• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer recommendation

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What I do not like about RPi based streamers is to have to use my laptop as UI for music playing. I have two streamers: a Cambridge Audio CXN v.1 purchased new when it was less than $ 900 MSRP and a Weiss MAN30. The CA digital output goes into a Gustard X16 DAC. The Weiss AES/EBU into an Okto dac8 Stereo. The CA has a fair build quality, limited UI on iPhone or CA small screen. Audio quality seems fair to good.

The Weiss has a superb UI on iPad, and a convenient CD slot (it is I believe a DVD player) for digital file transfer from my CD collection. They both have some gremlins when upgrading the SSDs and occasionally the Weiss goes into a re-read mode of the digital files that takes > 24 h to ready the 69,000+ digital music files collection. The audio quality is superb.

Overall, I use both of them as a digital juke-box, and I have spent endless time to edit the metadata of the CDs (there is no industry standards for composers, names of players, orchestras, directors, etc.). So i guess they are more servers than streamers for me.
Suppose there must have been something about that Weiss, they're still selling the MAN301 "new" despite it being on the market for a decade... and it still costs a boatload. Think maybe the NP3 by IOTAVX worth a look instead.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I do not like about RPi based streamers is to have to use my laptop as UI for music playing.
Add a touch screen.

AndreaT

Forum Donor
Suppose there must have been something about that Weiss, they're still selling the MAN301 "new" despite it being on the market for a decade... and it still costs a boatload. Think maybe the NP3 by IOTAVX worth a look instead.
True. It works and it has a splendid iPad based UI. I bought it used for <1/3 of new price. Mr.Weiss serviced it for free when a new CD reader was required. I will take a look at iotavx.

dtaylo1066

Zen works well enough. Allo Boss 2 player. See review on this site. If you want to use your USB connection on your DAC and want to DIY then I suggest a Asus Tinker board/Rpi and Volumio or other free software.

eddantes

Used CCA >> Optical into a decent DAC... Bob's your uncle!

AndreaT

Forum Donor
Zen works well enough. Allo Boss 2 player. See review on this site. If you want to use your USB connection on your DAC and want to DIY then I suggest a Asus Tinker board/Rpi and Volumio or other free software.
I do have an Allo Boss 2 player. It is quite cumbersome to set up, it requires my laptop to work. Someone suggested to add a touch screen. It requires time (that I do not have) and competence (that probably I do not have). I am having better result with a Topping M50, even if it was able to read only 14,000 of my 70,000 FLAC files…My goal is to have a portable electronic Juke-Box with my entire music collection in each of the rooms where I listen to Music.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Your speakers look great, if they sound as good as they look, well done. Even the chest of drawers matches, bet your wife loves you for it. Anyway, why can't you just find a good DAC with bluetooth (DX3 pro plus comes to mind), stream from your computer to DAC to amp? It seems like the most elegant solution.

Stickler1

Raspberry Pi is probably the best fit for your budget. But first you have to actually find an Rpi, then you have to pick out software and they all have pros and cons. A step up is the ifi zen streamer, and a step up from that is bluesound node. A budget option is the new wiim mini streamer, but it looks like they are still working out the kinks. Also, no usb output.

Disclaimer: I haven't used any of these devices. I've just been following these types of products for a while.
WiiM has no USB input either. Even many Roku's have that.

Wino

I have 3 RPi 4 streamers running Picoreplayer with Logitech Media Server. 2 use USB to DACs and the other uses Pi2aes hat with coax to my AVR. All 3 have 7" RPi touchscreen. UI is easy and you are not relegated to PC. I use Squeeze Ctrl on my Android phone for the UI, but there is also a full featured skin for web called Material Skin. Ipeng is available for Iphones and there are other UI's available for your phone or tablet if those don't meet your needs. Have never had an issue with LMS/Picoreplayer once it is setup properly.

I also have 2 Wiim's that I have been playing with mostly for Tidal. Tidal is available with LMS and Picoreplayer, but the interface is bare bones. There is an extension you run on your phone called LMS Connect that allows access to Tidal app. The Wiim has been glitchy with getting the devices to show up on Tidal Connect. But, when it works, it gives fu access to Tidal app. Can't speak to either regarding other services.

Right now I use LMS/Picoreplayer for my music files, about 3000 ripped discs in FLAC or DSF. I use Wiim for Tidal integration. I also like Radio Paradise and both have access, but only LMS has album artwork for Radio Paradise, so mostly use that.

Good luck finding a RPi4 if you go that way. Recommend Rpi4 over Rpi3 due to separation of USB/Ethernet channels. I have found some RPis available on Craigslist, so maybe check there.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
What I do not like about RPi based streamers is to have to use my laptop as UI for music playing.
The Weiss has a superb UI on iPad
Which RPi streamer software have you been using that requires you to use a laptop? The common ones all work from a browser, including on a phone or tablet, and most have apps that can control them.

AndreaT

Forum Donor
Which RPi streamer software have you been using that requires you to use a laptop? The common ones all work from a browser, including on a phone or tablet, and most have apps that can control them.
I have tried my Allo Boss2 with Moodi…I found the UI clunky and uninviting…maybe I should have tried for longer…as an update, the Topping M50 seems also not ideal…I did not find a way to quickly sort out all the Artist by choosing a letter (say “M”)…

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I have tried my Allo Boss2 with Moodi…I found the UI clunky and uninviting…maybe I should have tried for longer…
Or tried some of the many other Pi based options before dismissing them all, as they have different ideas about what makes a good GUI. Or tried some of the app options as they present the interface differently again.

Most of the Pi based streamers are using either LogitechMediaServer/squeezelite or MPD under the skin, so can have most of their music functions controlled with one of the remote apps for the underlying system. Some examples are Squeezer or iPeng for LMS, and this list for MPD.

LMS also has skin plugins for more UI variations, with the Material Skin being a popular 3rd party one.

Top Bottom