• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer w/EQ recommendations

gallionetech

Hey all,

I've noticed some slowness from my RBP 4 Model B 2GB with Volumio on it. It takes really long to switch tracks. My old Aurender N150 (returned) was near instantaneous when switching tracks on Tidal Connect.

Anyone know of a good streamer than has EQ abilities and isn't in the snake oily price range of the Aurender? I only use Tidal so don't need any server functionality. Id prefer it to be a simple transport as I have a Topping A90/D90SE for my stack and don't want to pay extra for a DAC/amp thats built in if I'm not using it.

Thanks in advance!

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

The WiiM Mini and WiiM Pro both support EQ, including parametric

Thanks I did check those out. I saw they don't have USB out which was my preferred connection. Is there any difference in quality in optical input vs USB?

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Also do you know the difference between the Pro and Mini?

Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
Also do you know the difference between the Pro and Mini?

Thanks
Take a look at the website: https://wiimhome.com/WiiMMini/Overview
There's a section only to answer that question:
Screenshot_20230126-033107_Chrome.png

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Veri

Master Contributor
I was looking into these, can anyone confirm the PEQ is not just a toy and works actually well on these WiiM products?
If I can use my 9-band EQ on a Wiim it would be a great budget contender for sure.

morillon

Major Contributor
no peq for the moment..only a bad eq with a drc...
rather to forget for the moment...

Veri

Master Contributor
no peq for the moment..only a bad eq with a drc...
rather to forget for the moment...
Well okay. I think I'm gonna pre-order the PRO one just for the streaming part then. And hope for proper (P)EQ profiles some time in the future.
It still seems like a nice enough product, just for the digital output...

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
FYI according to the linked review by @VintageFlanker using the EQ function seems to create a great deal of added distortion and noise. I believe it is currently recommended to not use the EQ function.

Veri

Master Contributor
FYI according to the linked review by @VintageFlanker using the EQ function seems to create a great deal of added distortion and noise. I believe it is currently recommended to not use the EQ function.

I did spot that, but on the other hand it's said that after lowering output by -1.2 dBFS it is safe?

morillon

Major Contributor
unfortunately it is more complicated than that....
so in many cases lowering the general output level by a few percent will not be enough...
not safe

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe it is currently recommended to not use the EQ function.
In fact, it starts to become transparent (Flat setting) from ≈95% Volume and below...

At fixed volume, it clipps, so barely usable at all.
I did spot that, but on the other hand it's said that after lowering output by -1.2 dBFS it is safe?
Right.
REW FFT EQ FLAT.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
In fact, it starts to become transparent (Flat setting) from ≈95% Volume and below...

At fixed volume, it clipps, so barely usable at all.
-1,26dBFS then ;) Got it. I only just got my pre-order in so it'll probably not be before end of next month that I can play around with it....

excuse me but you misunderstood the situation
Yes just the very 'simple' EQ present now. I know proper PEQ is not available at this time. We'll see if WiiM delivers on their promise on have such a thing eventually.

morillon

Major Contributor
you have to understand the origin of the eq problem and the principle of the drc that wiim used to try to camouflage it (very clumsily)

"""
if you increase somes frequencies in eq mode, you will have to lower the output level proportionally...and add the few percent less to move away from the drc threshold..
we would have almost been able to manually realize it... without this drc and its impact! to avoid digital saturation
this drc from texas was not designed to compensate for an idiotic eq mode....
the situation therefore remains destitute over the months...(after months of digital clippings)
"""
"""
the drc is for never have digital clippings.
the irony... is that by performing your correction "in negative" starting from 0db... you could even do without the small volume reduction to avoid the drc...! but it is not disengageable ( for the moment?)....
"""
yes if the general level does not exceed -1.2dbfs the drc will not engage
but no, lowering the general level by 5 percent in mode eq may not be enough to avoid its commitment...
will depend on the correction and positive values applied

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
It's rather simple with WiiM and EQ mode actually - any signal which exceeds -1.1x dBFS for a time period long enough to activate DRC limiter, will introduce distortions as shown on the graphs above.

morillon

Major Contributor
Of course
but that's why just lowering the genre level to 5% of the general level will not be enough to ensure that the drc will never engage, in many cases if the eq mode is used and the level of certain frequencies is increased ...
that's all
will have to adapt the general level to the positive correction + the 1.2dbfs..
(what you have experienced for example with the +12dbfs..)
stop for me...
;-)

Top Bottom