• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

chefffe

Hello to all!
I thought I should share this here as well.

I found an indicator of the new Firmware!

I want to thank everyone that provided support, in one way or the other, with this issue.
Hopefully this will help.
Just received word from Vendor, and my unit is new and updated with New Firmware.
I measured it, and left and right are showing equally good. so, if you have the same Version screen as
I do, with no "2020" Year, you are all set and good to go.

I hope this can help anyone trying to determine if their unit is updated or not.

The sound is detailed, smooth, not fatiguing, a lot of resolution without harshness.
Can listed for hours.
Great implementation of the ESS chip, this is end game for me.
SMSL SU-9 and SP-200, my new Monitoring setup, I want another one for the chain to AD back to the box.

Have fun and happy listening!
All the Best!
Ryctor_
Mine shows 2020 and was updated from audiophonics france. I especially sent it there for update ...

Ryctor87

Mine shows 2020 and was updated from audiophonics france. I especially sent it there for update ...
Hello,

I would run a test with REW to see if it still distorts in one channel. I believe 2020 is the old firmware. Keep us posted. Thanks for sharing!

R_

PH14

Anyone got a MK II and test this? Would be hilarious if these didn't have the fix, but better check. Anything else the MK II does better or worse?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone got a MK II and test this? Would be hilarious if these didn't have the fix, but better check. Anything else the MK II does better or worse?
Amir tested it and (I think ) he tested for this issue.

EDIT- yes he did

It is my pleasure to recommend SMSL M500 MKII.

P.S. I did test for one channel being active which was an issue with the original M500 and the bug is not here so all is good.

PH14

Duh, why didn't that review show up when I searched? Thanks! I'll try again.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Duh, why didn't that review show up when I searched? Thanks! I'll try again.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can someone explain this issue to me without having to read 54 pages.. I own an SU9/SH9 stack, am I really getting mid 80db SINAD performance when I listen to stereo sources or does the "bug" only show its face if you play a stereo source with left channel content only.

Want to make sure I understand the issue. Also, is SMSL offering to do anything about this for current SU9 owners or are we screwed?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone explain this issue to me without having to read 54 pages.. I own an SU9/SH9 stack, am I really getting mid 80db SINAD performance when I listen to stereo sources or does the "bug" only show its face if you play a stereo source with left channel content only.

Want to make sure I understand the issue. Also, is SMSL offering to do anything about this for current SU9 owners or are we screwed?
The bug is when the 2 channels are playing anything different (and presumably you ain't playing many mono recordings). But reducing the output level (on the M500 IIRC I think level 30 /40 is enough) prevents the large harmonics to a great degree. So if you've been at or near full output with stereo then yes you've been affected.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
The bug is when the 2 channels are playing anything different (and presumably you ain't playing many mono recordings). But reducing the output level (on the M500 IIRC I think level 30 /40 is enough) prevents the large harmonics to a great degree. So if you've been at or near full output with stereo then yes you've been affected.
I bought my SU-9 in October of 2020, have other people had success in getting their units repaired or replaced by SMSL?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought my SU-9 in October of 2020, have other people had success in getting their units repaired or replaced by SMSL?
I believe so. Think it depends where you are on how it works. I'm in the UK and audiophonics in france handled any European cases I read about.

For my m500 it just sounded like a hassle I didn't need given my kit has moved on but it somewhat coloured my view of the whole "great measuring, great value" angle.

Contact your seller and then smsl direct if vendor doesn't respond. @SMSL-Mandy is active on here

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
because hearing and listening doesn't seem to be their thing !
LOL, hapless forum brigading from people who barely know how to use the internet. Nice first post champ.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
lol, poor Dookie's not having much fun as a geek who chases inaudible spikes & doesn't care much for music. Chin up lil fella, here's to tomorrow.
Back to AudioGon with ya, clown.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Is that all you got, Peaches ? And here i am hoping you wouldn't dissappoint . Maybe you should've gotten measurements for that clapback first. This is probably the most fun you've had all year, genius. cheers..
You’re the one who signed up here just to talk shit. Only problem is it kinda falls flat when you don't even attempt to refute any of the main points being made here.

Post pics of your snake oily setup, would love to read all about it.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
well at least we both have a real disdain for snake oil ! that's something and you can "refute" deez nutz, fool...
Aww, won’t share your setup with the group, how cute.

nekki4cm

Just dropped an email
Hi All,
I've got a replacement unit for my SMSL SU-9 from Amazon.
Now I've got a brand new unit with s/n beginning with DAC6xxxx.
This little black box is working fine by now, very nice DAC !
Thanks to @SMSL_Mandy and [email protected] for the help provided.

This SU-9 is a very good DAC ;)
Thanks. Just dropped an email to @SMSL-Mandy, look forward to how they respond.

Norv

Lurker reporting in, it sure if it’s of interest but I’ve been ok with my 500 for a while, the form factor is perfect just don’t like what I’m reading and it’s not good for my chakras! I spoke to Amazon today after purchasing in 2019! Said very briefly “scam, op amps not the same, measurements lie”

Was offered a full refund from Amazon instantly

Was the easiest return ever so not sure if it’s on a list of products the CS reps referred to and allowed the late return

Top Bottom