• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

jani80k

@SMSL-Mandy How can I get my unit fixed?
I am in Germany. I bought from AudioDeals.

Do you have a process in place for EU customers?

Mod edit: image removed per poster request.

Last edited by a moderator:

timlub

Hello all, I received my SU-9 back from Shenzhen Audio Today. I want to remind you all. That I had my M500 for near 6 months, overall I liked it very much. Just occasionally, I would hear and edge/peak/glare that were most often in vocals, but occasionally on other things also, but I clearly did not always hear it. It was my wondering if there were other issues that made me search online and come across this thread. Not being convinced that the M500 would be corrected, I purchased the SU-9 and ran it continuously for about a week, Then I sent it off to Shenzhen for an Update.
So, it is back in my system, its been playing for about 6 hours. There are a few changes. Even though I put the input on Fixed, before I could still adjust the volume, it is now fixed at 99. I also used to dim the panel and now it does not dim completely, the good news, my little glaring problems are gone. Soundstage is slightly improved and a bit more transparency. I have no way to measure, but I've been an audiophile for near 40 years, I've taken many years to not be fooled to think something is better because I want to think it should be or just am convinced that "I" can hear a difference. I've come to realize that I can't always tell. This DAC has subtle differences that are quite welcome. I hope that this helps someone out there. Tim

+DS_DV+

I bougth mine exactly from the same seller in Germany. So far I didn't contact him yet as I'm still wondering if there will be a repair center in Europe?

mandy mentioned that they are working on a european solution. but since she was active for a week or so smsl seems to be dead again :(
i cant reach anyone for eu solutions.

IF someone finds a way (EU / Germany) pls tag me in your post!

hira

Please change the version.
The image is a quote from the link below.
I don't know why the retailer has a different manual.
Both are labeled V1.0.

https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/#su8s/1
https://www.smsl-audio.com/upload/portal/download/SU8SManual.pdf

As with the M500 SU-9 firmware,
Does anyone know if SU-8s has the same problem?
smsl3.jpg

Semla

mandy mentioned that they are working on a european solution. but since she was active for a week or so smsl seems to be dead again :(
i cant reach anyone for eu solutions.

IF someone finds a way (EU / Germany) pls tag me in your post!

Maybe @Audiophonics can help you, they seem to have an agreement with SMSL:

We will take care of these returns for update.

If you want your product to be updated, contact us by email at this address:
[email protected]
with this subject:
"SMSL Firmware update"

Then, we will give you the procedure to follow.
Do not send any product to the address listed above without contacting us first.

jani80k

jani80k

Here is the reply. @SMSL-Mandy
What is you official communication to re-sellers?
Image_794464.jpg

Jeriko

Hi, from my side I can confirm (like in the shenzenAudio post quoted above):
I bought my m500 over amazon (Germany) from shenzenAudio as seller.
They told me to send my device to audiophonics in France. So my device is on the way.. lets see whats happen.

Important: Please do not just send the device in there, but contact the seller and audiophonics beforehand!

fyi: @jani80k @+DS_DV+ @tommyst

dpippel

Here is the reply. @SMSL-Mandy
What is you official communication to re-sellers?
View attachment 141163
This is such BS. SMSL *knows* that every M500 and SU-9 in the field that hasn't had the firmware update is affected by the bug. Every. Single. Unit. So why are they putting the burden on the dealer and the CUSTOMER to prove that their DAC has a problem? Lame, lame, lame.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is such BS. SMSL *knows* that every M500 and SU-9 in the field that hasn't had the firmware update is affected by the bug. Every. Single. Unit. So why are they putting the burden on the dealer and the CUSTOMER to prove that their DAC has a problem? Lame, lame, lame.
Yeah, I asked and they “played dumb” and asked if I’d “heard the difference”.

I bought it because of the great measurement it got here. Now I need some help getting it fixed for that non-performing measurement.
How much to update it out of warranty? Maybe that’s what I need to know.
Chris

kfscoll

Yeah, I asked and they “played dumb” and asked if I’d “heard the difference”.

I bought it because of the great measurement it got here. Now I need some help getting it fixed for that non-performing measurement.
How much to update it out of warranty? Maybe that’s what I need to know.
Chris
At this point I recommend you return it, even if you have to eat a 20% restocking fee, and move on. The hassle to get this fixed just isn't worth it.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At this point I recommend you return it, even if you have to eat a 20% restocking fee, and move on. The hassle to get this fixed just isn't worth it.
Problem is, I bought it back in November 2019 and received it in December 2019/January 2021 from Amazon (Aoshida HiFi-US)
Not sure if anyone can help

chefffe

Not sure if I missed the info but is it possible to see somehow if a new deliverd SU9 or M500 is an updated one?

Semla

Not sure if I missed the info but is it possible to see somehow if a new deliverd SU9 or M500 is an updated one?

It's hard to detect without measuring as SMSL did not update the firmware version. @Audiophonics place a sticker on units they've updated (European repairs, their own stock).

Kaushama

They ask whether it works normally! So unless one has instruments to measure the deviation of the declared specification, how to tell that? It makes sounds and music! Just wordplay when the units are proven to have a deviation from declared hype!
I sent it back and exchanged it for Topping D70S.
This would be my last SMSL device.

Top Bottom