• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Imagine the outrage of the outraged generation if Toyota decided to fit Michelin tyres rather than Pirrelis.

My Toyota came with Hankooks, though I would have preferred Michelin (and asked), and will likely use them at replacement time, if it ever comes.. Other Camry models came with Michelins.

However, at 16,000 miles, I'm satisfied with the ride, handling, and wear of the Hankooks (mfd in Korea, presumably on the south side of the 38th).

My motorcycle came with Michelin, then tried Pirelli (the whole experience sucked), Continental (front wore badly) and now Michelins again, which ride with an amazing neutrality in the curves - it just settles into any bank angle and goes with it, no effort to keep the line.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My Toyota came with Hankooks, though I would have preferred Michelin (and asked), and will likely use them at replacement time, if it ever comes.. Other Camry models came with Michelins.

I thought we were talking about D/A converters and channel issues. How did tyres (tires) on cars get into the conversation?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's tiring.... those thread derailments.
Trains also have tires (not rubber though but steel) and when these tires break there is a high chance of derailment as well.

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Okay, I went back to my studio. The M500 I bought before has been sent to SMSL, and now this M500 is provided by SMSL:
QQ图片20210505230118.jpg

QQ图片20210505230126.jpg

M500-2-UNBAL.jpg

M500-2-BAL.jpg

M500-2-BAL-DF.jpg

Obviously, no issues were found on this device... this caused my confusion instead. I will start further communication with SMSL tomorrow and ask them to explain the reasons for the differences between the two devices (hope they can provide me with enough information)

jani80k

Interesting.
I am from Germany. I have a v1 with the old hardware revision and also with the temp issues.
I own a Focusrite 6i6 Audiointerface with XLR input and could do measurements if someone could instruct me which program to use and which option to choose.
I can post the results here for your information.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Morpheus85

It is astonishing that Geshelli has already recognized the problem with the temperatures and therefore the 9038 was not used. The question is whether other devices are also affected.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
So SMSL fixed it and sent out a fixed unit. Glad they fixed it but it would be nice to know what's broken in existing units.

kfscoll

It is interesting that the new unit that SMSL sent to WolfX has the same software and hardware revision numbers as (presumably defective) units already in the field. If you take at face value the fact that the HW/SW revision numbers are the same, it indicates that nothing has changed.

Hmmm...I sure hope that SMSL isn't trying to pull a fast one.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Yea, I don't know what the point of sending a fixed unit out and not saying what they fixed. LOL. Maybe it was all in our heads.

RobS

Forum Donor
The advertised chip, opa1612, isn't in the product, but they decided to use a much cheaper opamp instead. Also the measurements don't match Amir's.

So Topping/SMSL is duping customers once again. Why the hell are these two brands still recommended here? They send Amir cherry picked samples and then sell customers products that ain't as advertised.

kfscoll

The advertised chip, opa1612, isn't in the product, but they decided to use a much cheaper opamp instead. Also the measurements don't match Amir's.

So Topping/SMSL is duping customers once again. Why the hell are these two brands still recommended here? They send Amir cherry picked samples and then sell customers products that ain't as advertised.
Until/unless we hear something from SMSL, that sure is what it’s starting to look like. I guess their strategy paid off (at least in the short term) as far as it relates to me though; I bought an M500 and an M400/SP400 stack based on the reviews here. Meh, we’ll see, but I probably should’ve stuck with Matrix Audio.

Tks

Major Contributor
Until/unless we hear something from SMSL, that sure is what it’s starting to look like. I guess their strategy paid off (at least in the short term) as far as it relates to me though; I bought an M500 and an M400/SP400 stack based on the reviews here. Meh, we’ll see, but I probably should’ve stuck with Matrix Audio.

Definitely not a good look given the history of periodic mishaps of this sort.

As for Matrix Audio, they seem pretty legit (tbh they make the best quality cases at the price point with their higher tiered offerings (I can't stress how much I love the case for something like their MA Sabre X Pro DAC). But they also have issues of a different sort. Since they have a far more serious software leaning of their products, there's constant complaints about updates botching certain things, or functions not working as intended (things like DLNA, roon, display settings, and stupid stuff like that should be ironed out properly before set for prime time release). But at least that stuff is excusable since it's mostly software updates.

Things like advertising certain parts on a PCB, yet when people open up the cases finding other things.. That's really bad.

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Though you can buy five x M500 for the price of one MA Sabre X Pro DAC .

Maybe if all the Chinese DACs were priced at one or two thousand pounds ?

JSmith

Master Contributor
Yep... and Matrix Audio products are certainly not perfect either and a quite pricey in comparison as you say.

Hoping the SU-9 arrive soon for @WolfX-700 to test and will be quite interested in further responses from SMSL who have logins here and can post direct in this thread.

JSmith

4udio

Maybe if all the Chinese DACs were priced at one or two thousand pounds ?
When people give money for new device, they expect to have device that works correctly and have all features and components that are advertised. This is the same regardless the price. Low price is not excuse for malfunctioning product.
False advertisements have been against low ( in whole world) for a long time.
And just to be clear, I've owned several Topping and SMSL products and I haven't had any issue with them. At the moment I own SU-9 so I'm interested in this thread.

Satyadhara

Mine has the serial number 190191521. Wonder if it is affected or not... I hope SMSL will issue a statement soon!

Top Bottom