• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

timlub

Alright, its a bit past midnight, central time US... this SU-9 goes out tomorrow morning Fedex to San Diego Ca. I let you all know when it is returned and the update number. Tim

+DS_DV+

If there is an option to do a firemware upgrade via jlink i think with instructions every techsavy person would be able to copy & paste a few lines into a shell window :)

Does anyone got those kind of instructions?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Shenzhen Audio told me today that they have set up a center to do conversions in San Diego in the US. I have built a couple of DIY DAC's and have asked for the JLink tool with Firmware update.
They don't want to send jtag tool for good reason so let's not keep pushing them on that.

+DS_DV+

They don't want to send jtag tool for good reason so let's not keep pushing them on that.
ok ? can you elaborate what reasons that could be? isnt it just like a kind of serial adapter ?

+DS_DV+

If you make a mistake in the process, you could brick the DAC.
hm .. thats the case with every part of tech which you flash.
but maybe im a little bias there since i flashed gpus and even my vaccum robot is completle reflashed ^^

maybe they can at least offer it as an option like with mobile diveces. they make a copy&paste instruction set for those willing to do it themselfs (and safe time in the process) and a repaircenter for thos who are not willing to try it.

mycose

maybe they can at least offer it as an option like with mobile diveces. they make a copy&paste instruction set for those willing to do it themself

Yeah but I think it's better if we leave all of that to the experts. There's a reason why Wolf/
didn't upload the firmware file here, maybe they don't want other manufacturers or people in general to disassemble/reverse-engineer their software. That's okay I guess.

+DS_DV+

Yeah but I think it's better if we leave all of that to the experts. There's a reason why Wolf/
didn't upload the firmware file here, maybe they don't want other manufacturers or people in general to disassemble/reverse-engineer their software. That's okay I guess.
hm .. i feel offended if someone decides im not able to do s.th. ^^
but you have a point with the reverse engeneering part.
i was under the assumtion that the firmeware is all the same since the chips are often from the same manufacturers.
And the "secret sauce" could be put into a proprietary binary blob or so.
But than i never hat to do with audiochips.

juanjosaudio

Hi, new member here, I have two M500, and live in Europe. I have a question, here. Many messages before some op said that the 3rd harmonic distortion was only there if volume over 20. So my question is, if i have my M500 behind a preamp, and never raise DAC volume over 20, even if my external after DAC active preamp reamplifies the signal. I do actually get rid of the unwanted 3rd harmonic distortion problem? Or It gets back with reamplification? I usually have a tube preamp after my DAC.

Kaushama

I have read somewhere that SU-9 was made by SMSL for Shenzhenaudio. The design, sales, and servicing exclusively belong to ShAudio? If so M500 should be in the same category as it has identical DAC?

Veri

Master Contributor
I have read somewhere that SU-9 was made by SMSL for Shenzhenaudio. The design, sales, and servicing exclusively belong to ShAudio? If so M500 should be in the same category as it has identical DAC?
? Both are sold in way more channels than just ShenzhenAudio, so doubtful that is true..

Bds3151

Alright, its a bit past midnight, central time US... this SU-9 goes out tomorrow morning Fedex to San Diego Ca. I let you all know when it is returned and the update number. Tim
How will you know it was updated? I saw somewhere that the firmware number on the display doesn't change?

mycose

How will you know it was updated? I saw somewhere that the firmware number on the display doesn't change?

Most people have said that it doesn't change so there's no way to know unless you have an audio interface or other measurement equipment.

Those who have gotten brand new replacements could share the serial numbers of their buggy vs. fixed units.
I have an SU-9 (without the fix) with serial number 22184, if that helps.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Is this only SU9s being updated and supposedly fixed? I've seen nothing on m500. My POS M500 needs fixed too!

raif71

Major Contributor
Most people have said that it doesn't change so there's no way to know unless you have an audio interface or other measurement equipment.

Those who have gotten brand new replacements could share the serial numbers of their buggy vs. fixed units.
I have an SU-9 (without the fix) with serial number 22184, if that helps.
With the tool, could one 1st extract the original fw from the device, run an md5sum on it. Keep the original fw. After that program the device with the updated fw (also get the md5sum of this file). After burning the updated file, you might want to extract it and get it's md5sum. If both extracted files (before and after burned in) are different in md5sum, chances are you would have updated the fw? Just my 2 cents if this make sense.

Last edited:

the_brunx

Never has an audio product caused me so much teeth gnashing as This SMSL M500, first the thermal problem. Now this.
Apart from counting money what else does SMSL do there in their factory that it now takes someone even without professional measuring equipment to now show you these issues about your products? And you to take 2 months to respond only after immense pressure to do so, Not to mention the cheat op amps etc SMH never again

Last edited:
Top Bottom