• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer Recommendation for Amazon 192/24 flac stuff

D

Deleted member 46664

How come Plex is outdated? They release server updates every couple weeks...

Referring to the NAS server-client pair. What you see in televisions and streamers is entirely different code.

Bamyasi

Referring to the NAS server-client pair. What you see in televisions and streamers is entirely different code.
Not sure about particular NAS you may be using, and I do not use any commercial NAS products at home myself, but Plex website has downloads for both server and client apps with recent versions available for all major CPU architectures, operating systems and numerous NAS brands/models; all are frequently updated.

I do not want to sound like a Plex fanboy, just dislike when people spread unreliable and incorrect information.

D

Deleted member 46664

Not sure about particular NAS you may be using, and I do not use any commercial NAS products at home myself, but Plex website has downloads for both server and client apps with recent versions available for all major CPU architectures, operating systems and numerous NAS brands/models; all are frequently updated.

I do not want to sound like a Plex fanboy, just dislike when people spread unreliable and incorrect information.

I'm not a fan of Plex at all ... I don't like the idea of transcoding just to send ... I access my files directly through File Sharing.

If I'm wrong about Plex currency, then I apologize.

OP
R

Ritz

I'm not a fan of Plex at all ... I don't like the idea of transcoding just to send ... I access my files directly through File Sharing.

If I'm wrong about Plex currency, then I apologize.

Transcoding can be turned on/off in the server config. I have it disabled. I also run Plex on a dedicated raspberry Pi 4. I do have a NAS that's populated with a bunch of 2TB SSD's (mostly to back up my linux systems along with my audio/video content backups), but I'm not a believer of running things like a media server on an important appliance like that.

Functionally, Plex works great and is popular with my family. My elderly parents use it as well and they also love the interface. I'm just trying to figure out how to best get 192/24 or 96/24 flac files out of the end of a streaming device so that I can feed it to a dedicated DAC. Right now, the only way I have to do that is to use the painful HEOS client that can deliver uncompressed FLAC files from Amazon Music HD to my Denon home theater receiver.

Best,

D

Deleted member 46664

Functionally, Plex works great and is popular with my family. My elderly parents use it as well and they also love the interface. I'm just trying to figure out how to best get 192/24 or 96/24 flac files out of the end of a streaming device so that I can feed it to a dedicated DAC. Right now, the only way I have to do that is to use the painful HEOS client that can deliver uncompressed FLAC files from Amazon Music HD to my Denon home theater receiver.

This is why I organized my files into a careful hierarchy and use the Windows file sharing to access them. (As I described earlier) I can use a simple media player and have it's decompressed PCM output feed my DAC or amp. It's a simple "click to play" interface and I've yet to have any problems with it.

OP
R

Ritz

This is why I organized my files into a careful hierarchy and use the Windows file sharing to access them. (As I described earlier) I can use a simple media player and have it's decompressed PCM output feed my DAC or amp. It's a simple "click to play" interface and I've yet to have any problems with it.

It's on my list of things to try.

Best,

yllanos

What am I wrong about? The manual for the xiaomi was rather spartan. Or was I wrong about the miniDSP?

Best,
This is my quote of your comment:
1652280798959.png

The Xiaomi box has the ability to recognize and use USB DACs as external device. There is another thread here on this site where some people are actually using this device as a streamer with good results with the usual Topping/SMSL units. In fact, I will get one soon to build my own system. I'm not investing a lot into my answers, I think you already have made your decision.

OP
R

Ritz

This is my quote of your comment:
View attachment 206035

The Xiaomi box has the ability to recognize and use USB DACs as external device. There is another thread here on this site where some people are actually using this device as a streamer with good results with the usual Topping/SMSL units. In fact, I will get one soon to build my own system. I'm not investing a lot into my answers, I think you already have made your decision.

I have? Why would I bother asking for help if I'd already "decided" on anything?

Best,

Top Bottom