• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer to connect to DAC

Argus

I currently have a Tandberg 3012 and Braun L8100HE speakers. I would like to use a streamer/DAC setup. I have looked at the DAC Schiit Modi 3+ and would like recommendations for a streamer to use common streaming services i.e. Spotify, Tidal, etc. I have also looked at the Bluesound Note 2i, but cost is a factor. I may also just settle for the Amazon Echo Link, but think I could do better in the same approximate price point. Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There isn't a lot of love for the Echo Link on here. You might want to look at a Raspberry Pi 4. This can easily be configured as a streamer that would connect to the Modi 3+.

Spotify Connect works with most operating systems (Moode, Volumio, Ropieee XL and many others). When it comes to Tidal then you can use the RPi4 as a UPnP renderer. You would then need an app on your phone/tablet to control the whole thing. Bubble UPnP or Mconnect are two such apps.

The Chromecast Audio (CCA) is super easy to use. It's been discontinued, but you can usually find 2nd hand ones. It doesn't do gapless playback on Tidal and Qobuz (the RPi method does give that) but it's a bit more plug n play than the RPi.

Lots of good info on this forum about setting up an RPi. I'm always happy to help with specific advice and questions.

FloatingPoint

You don't even need a Raspberry Pi 4. I'm still using a Rpi 1b to stream music to one of my systems, running Moode Audio. Music streaming doesn't use much in the way of processing power. Some will claim that since the earlier Pi's had ethernet and USB on the same bus they were noisier, but any decent USB DAC like the Modi 3+ or the Topping D10s will clean it up nicely. I doubt anyone would be able to say "OMG, I can hear that you're using an olde Rpi!"

Sukie

Forum Donor
you don't even need a Raspberry Pi 4. I'm still using a Rpi 1b to stream music to one of my systems, running Moode Audio.
If it ain't broke - don't fix it! Definitely. I only suggest an RPi4 as a new buy option because it's available and it does avoid potential problems with USB Audio.

Last edited:

Sukie

Forum Donor
How would an AudioCast M5 rate with the DAC Schiit Modi 3+?
There's no optical out on the AudioCast M5 so you couldn't connect it a DAC. It's come up before on this forum as a possible replacement for CCA, but they aren't the same.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Spdif 3.5mm
Thanks for that. It does like a rather good solution if you're happy to add in a screen. I'm assuming that it doesn't work if the hdmi isn't connected. Same problems as CCA re: gapless playback (obviously) unless using Roon, I presume.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I'm not really familiar with the MiBox S. How do you connect it to a DAC?
It's Android box with in built (OS) usb audio 2.0 support so you plug the DAC to USB same as you would with phone. MiBox is just an example as it has some firmware support (updates) which is usually not a case with most of Android TV Boxes but never the less it will work with all of them. Tip if you want to go that way better option is to get a Android TV box with optical out and connect it to the DAC that way.
People around hire usually recommend Pi-Pi bords, initially its a lot of work to get it done properly but it's rewarding in the end with long term software support which lacks on any of the Android TV boxes but then again if you already have one (TV box) hardly there's any need to buy anything else.
Edit: it's possible to do a point B (central point in your system if it's a TV or something else with optical out) connection with any of those (Pi's or TV boxes) connection to DAC and run it to there with HDMI. This eliminate additional cost and it's convinian while eliminating possible negative effects of drty USB power. Also TV can act as a Switch (HDMI ports) this way.

Last edited:
OP
A

Argus

Thank you all for your suggestions and assistance. I have decided on the Echo Link as a test, to see how well it works on my system. If it doesn't do the job, I will go to plan B, and get the DAC Schiit Modi 3+ to connect to it. The video by John Darko gave me the idea. I'm waiting for the delivery from Laredo and then to my location in Mexico, since for some reason some Amazon items aren't sold for delivery to Mexico. The saga continues...news to follow.

OP
A

Argus

I've listened to the Echo Link and it sounds significantly better than listening to Bluetooth. I'm considering obtaining an external DAC and am looking at the following:

• Schiit Modi 3+
  • SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II
  • Topping D10

Your experience and suggestions would be most appreciated.
TIA

raysay

I've listened to the Echo Link and it sounds significantly better than listening to Bluetooth. I'm considering obtaining an external DAC and am looking at the following:

• Schiit Modi 3+
  • SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II
  • Topping D10

Your experience and suggestions would be most appreciated.
TIA

Go for SCHIIT MODI 3+

Top Bottom