• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer / DAC for 2 channel couple and TV?

Jungstar

I am looking for a streamer preamp for my DIY Speakers and DIY Poweramp, I spent about 1200+800 USD in components, and I would say it is very good.
I have used a Raspberry Pi + DAC hat, but it is not robust and has too many times where I need to restart the Pi - especially when two people try and control it from PC, Android, and iPhone etc. So I am looking for a more robust and family-friendly solution, where I can still upgrade and "play" with HiFi.
  • My GF uses Apple Music and would like to use Airplay without fiddling too much.
  • My GF wants to watch TV and use the TV remote for volume....
    • The TV has HDMI arc out which I believe drives digital audio and volume
    • Bonus if it turned on with TV.
  • I mostly play music via Spotify connect. Sometimes Tidal.
    • I would really like to play music without having the TV on.
  • It would be really a bonus if there was a physical button, and it turned on my everyday Radio or Dinner Playlist etc.
  • If I used an external DAC via USB from the above streamer, could it pass on volume?
I have a hard time finding good streamers or DAC with HDMI Arc in? Especially one that turns on with input?

I guess another option is to have two systems - one for TV and one for Hifi and a selector/preamp that saves volume for each input.

Any ideas?

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am looking for a streamer preamp for my DIY Speakers and DIY Poweramp, I spent about 1200+800 USD in components, and I would say it is very good.
I have used a Raspberry Pi + DAC hat, but it is not robust and has too many times where I need to restart the Pi - especially when two people try and control it from PC, Android, and iPhone etc. So I am looking for a more robust and family-friendly solution, where I can still upgrade and "play" with HiFi.
  • My GF uses Apple Music and would like to use Airplay without fiddling too much.
  • My GF wants to watch TV and use the TV remote for volume....
    • The TV has HDMI arc out which I believe drives digital audio and volume
    • Bonus if it turned on with TV.
  • I mostly play music via Spotify connect. Sometimes Tidal.
    • I would really like to play music without having the TV on.
  • It would be really a bonus if there was a physical button, and it turned on my everyday Radio or Dinner Playlist etc.
  • If I used an external DAC via USB from the above streamer, could it pass on volume?
I have a hard time finding good streamers or DAC with HDMI Arc in? Especially one that turns on with input?

I guess another option is to have two systems - one for TV and one for Hifi and a selector/preamp that saves volume for each input.

Any ideas?
WiiM (optical input from TV) is Airplay and Spotify Connect ready and has alarm feature (haven't used). DAC is only fair but it may meet your needs and it's CHEAP.

Top Bottom