• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

kfscoll

I bought my M500 (Sw: 1.6, Hw: 1.3) through hifi-express.com half year ago. The dealer's contact mail starts with SMSL_Mandy. Coincidence?

In lack of his/her feedback within this topic, I have contacted this person by mail, making reference to the revelations within this topic, inquiring about the possible solutions.

To my surprise (well...maybe not) the first reaction was: the unit works well, so no warranty case.

I tried to dig further.

So SMSL_Mandy is aware if the issue, pretends that the symptom does not affect the usability of the product, it is not audible, it applies to one channel only, and anyway, amirm's “normal” measurements are showing a SINAD of 117 dB, so this is fine.

If I'm still not happy, I can return it for an exchange.

My inquiry, whether the exchange unit will be corrected, remained unanswered, so far.

PS: I was also confirmed that my unit has the OP amps OPA1612 inside. Something I will definitely check in the near future.
So they're going to ignore the problem. That's real nice. If S.M.S.L. wants to live by the measurements, they'll die by the measurements. Audibility isn't the issue; meeting the advertised measurements is.

My patience is up and my M500 is going back to Amazon - I just received the return shipping label.

Take note @SMSL-Mandy...maybe you don't care, but that's three people in as many posts who've decide to return their M500 DACs since your company hasn't offered them any other recourse.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
This is a perfect example of why it's good for a company to make official statements on problem devices publicly. While I have no reason not believe the user that showed the reply from (SMSL), at the end of the day it's just "some" dude.

Also to be very clear Shenzhen Audio said nothing really "Now the current stock is the newest, no need upgrade." You said it in a post, something along the lines, 'still no word on what customers will do with their current devices'. They ghosted you after you asked for more info. I'll stand corrected but feel that was all the info that will be given.

I don't really have much more to say on the topic. I don't have any stake in the game, anymore. The only thing that I would like to see is both S.M.S.L and Shenzhen Audio publicly state what they are doing about expediting a fix and getting it to customers.

One of the many great things from the members is excellent communication, it sounds like you can email SMSL and they will mail you a Jtag for updating the SU-9. Edit:Sounds like users are reporting they have asked for jtag tools and denied. So that's that. You mileage may vary..Sounds like a royal headache!

Good luck everyone with these devices I hope you get some communication.
I like your avatar. Yes, I too demand an explanation from these two entities, by June 31 :p

kfscoll

Yup, ordered a Matrix Mini-i3 Pro to replace it.

A little story…I was having an issue with Matrix‘s MA Player software with my Element X and their lead customer service rep IM’d me directly, sent me beta firmware, and helped me get the problem resolved after-hours on a weekend. It was far above-and-beyond and is the kind of thing that engenders brand loyalty and repeat customers. Just sayin‘. ;)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Yup, ordered a Matrix Mini-i3 Pro to replace it.
Nice... but over double the price of an M500.
I was having an issue with Matrix‘s MA Player software with my Element X and their lead customer service rep IM’d me directly, sent me beta firmware, and helped me get the problem resolved after-hours on a weekend.
That is good.

JSmith

Toliandar

So i asked my retailer for a return (SU-9) and refund or for the fix to be arranged for.
Retailer says they contacted Smsl and that they are unaware of this problem.

So yes, not having an official response and recognition of the problem is an issue.

nhs

So i asked my retailer for a return (SU-9) and refund or for the fix to be arranged for.
Retailer says they contacted Smsl and that they are unaware of this problem.

So yes, not having an official response and recognition of the problem is an issue.
Haha... one of them must lie

aandres_gm

Checking SMSL's website I see they use some of these measurements for marketing purposes. At that point, they basically shot themselves on the foot and now have to deliver that performance.

Toliandar

Yep. I gather the software needed to run these tests is rather cost prohibitive?

Veri

Master Contributor
Yep. I gather the software needed to run these tests is rather cost prohibitive?
Not necessarily. REW and an ADC can show the problem, as the topic starter did his tests this way.

3125b

Major Contributor
REW is free, get the 5.20 beta for measurement purposes. Great software.
And any halfway decent USB interface will do to show that -75dB distortion spike, maybe even an onboard soundcard.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
REW is free, get the 5.20 beta for measurement purposes. Great software.
And any halfway decent USB interface will do to show that -75dB distortion spike, maybe even an onboard soundcard.
I've already verified the problem on M500 V1 with my soundcard. I posted the results many pages back. My soundcard ADC is way cleaner than M500.

Hotwetrat

I can easily believe the op amps were swapped for a whole run or maybe forever.

You don't think that's utterly criminal ?

That would lose my custom to SMSL real quick, I haven't read this long ass post has this been investigated or resolved?

If they pulled that shit with me and I found out I'd piss through there letterbox - as a start.

This kind of foul stinking skulduggery has got to be called out by the community as a team, not made light of. TOO much of this goes on in all facets of marketing today and I for one have no more tolerance left.

Last edited:

dpippel

So they're going to ignore the problem. That's real nice. If S.M.S.L. wants to live by the measurements, they'll die by the measurements. Audibility isn't the issue; meeting the advertised measurements is.

My patience is up and my M500 is going back to Amazon - I just received the return shipping label.

Take note @SMSL-Mandy...maybe you don't care, but that's three people in as many posts who've decide to return their M500 DACs since your company hasn't offered them any other recourse.

I did that same thing a couple of weeks ago. Returned my SU-9 to Amazon for a refund. I got tired of mucking around with all of these "popular" DACs that end up having one issue or another, and bought a RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Yes, it's expensive, but the VALUE of what I got for the price far outweighs the additional cost IMO. It is infinitely adjustable, has a wonderful, informative display, has a *fantastic* built-in headphone amplifier and parametric EQ, is rock-solid, and it sounds great. Best audio purchase I've made in a LONG time.

Goodbye, S.M.S.L. Goodbye, Topping. And good luck.

Last edited:

artburda

I did that same thing a couple of weeks ago. Returned my SU-9 to Amazon for a refund. I got tired of mucking around with all of these "popular" DACs that end up having one issue or another, and bought a RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Yes, it's expensive, but the VALUE of what I got for the price far outweighs the additional cost IMO. It is infinitely adjustable, has a wonderful, informative display, has a *fantastic* built-in headphone amplifier and parametric EQ, is rock-solid, and it sounds great. Best audio purchase I've made in a LONG time.

Goodbye, S.M.S.L. Goodbye, Topping. And good luck.
Totally agree with you. Just want to mention that Topping, unlike SMSL, managed the L30 situation really well and exchanged all affected units, free of cost.

Top Bottom