• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

chefffe

Ok, then lets see how SMSL will handle that. From my point of view I have no problems to do it like you did.

nhs

I think this operation is very simple for SU9 (the operation instructions are also completed --- it is currently in Chinese, and it is not very clear. I will make comments). The question now is how they provide services for the units sold. I will continue to follow up on this.

Compared to SU9, I am more worried about M500...
I personally own a SU-9, the question is how can I get such plug like you have received. One end looks like a HDMI plug and what is the other end?
If SMSL publish how the pins are soldered, may be some of us are able to solder it for oneself.

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I personally own a SU-9, the question is how can I get such plug like you have received. One end looks like a HDMI plug and what is the other end?
If SMSL publish how the pins are soldered, may be some of us are able to solder it for oneself.
I believe that there needs to be discussion within SMSL on how to provide upgrade tools and guidance.

mkawa

give smsl some time to figure out how to get the new firmware for the m500 out. now that we know it's a firmware bug, it's just an issue of figuring out how to distribute the flashers and instruct people how to use them.

they did this successfully with the sabaj d5. i don't doubt they can do this with the su-9.

my _guess_ is that with the m500 they are investigating how to establish a firmware update procedure.

also, last time i talked to mandy about my m500 cutting out (turned out to be that glitchy b550 ryzen chipset issue), she said they could easily fix it at their US facility if needed, so they have one.

jruser

@WolfX-700 Since you are in contact with them, can you ask if the Sabaj D5 shares this issue, since it is very similar to the M500?

nhs

I just checked the multitones chart made by @amirm but I couldn't recognize that 5db difference between 1khz and 2khz. Prof. Wolf, is it possible that the SINAD by multitones test after this fix is worse than with former firmware?
Do you mind to make a multitones test with new firmware?

OP
L

liu

I just checked the multitones chart made by @amirm but I couldn't recognize that 5db difference between 1khz and 2khz. Prof. Wolf, is it possible that the SINAD by multitones test after this fix is worse than with former firmware?
Do you mind to make a multitones test with new firmware?

Has nothing to do with multitone.

Chinese DACs are optimized for 1khz SINAD in order to sit on top of the SINAD chart on this forum.

optimizing for 1khz is easy --- one can tune the thd compensation for 1khz and make 2nd and 3rd harmonics really low.
However, it may affect harmonics for other frequencies.
In this case, 2khz fft clearly shows the second harmonic is way higher than that of the 1khz.

Another reason that people should read amirm's review in a critical way.

nhs

Chinese DACs are optimized for 1khz SINAD in order to sit on top of the SINAD chart on this forum.

optimizing for 1khz is easy --- one can tune the thd compensation for 1khz and make 2nd and 3rd harmonics really low.
In this case, 2khz fft clearly shows the second harmonic is way higher than that of the 1khz.

Lesson learned thank you @liu, I didn't know it.

WolfX-700

Forum Donor

I think your accusation of "Chinese DACsare optimized for 1khz SINAD in order to sit on top of the SINAD chart on this forum" is inappropriate

1KHZ is a very traditional measuring point. We can see that there are many "Chinese DACs" that perform well in the entire 20-20KHZ THD + N vs Freq measurement. we can also see that "DACs from other countries" THD+N at frequencies near 1KHZ performs better than other frequencies.

Katji

Major Contributor
I believe that there needs to be discussion within SMSL on how to provide upgrade tools and guidance.
At least it is a possibility, unlike most others. Given that there has been good support M8 firmware update.

Katji

Major Contributor
@WolfX-700 , what is the right translation with the "fever grade" thing? I just came here from post on D1SE DAC https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-d1se-balanced-es9038pro.23514/ and Shenzhen Audio page...

1621517618422.png

What's with the "fever" thing, why is that translation not sorted out? I mean it's years now, that I've been seeing it. I think I read an explanation but I can't remember. fever grade...of course Google is no help. ...High fidelity grade? Low noise grade? ...If I find the Chinese text, then I could see what translate.google does. ...

WolfX-700

Forum Donor

Katji

Major Contributor
:) Need upgrade for that translation system.
But I will go to translate.google now and translate "hi-fi" - I want to see...what is "Chinese" - Mandarin? - I think I also need an update. :)

ThomasXia

Hey, this standpoint may be TOTALLY biased.

If optimization of distortion at one specific frequency is at the cost of sacrificing performance at other frequencies. twists can be easily observed in a 20-20KHZ THD + N vs Freq graph as @WolfX-700 said. However it's hard to find this kind of measurements of the top DACs, isn't it?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hey, this standpoint may be TOTALLY biased.

If optimization of distortion at one specific frequency is at the cost of sacrificing performance at other frequencies. twists can be easily observed in a 20-20KHZ THD + N vs Freq graph as @WolfX-700 said. However it's hard to find this kind of measurements of the top DACs, isn't it?
M400?

Katji

Major Contributor
:) LOL JohnYang, I wanted to tag you in the other thread but the name drop-down is too short.

ok, so translate.google for translation of Hi-fi, then to Bing... (and same with Traditional...)

1621518749129.png

...It did not begin well with translate.google, it identifies "hi-fi" as Romanian. :rolleyes::)

1621519311614.png

1621519348115.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom