• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stream audio-in to Sonos(without Sonos connect/port)

dearchap

Is there an "off-the-shelf" way to stream stereo line-in from a source to a Sonos speaker ? The Sonos options are extremely expensive. I tried the WiiM but it allows to groups only WiiM devices for stereo streaming. There is the possibility of using a NUC/PI and an audio capture card and setting up a streaming server and pointing the Sonos to an internet radio station on that server.

jensgk

Forum Donor
Maybe you could setup up your own internal home http radio station with something like icecast? I think you can also use mpd.
The same method can also be used with Roon.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Hey. So you want your Sonos speaker to play music from an external source. If it's the model 5 it has a aux in and you could just a Bluetooth receiver and stream that way. Those are cheap.

OP
D

dearchap

Nah its not the model 5. Its from output of a receiver located in basement to Sonos speakers located upstairs.

MCH

Major Contributor
You can stream from an analog source via wifi with a soundcard+raspberry pi running LMS. It works incredibly well but with some delay.
What i don't know is if you can stream that signal to a sonos speaker.
Edit: seems it could work:

If it is the case, i really recommend this solution

Last edited:

Swampwallaby

I tried the WiiM but it allows to groups only WiiM devices for stereo streaming.

Hi, could you expand on this a little? I am designing my first dabble into Home Audo and looking at a Sonos Beam Gen 2 sound bar for TV plus streaming Music. My wife has a lot of vinyl and adding an option to stream a turntable is very expensive with Sonos as you say. I am looking at a Wiim to stream the turntable but can find no information on whether than can be streamed to the Sonos in any way. Either by the Sonos app seeing the Wim as a streaming source, or the Wiim app seeing the Sonos as a destination. Thanks.

Top Bottom