I said, it would be a remiss in my opinion not to have a look at least.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Although I love SBCs, I think it would be a remiss to not also consider a fanless mini PC for the task. It starts from $125 with a coupon, so same a bit cheaper than RPi4 + a case at the moment, comes with W11 pro license, and you can continue running all the software you are familiar with with your current PC. I use a few of them for various tasks around home and work very well. I am not sure if it will tick all the boxes for you, but as I said, it would be a remiss in my opinion not to have a look at least.

I currently use a mini PC, so it is just a matter of using a software on Windows to allow Tidal Connect and FIR filters. Any ideas except Roon?

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have often found the best way forward is to keep the streaming and processing seperate (at least physically).

Roon is a great way to go about things if you're a library/Tidal/Qobuz person.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have often found the best way forward is to keep the streaming and processing seperate (at least physically).

Roon is a great way to go about things if you're a library/Tidal/Qobuz person.
I intend to avoid Roon as the plague.
As having owned an ultraRendu + JRiver system in the past, I prefer not to deal with local streaming anymore.

So far Pi + AES looks like a winner to me.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
keep in mind that any inputs other than Pi will not have the processing. that's why i recommend a seperate solution.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
keep in mind that any inputs other than Pi will not have the processing. that's why i recommend a seperate solution.
Sorry, I did not understand that. Which inputs, what processing?

Pi + AES is pretty separate AFAIK.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I currently use a mini PC, so it is just a matter of using a software on Windows to allow Tidal Connect and FIR filters. Any ideas except Roon?
I am afraid no.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
lets say that you have a record player or a TV or a CD player .etc these source will not receive the processing.
It is a dedicated listening room. The DAC will switch between the 2 digital sources:
1. USB: Windows + JRiver + local files.
2. AES-EBU: Pi + AES + Tidal Connect.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From someone who went down this path, i really recommend getting an AVR, something with confirmed and/or have support for Dirac.

Unless you really love the process of getting good sound (with unreliability as a cherry on top) and is one of the main reasons you’re doing this and you have absolutely no interest in Dolby Atmos music.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From someone who went down this path, i really recommend getting an AVR, something with confirmed and/or have support for Dirac.

Unless you really love the process of getting good sound (with unreliability as a cherry on top) and is one of the main reasons you’re doing this and you have absolutely no interest in Dolby Atmos music.
I am fine with REW and not interested in Dirac and Atmos.

Top Bottom