• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Strategies for 100-500 Hz

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Subs seem like a "solved" problem for frequencies below about 100 Hz. That doesn't mean "easy", but there are tutorials and software to measure and tweak. And there are cardiod subs (Geithain) as well. Above about 500 Hz, room modes are no longer as problematic, and one can focus on the frequency response in more of a vacuum. Again, reflections and other issues may need to be addressed, but this is also a mostly solvable problem.

This leaves 100-500Hz as mentioned by @Sancus here: #45

Dutch and Dutch does cardiod down to 100 Hz. Kii also does something similar.

Beyond these two (and maybe a few others like GGNTKT or Buchard who do this or are working on it).

What else can be done -- is it simply a matter of playing with placement?

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Minimize SBIR issues with absorption, distance, placement and speaker design, avoid proximity to backwall and sidewalls with regards to listening position and/or deal with first reflections with broadband treatment. That's all we can do.

But most of us don't. We're stupid in that regard :D

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tower speakers

Multiple woofers and woofers near the floor seem to help somewhat, though I haven't seen this quantified anywhere. However, it's far from a real solution, even large, expensive tower speakers still often have plenty of room issues. You can see an example of this in Amir's Audyssey review. EQ helps, but you're still looking at 10dB swings which is a lot more than a W371A setup for example.

It is likely possible to use 4(or more) subs well above 100hz without localization issues, but the limit is probably somewhere around 200hz, and most subs roll off their response substantially above that point anyhow.

There was somebody working on a DIY W371A type idea, but not sure if it's going anywhere.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then again your room schroeder wouldn't be as high as 500, would it? Isn't more around 200 more typical?

Daverz

Major Contributor
Speakers in the wall. Or very close to the front wall with enough treatment of the front wall. My room is too oddly shaped to make either work. Instead I bring the speakers and the listening chair out into the middle of the room. Yeah, I live alone.

Kvalsvoll

Audio Company
Subs seem like a "solved" problem for frequencies below about 100 Hz. That doesn't mean "easy", but there are tutorials and software to measure and tweak. And there are cardiod subs (Geithain) as well. Above about 500 Hz, room modes are no longer as problematic, and one can focus on the frequency response in more of a vacuum. Again, reflections and other issues may need to be addressed, but this is also a mostly solvable problem.

This leaves 100-500Hz as mentioned by @Sancus here: #45

Dutch and Dutch does cardiod down to 100 Hz. Kii also does something similar.

Beyond these two (and maybe a few others like GGNTKT or Buchard who do this or are working on it).

What else can be done -- is it simply a matter of playing with placement?

You also need proper acoustics. Controlled radiation in this critical range makes a huge difference, but it can only do so much - no matter how perfect the speaker is, eventually the sound enters out into the room, and this sound will be reflected and thus affected by the decay characteristics of the room.

In small rooms the reflections and decay in this f range are no longer diffuse, the tend more towards specular individual resonances, and this has huge impact on midrange clarity and imaging and also affects timbre.

Fortunately, this can be fixed. And it is easier to fix with a speaker with better directivity.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think controlled directivity (D&D, Kii, B&O, MEG, W371) combined with room treatments(which actually work well in this region) is probably the best solution we have atm. Tower speakers with multiple drivers can smooth things out a bit, but not as well(ime).

Actually, I think it can be done with mostly room treatments. I'm currently using bookshelf speakers in my multichannel room, and I've been able to almost completely correct the issues in that region with careful placement of treatments. Below that is handled via multi-sub and DSP.

Last edited:

Joecarrow

I’ve encountered some corner loaded speakers that do very well with this range, such as the Lyngdorf/Tact W210, and the Murphy Corner Line Array. I have also been satisfied with dipoles in the right size of room with the right placement, but it’s not for everyone. Many rooms I’ve been in wouldn’t be able to accommodate the space requirements.

Senior NEET Engineer

Multiple woofers and woofers near the floor seem to help somewhat, though I haven't seen this quantified anywhere. However, it's far from a real solution, even large, expensive tower speakers still often have plenty of room issues. You can see an example of this in Amir's Audyssey review. EQ helps, but you're still looking at 10dB swings which is a lot more than a W371A setup for example.

It is likely possible to use 4(or more) subs well above 100hz without localization issues, but the limit is probably somewhere around 200hz, and most subs roll off their response substantially above that point anyhow.

There was somebody working on a DIY W371A type idea, but not sure if it's going anywhere.

Try experimenting with Room Simulator in Room EQ Wizard

Top Bottom