• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer + Amp Advice

manuh

Hi there,

i'm new here in the forum but i feel thats the right place to ask.
Currently i search for a solution for my upcoming hifi setup.

I'm looking for either a all-in-one solution (streamer, dac, preamp, power amp) or seperate solution.

• I got some old passive KEF iQ7 here and i guess for now i can't afford really good active speakers so thats why i would need a power amp.
  • I have a NAS server here where i want to put my high res music.
  • Tidal, Qubuz, spotify, Roon connection should be given.
  • HDMI to connect my TV is not essential but would be nice.
  • I also plan to support my KEFs with a sub so i would need a pre out as well.
  • I'm not into high res audio(phile) yet so i don't know a lot about DSD, bitrates etc. but i seek for the best quality to date (of course ;)
  • My budget for streamer, dac, preamp + poweramp would be around 7k - 8k.
Until now i was flirting with a Linn Selekt DSM Katalyst + power amp which i could get for 5,5k € (UVP is more than 8k €). Please correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've read here you could get more for the money!? Or is this a good solution in my case, specially for 5,5k €?

Thank you for your help!
If you need some more informations please let me know.

Best regards,
Manu

Last edited:

dortreo

That kind of budget is more than adequate for a terrific set-up.

Regarding active speakers, the KEF LS50W should be within your price range and has a subwoofer out to help with the bottom end. Then it’s a matter of getting a streaming source. If Roon is a given, you could stream directly from a PC via the USB in of the LS50W or use Ethernet from a Roon streamer such as a Raspberry Pi running Roopiee.

If you want to keep your KEF speakers, you could go with an RME ADI-2 DAC, which is a popular DAC on this forum, and pair with Hypex or Purifi amps for a state of the art set up. Streamer would still be a PC running Roon or a Roon endpoint.

High res audio is good up to a point but there are definitely diminishing returns as you try to go for higher and higher bit rates. The only reason I like to have more computing power is for room correction when running Roon.

This is a nice problem to have.

OP
M

manuh

Thanks dortreo for your advice.

Though I do not want to have my PC as streamer and seek for a solution to have my music on a NAS and and a dedicated solution in my living room.
I have listened to the KEF LS50s...although they are great speakers for their size i need some floorstanding speakers most likely for my room (high ceilings, large room). Speakers are not my priority right now thoguh as mentioned.

High res audio is good up to a point but there are definitely diminishing returns as you try to go for higher and higher bit rates. The only reason I like to have more computing power is for room correction when running Roon.

Could you please explain? Why diminishing returns when using higher bit rates?

Thanks

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look at the matrix audio streamers (element series) as they are a dac, streamer, preamp and working towards roon cert. You would just need to buy an amp. They are very competitively priced (for all in ones) and would leave you with potentially extra money for other things

OP
M

manuh

Thanks, will take a look on the elements.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am in the market for the exact same thing, but i already have an amp.
Another alternative that does the exact same thing as the MA elements is the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge. Streamer, dac, preamp and roon cert. The Mytek is considerably more expensive and why it is lower on my list

OP
M

manuh

Anybody got the chance to compare the mentioned streamers against the Linn Selekt DSM with Katalyst + power amp?
Linn got the room optimisation which is a plus i guess. Katalyst is said to be great i guess!? As mentioned i got a good offer (5,5k with Katalyst+poweramp).
Linn is not so much into DSD but from what i have heard DSD is not considered to be better than flac anyways.
I'm not biased to the Linn Seket DSM and i do not need to have such beauty which certainly the Linn is...just wonder how it compares to competitors or seperate solutions.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont know which dac you were quoted with the linn but i would ask since it is upgradeable. if you got the standard one, you are comparing apples and bananas. Doesnt mean it wont sound better but to compare price it would be important to know.

OP
M

manuh

Well it is the Katalyst version as mentioned.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it appears the katalyst version can be upgraded depending upon your choice.
Which did you choose?

OP
M

manuh

hmm?? to my understanding there is a) standard DAC b) katalyst

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct. Which dac?
Its always a good thing when spending money, especially 5.5k to know what you are buying.
No one will be able to give you their input for comparison with out knowing what Linn device to be compared.
Good luck

OP
M

manuh

Hey mate, dont worry. I think i mentioned several times that it is the katalyst dac :rolleyes:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Matrix Audio Element X + Nord or Apollon Purifi monos would be my choice.

TankTop

Go buy a McIntosh MHA150 and a pair of Salk Song Towers, enjoy your music forever and go wort about other things.

dortreo

Thanks dortreo for your advice.

Though I do not want to have my PC as streamer and seek for a solution to have my music on a NAS and and a dedicated solution in my living room.
I have listened to the KEF LS50s...although they are great speakers for their size i need some floorstanding speakers most likely for my room (high ceilings, large room). Speakers are not my priority right now thoguh as mentioned.

Could you please explain? Why diminishing returns when using higher bit rates?

Thanks

The big and obvious jumps in audio quality go from mp3 to FLAC. In my experience, I don't think there are any reliably discernable audible differences in sound beyond 24 bit/192 kHz. And there's good evidence that the difference stops at 16 bits. So, any investment in DACs or computing power just to be able to handle more than 24 bit/192 kHz probably won't make a whit of difference. I'm also not a believer in DSD. It's a real resource hog and whether or not it makes a difference is debatable. I'd rather spend my computing power on room correction software.

Good, well-engineered hardware is worth the investment. And this forum continues to demonstrate that the best gear isn't always the most expensive. Unless you're talking Revel Ultima2 Salon2s.

By the way, I've paired my LS50Ws with dual Hsu ULS-15 Mk2 subs in a music only system. The sound pressure generated is impressive.

Top Bottom