• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer/DAC combo with Tidal Connect and MQA

Victornun

Hi guys
I’m new here trying to upgrade my system. I currently have a Bluesound 2i that I use as my streamer and DAC, since it has exactly what I need (Tidal Connect and MQA). However for all non-master content I feel that the internal DAC could be better.
So I’m looking to buy a better DAC and leave the Bluesound 2i as a streamer only. I was looking to buy the Topping D90, however I realized that the MQA only works with the USB input, and the Bluesound does nos have that output.
Do you guys recommend any solution here? Do I have to ditch the Bluesound and get another streamer (with Tidal Connect)? Or do you recommend another DAC where I can connect the Bluesound?

Ameliorate

Hi guys
I’m new here trying to upgrade my system. I currently have a Bluesound 2i that I use as my streamer and DAC, since it has exactly what I need (Tidal Connect and MQA). However for all non-master content I feel that the internal DAC could be better.
So I’m looking to buy a better DAC and leave the Bluesound 2i as a streamer only. I was looking to buy the Topping D90, however I realized that the MQA only works with the USB input, and the Bluesound does nos have that output.
Do you guys recommend any solution here? Do I have to ditch the Bluesound and get another streamer (with Tidal Connect)? Or do you recommend another DAC where I can connect the Bluesound?
I was in the same boat. Cambridge and Naim products have tidal connect however don’t support MQA - whether they can be updated further down the line to support the format I have no idea. Nuc/Mac mini into mqa dac was the closest/cheapest solution I found. This recent announcement of Spotify hifi has stopped that hunt for me now.

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be a lot of streamers with USB output at the moment
as you mention there are DACs like this that have USB input and MQA compliance
SMSL MQA DAC SU-9

might be possible to build a streamer with something like a Rasberry Pi with USB output to an MQA compliant DAC, that way don't have to connect an entire big computer to your DAC

As I look at a number of the streamers that use the same streaming core app, like Naim's range, Andover Songbird and Arylic type devices, I now wonder if they all, no matter what they are fed, end up outputting 16 bit audio if they output a digital signal and if so, makes me wonder what they do in terms of their analog output, maybe they even convert it to 16 bit before converting to analog because there is no way for users to really know without taking apart their circuit at a low levell. Not that 16 bit is bad or anything, just if you are wanting this high bitrate and MQA but then it all gets converted to 16 bit redbook just not sure it's worth chasing higher bitrates and MQA or not. Interesting to think about

iann

I bought the Gustard X16 for the reason it does some MQA decoding from its non USB inputs and I could use it with the Node 2i.

For the price it seems the best way to get a high quality MQA feed (or indeed any other streaming).

mermayer

No chance with the Node 2i. The MQA output is only available on the RCA connector. But the internal Node 2i DAC is not bad.
Do not be influenced by amir's measurements. The DAC still sounds very good.

iann

No chance with the Node 2i. The MQA output is only available on the RCA connector. But the internal Node 2i DAC is not bad.
Do not be influenced by amir's measurements. The DAC still sounds very good.

My understanding is that the Node does the "first unfold" as MQA call it which can then be passed to a compatible DAC. There's a bit of clarification on the Bluesound community pages somewhere...

Found it, need to read to the end though.
https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/e...ayback-Node-2i-with-Gustard-X16-External-DAC-

Top Bottom