• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strangeness with topping dx3 pro

davidebond

Hi. For a series of grounds, I insert my headphone in the headphone amp which is connected via rca with the Topping dx3 pro dac. I would test a file and I plugged the headphone directly in the dac. It did not work. I used foobar2000, then I tested another player but with the same result. I am not able to listen without using the amp. The dac is a its best: 0.0 db. Why?

Thanks and best,

davide

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
It's in the manual.

It's probably set to 'line out output'. You need to enter the setup menu and change it to one of the other two output modes.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Thanks. I'll check it. Nevertheless, I didn't set the dac to "line out output". I read the manual, but it is very cryptic...

Thanks,

davide

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Per Topping/ Amazon

• Pre-amplifier function :Adapt to different usage scenarios, DX3 Pro+ has 4 output modes: Headphone Amp, Headphone Amp+ Line out, DAC, and Pre amplifier.
The manual is a mess for sure. But somewhere on the remote there is a headphone out buttton and light on the main display if set to on. Likewise there is a line out button on the remote and a light on the display.

Last edited:

Boltman92124

This is an older thread but I have a simple question(or two!) on this unit.
Can I set it up for fixed line-out and still adjust volume if using headphones? Does plugging in headphones defeat the lineout? Also, is there a decent video for instructions somewhere. The user manual is horrible. I guess I can search myself.

Thanks!

nsfgp

This is an older thread but I have a simple question(or two!) on this unit.
Can I set it up for fixed line-out and still adjust volume if using headphones? Does plugging in headphones defeat the lineout? Also, is there a decent video for instructions somewhere. The user manual is horrible. I guess I can search myself.

Thanks!
Can I set it up for fixed line-out and still adjust volume if using headphones? YES. There are separate remote buttons to select headphone-only mode and lineout-only mode which you should be using. Forget about the Headphone+Lineout-together mode because it is not practical at all.
Does plugging in headphones defeat the lineout? NO. My headphone never gets unplugged and I use lineout most of the time.

It is not rocket science. You will figure it out once you have the unit in hand.

Boltman92124

Can I set it up for fixed line-out and still adjust volume if using headphones? YES. There are separate remote buttons to select headphone-only mode and lineout-only mode which you should be using. Forget about the Headphone+Lineout-together mode because it is not practical at all.
Does plugging in headphones defeat the lineout? NO. My headphone never gets unplugged and I use lineout most of the time.

It is not rocket science. You will figure it out once you have the unit in hand.
Hey thank you!
I just got it running today in my main system. It is in headphone + lineout mode. Just pressed the headphone button for cans. TV is hooked up to it too via toslink so works well for volume control that way. Just turned volume full on the Topping for PC/CD. I'll try DAC mode next. Bluetooth working at 96khz from the phone. Sounds good too! Nice unit!

nsfgp

1686358950289.png

What I am trying to say is I would personally never use the Headphone+lineout mode (middle one above) because it is just one volume settings for both output at the same time and I cannot balance that from the Topping side. I run the risk of either blowing out my headphone or eardrum or speaker/amp if I switch between different output if I am not careful.
If you do not understand what I am saying you should. :) I think you do understand that but you also have to balance the volume settings for safe-switching from your source, speaker amp side. Un-needed complication with no real benefit.

So use either Headphone out OR LineOut. No accident because volume settings for each is independent and saved. I even disabled/removed the HP+Line mode totally in the learning remote that I use with it.

Top Bottom