• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

Toku

Major Contributor
What's the relationship between Sabaj and SMSL? Still wondering about the D5
SMSL, Sabaj and Loxjie are the same corporate group and share product design.
Therefore, the circuit design, parts used, and appearance design are very similar. D5 is a derivative of M400.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
SMSL, Sabaj and Loxjie are the same corporate group and share product design.
Therefore, the circuit design, parts used, and appearance design are very similar. D5 is a derivative of M400.
That's the Loxjie D50. D5 is 9038pro based.

Toku

Major Contributor
That's the Loxjie D50. D5 is 9038pro based.
Opps! I made a mistake.
The same is true for the SU-9 and Sabaj A20d.

Is it difficult to solve the M500 problem? The M500 also has a problem with XLR output pop noise.
If you connect the XLR output directly to the power amplifier and turn on / off the power of the M500, you will be hit by a large pop noise.

How is the progress of the D30Pro issue?
I bought the D30 Pro right after its launch and immediately noticed a PCM 384kHz noise problem and reported it to Topping. Is this problem likely to be resolved soon?
The D30 Pro also has the problem that when switching to a song with a different bit rate, the beginning of the song disappears due to the fade-in operation.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
But how do you demonstrate that it doesn't meet its advertised specification?
As others have said it's not hard to measure this problem and provide the retailer with evidence of same... or just link them to this thread as the measurements supplied by @liu at the start of this thread should be enough evidence, for the M500 at least.

Further, you did see the opamp swap right? ;)

JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Which SMSL is the Loxjie A30 amp?
Possibly the SA-300 as they both use the same amp module, slightly different though;

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/loxjie-a30-amplifier-review.17547/
The A30 is based on Infineon MERUS™ MA12070P Digital filter-less Class-D Audio Amplifier
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...msl-sa300-infineon-class-d.12210/#post-356924
If I understand specs correctly its based on Infineon Technologies MERUS™ MA12070 measured here.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...00-infineon-class-d.12210/page-10#post-663899
EVAL_AUDIO_MA12070
Number of audio channels: 2 channels BTL or 1 channel PBTL or 2 channels SE + 1 BTL or 4 channels SE Output power per channel (2xBTL, Peak, 10% THD, 4 Ω): 2x 80 W Featured module IC: MA12070 Input: Analog OPN: EVAL_AUDIO_MA12070
EVAL_AUDIO_MA12070P
Number of audio channels: 2 channels BTL or 1 channel PBTL or 2 channels SE + 1 BTL or 4 channels SE Output power per channel (2xBTL, Peak, 10% THD, 4 Ω): 2x 80 W Featured module IC: MA12070P Input: Digital OPN: EVAL_AUDIO_MA12070P

The one installed in the SMSL AS300 is the version with analogue input, otherwise it would not have RCA-ins and you can see it on pictures of the platina.

JSmith

aandres_gm

How is the progress of the D30Pro issue?
I bought the D30 Pro right after its launch and immediately noticed a PCM 384kHz noise problem and reported it to Topping. Is this problem likely to be resolved soon?
The D30 Pro also has the problem that when switching to a song with a different bit rate, the beginning of the song disappears due to the fade-in operation.
Firmware update is coming, as per John. Also, I haven't noticed the second issue you mention, it probably got fixed already. Good thing is you can update via USB

fluufy

Further, you did see the opamp swap right? ;)

JSmith

I certainly did! The evidence isn’t needed unless you take them to a Tribunal (cheap but very tedious - I have done it for a $10k item), usually a phone call from the Department of Fair Trading is as far as it goes. Rarely necessary though, the law has totally changed our business culture. Except for the banks, it does not apply to them so no surprise there.

Anyway, if the SU9 is a relatively easy fix I might just pay the difference to switch the M500 for that, it will look nice with the SH9.

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
up4.jpg

up5.jpg

up8.jpg

OP
L

liu

Wait why one channel has 5db better sinad than the other?

Reactions: nhs

Veri

Master Contributor
Is this do-able for 'Jan met de pet' ? (for everyone without knowledge)
Ha-ha, that Neverlands terminology :D

Great to see SMSL figured out a fix. (will this be possible for M500 and SU-9, both?).

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is this do-able for 'Jan met de pet' ? (for everyone without knowledge)
I think this operation is very simple for SU9 (the operation instructions are also completed --- it is currently in Chinese, and it is not very clear. I will make comments). The question now is how they provide services for the units sold. I will continue to follow up on this.

Compared to SU9, I am more worried about M500...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this operation is very simple for SU9 (the operation instructions are also completed --- it is currently in Chinese, and it is not very clear. I will make comments). The question now is how they provide services for the units sold. I will continue to follow up on this.

Compared to SU9, I am more worried about M500...

I can foresee a situation for M500 owners where they are asked to return to China for a fix to be applied. Which isnt really an option given costs , risk of loss etc. Doesnt seem like a remote firmware update is possible and regular Joe's like me will do more harm than good trying to access the guts to plug something in.

I see a recall/ replace coming!

chefffe

But also for the SU9 it will most likely never work simply over USB and you always need this plug, right?

Top Bottom