• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer for Genelecs

brandall10

Hey guys,

Thinking about picking up some 8351b speakers shortly... so I would like stream a) wirelessly and b) through optical input. But I will need AES-EBU outs, no need for a DAC. Will be streaming using either Roon or Tidal Connect if availale.

The only thing off the top of my head that suffices for reasonable $$ is the MiniDSP SHD studio at $850... but no need for Dirac Live as I will use GLM.

Any other options out there? It's unfortunate the SHD can't be sold without a Dirac license, I'd rather not pay near half the cost of the unit for something I won't use. But I do at the very least need AES-EBU outs, which aren't super common.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys,

Thinking about picking up some 8351b speakers shortly... so I would like stream a) wirelessly and b) through optical input. But I will need AES-EBU outs, no need for a DAC. Will be streaming using either Roon or Tidal Connect if availale.

The only thing off the top of my head that suffices for reasonable $$ is the MiniDSP SHD studio at $850... but no need for Dirac Live as I will use GLM.

Any other options out there? It's unfortunate the SHD can't be sold without a Dirac license, I'd rather not pay near half the cost of the unit for something I won't use. But I do at the very least need AES-EBU outs, which aren't super common.
I have found Volumio to be poor as a streamer. Tried the Raspberry Pi route but was unhappy with the stability (although spotify connect was mostly good) and I own the MiniDSP SHD but don't use it as a streamer (and wouldn't recommend it as a streamer).

What you need is a Coax digital out that has volume control and Genelecs will work with a 75-110 Ohm converter
https://www.community.genelec.com/forum/-/message_boards/message/933116#/

Sonos, MusicCast, and Heos have figured out the streaming thing and made is easy and reliable so I recommend picking one of those. If you want to constantly tinker with you networking settings, remounting your music drives and periodically rebooting you can give Volumio a try.

I use a Yamaha WXC-50 via digital out and this works fine with volume control. The Sonos Port would work as well.

OP
B

brandall10

Thanks everyone! The raspberry PI looks like a cool solution, but probably too minimal. I'm happy paying $500'ish for a finished option.

@waynel The Yamaha looks like it's right up my alley, and it appears they are supported by Tidal for Connect, which is awesome. So just that and an adaptor like @samysound show with a split AEB-EBU and I should be good to go?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks everyone! The raspberry PI looks like a cool solution, but probably too minimal. I'm happy paying $500'ish for a finished option.

@waynel The Yamaha looks like it's right up my alley, and it appears they are supported by Tidal for Connect, which is awesome. So just that and an adaptor like @samysound show with a split AEB-EBU and I should be good to go?
Yes on the adapter, Not sure if Tidal connect works on the WXC-50 , haven't tried ,(Tidal in the musicCast App had a problem with gapless playback, not sure if that's resolved) but Spotify connect works great.

samysound

the canare impedance converters are bnc to xlr so you would need a rca to bnc adapter or cable (bluejeanscable can make you one)

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Also, I should mention to keep the cables fairly short since you're using SPDIF (12 feet should be fine) . Maybe put the streamer near one speaker and connect the AES cable to one then use the digital through to the other speaker that way you avoid an AES splitter (which must be impedance matched and costs ~$65).

OP
B

brandall10

the canare impedance converters are bnc to xlr so you would need a rca to bnc adapter or cable (bluejeanscable can make you one)

I think I'm missing something - it looks like yamaha streamer has a bnc out?

SoldOnSoul

I use a Chromecast audio and a Hosa 312 converter box to feed my 8341's. Works fine and gives easy access to all sources. Have the absolute advantage of being able to play from virtually any source.

I do a lot of my music discoveries on SoundCloud and mixcloud. Couldn't come up with another solution than Chromecast that would give the freedom of choice if source.

Have been looking at the RME adi-2 pro to replace the Hosa box. Not sure it will improve anything, maybe a case of audiophilia nervousa?

OP
B

brandall10

I use a Chromecast audio and a Hosa 312 converter box to feed my 8341's. Works fine and gives easy access to all sources. Have the absolute advantage of being able to play from virtually any source.

I do a lot of my music discoveries on SoundCloud and mixcloud. Couldn't come up with another solution than Chromecast that would give the freedom of choice if source.

Have been looking at the RME adi-2 pro to replace the Hosa box. Not sure it will improve anything, maybe a case of audiophilia nervousa?

That is awesome... never considered the Chromecast. I think due to the flexibility of the Node 2i (ie. Tidal Connect support) I'm probably going with that and will likely route my TV through it as well, and then have the Node output to the Hosa box you mention.

The one thing this site taught me, is to ignore things that won't bring real benefit. The Hosa box is fine in my book... the DACs in the Genelecs themselves are marginal, but they have to be used regardless and the Gennies obviously perform to a world class level.

Sprint

Forum Donor
I have found Volumio to be poor as a streamer. Tried the Raspberry Pi route but was unhappy with the stability (although spotify connect was mostly good) and I own the MiniDSP SHD but don't use it as a streamer (and wouldn't recommend it as a streamer).

What you need is a Coax digital out that has volume control and Genelecs will work with a 75-110 Ohm converter
https://www.community.genelec.com/forum/-/message_boards/message/933116#/

Sonos, MusicCast, and Heos have figured out the streaming thing and made is easy and reliable so I recommend picking one of those. If you want to constantly tinker with you networking settings, remounting your music drives and periodically rebooting you can give Volumio a try.

I use a Yamaha WXC-50 via digital out and this works fine with volume control. The Sonos Port would work as well.

@waynel: I have currently Genelec 8340 as LCR, 8330 as surrounds and 2 SVS 12 inch subs connected to Yamaha AVR 775. I use Apple 4KTV to stream Apple Music, Netflix, YouTube and Disney+. Room correction via GLM. Genelecs are connected to 5 channel pre-out in AVR via RCA XLR adaptors. For sub correction, I have just ordered Minidsp 2x4HD most likely with DIRAC update. I will take a RCA cable from Yamaha AVR sub preout and pass it into Minidsp and use 2 out from Minidsp to connect to SVS subs.

Since I want to get into 2.2 ch music listening via Amazon HD, Qobuz or Tidal via digital outs, I too am looking for streamer with digital outs. Since Genelec can take 2 XLR/AES, one analog and one digital. I want to feed the digital AES into Genelec L&R monitors. My question to you is

1. how can I manage to take digital out from WXC-50 and feed it to left and right Genelecs. I saw the recommended BNC AES transformed from Neutrik. But how can I feed 2 Genelec monitors from one adaptor.

2. Moreover for 2.2 channel music, can I take the subwoofer out from pre-out and feed to the second input of minidsp 2x4HD for sub correction. Can subwoofer out work in conjunction with digital out? If not, how do I get the digital signal into minidsp. Minidsp can also accept Toslink signal. In that case I need to split digital signal into two. one for sub into minidsp and one for Genelec monitors.

3. Does the volume control of WXC-50 work well via remote for digital output? In that case, I do not need a Genelec volume control correct. The thing is my GLM measurements are stored in the speakers and the ethernet cables are not connected always.

4. Can I control the Qobuz or Tidal via Musicast app from iPad? I guess so.

I was also thinking about minidsp SHD but since it does not support Qobuz directly, I want to take either Bluesound or WXC-50 route.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@waynel: I have currently Genelec 8340 as LCR, 8330 as surrounds and 2 SVS 12 inch subs connected to Yamaha AVR 775. I use Apple 4KTV to stream Apple Music, Netflix, YouTube and Disney+. Room correction via GLM. Genelecs are connected to 5 channel pre-out in AVR via RCA XLR adaptors. For sub correction, I have just ordered Minidsp 2x4HD most likely with DIRAC update. I will take a RCA cable from Yamaha AVR sub preout and pass it into Minidsp and use 2 out from Minidsp to connect to SVS subs.

Since I want to get into 2.2 ch music listening via Amazon HD, Qobuz or Tidal via digital outs, I too am looking for streamer with digital outs. Since Genelec can take 2 XLR/AES, one analog and one digital. I want to feed the digital AES into Genelec L&R monitors. My question to you is

1. how can I manage to take digital out from WXC-50 and feed it to left and right Genelecs. I saw the recommended BNC AES transformed from Neutrik. But how can I feed 2 Genelec monitors from one adaptor.

2. Moreover for 2.2 channel music, can I take the subwoofer out from pre-out and feed to the second input of minidsp 2x4HD for sub correction. Can subwoofer out work in conjunction with digital out? If not, how do I get the digital signal into minidsp. Minidsp can also accept Toslink signal. In that case I need to split digital signal into two. one for sub into minidsp and one for Genelec monitors.

3. Does the volume control of WXC-50 work well via remote for digital output? In that case, I do not need a Genelec volume control correct. The thing is my GLM measurements are stored in the speakers and the ethernet cables are not connected always.

4. Can I control the Qobuz or Tidal via Musicast app from iPad? I guess so.

I was also thinking about minidsp SHD but since it does not support Qobuz directly, I want to take either Bluesound or WXC-50 route.
1) use a neutrik spiff to AES adaptor to feed one monitor, Use the AES through from that monitor to the second one
2) I recommend that you add a nanoDigi to use as sub crossover and room correction.
3) yes, WXC-50 volume control for digital out works great from remote, knob, or app. (keep it in preamp mode)
4) yes, I like spotify connect too but also use the MusicCast app

Top Bottom